OFF TO THE RACES WITH THE D60 !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Annika1980

    Dave Guest

    What flash do you use?

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision, captured

    less

    Dave, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/19/04 10:37 PM, in article
    , "Annika1980"
    <> wrote:

    > Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision, captured less
    > than an hour ago with the Totally Digital D60 (of course!).
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/26205552/original

    Where was the canary?

    George Kerby, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Annika1980

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (Annika1980) wrote:

    >Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision, captured less
    >than an hour ago with the Totally Digital D60 (of course!).
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/26205552/original

    That's a nice photograph. Definitely needs a crop. But it's good.

    I keep asking for ANYONE to show some examples of good photography
    with a d60, rebel, 10d, whatever. And this is a good photograph. But
    you don't know how rare it is, for this line of cameras - at least
    judging from what I've seen posted on the web.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Annika1980

    The Dave© Guest

    > Annika1980 wrote:
    > Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision,
    > captured less than an hour ago with the Totally Digital D60 (of
    > course!).

    Dammit, Bret! That one was actually pretty good.

    --
    "Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the
    surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us,

    The Dave©, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Dave"

    >What flash do you use?

    The Most EXcellent 550EX.

    Annika1980, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Annika1980

    Mark M Guest

    "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > (Annika1980) wrote:
    >
    > >Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision, captured

    less
    > >than an hour ago with the Totally Digital D60 (of course!).
    > >
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/26205552/original

    > That's a nice photograph. Definitely needs a crop. But it's good.
    >
    > I keep asking for ANYONE to show some examples of good photography
    > with a d60, rebel, 10d, whatever. And this is a good photograph. But
    > you don't know how rare it is, for this line of cameras - at least
    > judging from what I've seen posted on the web.

    What would you say constitutes a "good" photo?

    Mark M, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Annika1980

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote:

    >"Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> (Annika1980) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Take a break from Trolldom and enjoy this high-speed collision, captured

    >less
    >> >than an hour ago with the Totally Digital D60 (of course!).
    >> >
    >> >http://www.pbase.com/image/26205552/original

    >> That's a nice photograph. Definitely needs a crop. But it's good.
    >>
    >> I keep asking for ANYONE to show some examples of good photography
    >> with a d60, rebel, 10d, whatever. And this is a good photograph. But
    >> you don't know how rare it is, for this line of cameras - at least
    >> judging from what I've seen posted on the web.

    >What would you say constitutes a "good" photo?

    I just pointed one out.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Annika1980

    > "Mark M" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message

    captured
    > >less

    > >> That's a nice photograph. Definitely needs a crop. But it's good.
    > >>
    > >> I keep asking for ANYONE to show some examples of good photography
    > >> with a d60, rebel, 10d, whatever. And this is a good photograph. But
    > >> you don't know how rare it is, for this line of cameras - at least
    > >> judging from what I've seen posted on the web.

    > >What would you say constitutes a "good" photo?

    > I just pointed one out.

    I was serious.
    What have you noted as lacking in other pictures, and what is it you look
    for when identifying a "good photograph"?

    Mark M, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Annika1980

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Mark Johnson, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Annika1980

    Drifter Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:48:06 -0800, Mark Johnson
    >I keep asking for ANYONE to show some examples of good photography
    >with a d60, rebel, 10d, whatever. And this is a good photograph. But
    >you don't know how rare it is, for this line of cameras - at least
    >judging from what I've seen posted on the web.

    I haven't added anything for a while but here's some of my experiments
    with the 10D. I suppose I need to quit being lazy and get more out
    but I just don't have the drive in the winter <grin>

    http://www.pbase.com/zespectre/root

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Annika1980

    > "Mark M" <> wrote:
    >
    > >what is it you look for when identifying a "good photograph"?

    > Oddly enough, I have an essay on the subject:
    >
    > http://www.scenic-route.com/essays/photog.htm

    Yipe.
    I don't mean to be overly blunt, but this essay is nearly unreadable.
    I'm guessing this was turned in for an 8th grade photography class (?).
    Grade:
    D-

    Mark M, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Annika1980

    Mark M Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark M" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >what is it you look for when identifying a "good photograph"?

    > > Oddly enough, I have an essay on the subject:
    > >
    > > http://www.scenic-route.com/essays/photog.htm

    > Yipe.
    > I don't mean to be overly blunt, but this essay is nearly unreadable.
    > I'm guessing this was turned in for an 8th grade photography class (?).
    > Grade:
    > D-

    OK...that was rude.
    Sorry.
    Your previous lack of an answer got me in critique mode...
    I do think you should read your essay again, or perhaps have someone do some
    editing/proof-reading --with specific attention to flow and readability.
    Normally I wouldn't comment this way, but when you flag it as an answer
    here, you should expect it.

    Mark M, Feb 21, 2004
  14. Annika1980

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote:

    >I do think you should read your essay again, or perhaps have someone do some
    >editing/proof-reading

    That's fine. But what, exactly, couldn't you read? I myself am not
    trying to be rude. But was it just too much text - too many words
    without charts or diagrams to break it up. Maybe it's more difficult
    to read with the font you chose, on a computer screen? What,
    specifically, couldn't you read?

    Mark Johnson, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Annika1980

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 22 Feb 2004 05:23:05
    -0800, Mark Johnson <> wrote:

    >"Mark M" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I do think you should read your essay again, or perhaps have someone do some
    >>editing/proof-reading

    >That's fine. But what, exactly, couldn't you read? I myself am not
    >trying to be rude. But was it just too much text - too many words
    >without charts or diagrams to break it up. Maybe it's more difficult
    >to read with the font you chose, on a computer screen? What,
    >specifically, couldn't you read?

    I personally find that the choice of font and background make it difficult to
    read. When there is a significant quantity of text, a serif font chosen for
    readability should normally be used over a relatively plain background.
    (Sans-serif fonts are better for labels, etc., and textured backgrounds should
    be reserved for special purposes, such as certificates.) I also personally
    find the writing style, particularly the sentence structure and punctuation,
    to be awkward, clumsy, and confusing. Your presentation is getting in the way
    of your message.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 22, 2004
  16. Annika1980

    Mark M Guest

    Jahn Navas wrote:

    >I also personally
    > find the writing style, particularly the sentence structure and

    punctuation,
    > to be awkward, clumsy, and confusing. Your presentation is getting in the

    way
    > of your message.

    This is precisely what I meant also. Sentence structure is very odd and
    quite jumbled.
    You seem to have injected commas almost randomly. Sentences lose their
    focus and break apart into tiny bits and pieces of thought that don't
    necessarily lead anywhere.

    Mark M, Feb 22, 2004
  17. Annika1980

    > "Mark M" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I do think you should read your essay again, or perhaps have someone do

    some
    > >editing/proof-reading

    > That's fine. But what, exactly, couldn't you read? I myself am not
    > trying to be rude. But was it just too much text - too many words
    > without charts or diagrams to break it up. Maybe it's more difficult
    > to read with the font you chose, on a computer screen? What,
    > specifically, couldn't you read?

    See John's reply, and my reply to him.

    Mark M, Feb 22, 2004
  18. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark Johnson wrote:
    > "Mark M" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I do think you should read your essay again, or perhaps have someone
    >> do some editing/proof-reading

    > That's fine. But what, exactly, couldn't you read? I myself am not
    > trying to be rude. But was it just too much text - too many words
    > without charts or diagrams to break it up. Maybe it's more difficult
    > to read with the font you chose, on a computer screen? What,
    > specifically, couldn't you read?

    I believe you have a good eye for photography, and your concepts may be
    plain and clear to you, but:

    "Justification," as in text on a page, inhibits the natural flow of access
    by the human brain;

    *Bold* or apparent bold applied to complete paragraphs has a similar effect,
    and is used-often unconsciously-as a crutch for a weak position, *like
    shouting in a debate*;

    (I believe there is research showing Sans Serif is "easier" to read
    on-screen than is Serif, which is easier in print)

    (That research also ranks backgrounds and text colors and combinations with
    regard to accessibility).

    You may offer much valuable knowledge and insight that will never reach its
    audience, if you obscure it with stilted, clunky,
    struggling-across-the-loose-sand prose. I have to be convinced very early
    that the value is worth the struggle. Too many barriers, lazy me will find a
    less effortful, more profitable means to waste-erm, spend-time.

    Write short sentences. Remember, for most uses, if not all, in expository
    writing, commas are evil.

    In summary, I might read your essays beyond the first few sentences if it
    were not for what seem to me to be your "tin ear" for language and "tin eye"
    for Web presentation. Why would I expect anything better in your field of
    expertise, given these clues?

    Beyond my few suggestions (Un-justify, Un-bold, Un-texture, Un-clunky), seek
    professional assistance.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Feb 22, 2004
  19. Annika1980

    John Navas Guest

    In <2K5_b.5233$> on Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:33:50
    GMT, "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    >Write short sentences. Remember, for most uses, if not all, in expository
    >writing, commas are evil.

    Four commas in that last sentence. Or was that your point? :)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 22, 2004
  20. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <2K5_b.5233$> on Sun, 22 Feb 2004
    > 17:33:50 GMT, "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Write short sentences. Remember, for most uses, if not all, in
    >> expository writing, commas are evil.

    > Four commas in that last sentence. Or was that your point? :)

    good ear

    Frank ess, Feb 22, 2004