Off eBay - lense offers too good to be true ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I got the offer below per e-mail via eBay after having been bidding
    on a 28-135mm IS USM. Is this too good to be true ?

    The MoneyOrder worries me. Prefers credit card, or at least an escrow
    agent. Anybody seen something like it ?

    I don't worry that much about my packet, but rather my money ;-)

    Mail below:
    ---------------------------
    Dear customer,
    We saw you'r bid for the Canon EF 28-135mm Image Stabilizer Ultrasonic
    and we would like to make you an offer.
    We could offer you the same unit to buy now without the auction for 250 EURO.
    We will use UPS for shipping and Moneyorder service for payment.
    Our company offer you shippment inssured - INTERNATIONALY/INSIDE
    COUNTRY shipped.
    Shipping will take usually - 24/48 hours
    Shipping is made using UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE(UPS) SERVICE
    Shipping is absolutely FREE! Yes, that's right. SHIPPING IS FREE! Not
    only is shipping FREE but you will also receive 100% protection from
    loss or damage with our "On the House" FULL INSURANCE coverage. Your
    shipment will be professionally secured with heavy-duty packaging designed
    to protect the contents of your shipment cross country. The moment your
    package sets foot on the u.p.s. truck we'll email you your tracking numbers.
    How? We carefully place them on the trucks ourselves! With the click of
    your mouse you'll have the comfort of knowing where your package is at
    all times! Buy from us and your transaction will be 100% HEADACHE FREE!
    And if any problems do arise, we'll take care of all the paperwork and
    ship you replacement parts within a few days. No other Company can offer
    you that kind of SECURITY and PEACE OF MIND. Did your entire package get
    lost? We'll replace your entire machine for you for FREE! How can we do
    that you might ask?. Our customer service professiona!ls are ready to
    help you every step of the way . We strive for QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.
    Here you will receive the individualized care you deserve
    If you are interested please advice us how many units you want to buy and
    send us the shipping details so we could make you an offer.
    We are looking forward to hear from you.
    Thank you in advance for your time,
    Kind Regards,

    <NO NAME WAS INCLUDED, JUST EBAY DETAILS>

    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Povl H. Pedersen

    Coolasblu Guest

    Beware - be very aware.

    This looks like a similar email to one I received from a Romanian rogue
    trader who was advertising on Amazon. He took the money I sent him and ran.

    If its looks too good to be true,then it is...

    Coolasblu, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Povl H. Pedersen

    Frank Weston Guest

    If they'll take credit cards, go for it. If not forget it, it's a scam.

    Frank Weston, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Povl H. Pedersen

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I got the offer below per e-mail via eBay after having been bidding
    > on a 28-135mm IS USM. Is this too good to be true ?
    >
    > The MoneyOrder worries me. Prefers credit card, or at least an escrow
    > agent. Anybody seen something like it ?
    >
    > I don't worry that much about my packet, but rather my money ;-)

    You can dispute a credit card purchase, with a money order your outta luck.
    Only buy with a payment you can dispute.

    Jim Waggener, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Povl H. Pedersen

    steve Guest

    Let me get this straight --

    You received an unsolicited offer from a previously unknown party to
    sell you something via email.

    That alone is grounds (in my opinion) to simply delete the email. I bet
    you its a scam.

    steve

    steve, Dec 26, 2003
  6. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:56:35 -0500, "Frank Weston"
    <> wrote:

    >If they'll take credit cards, go for it. If not forget it, it's a scam.

    Remember too that they are operating against e-bay policy. So if their
    ethics are a bit suspect, plus their offer seems to be too good to be
    true then it probably is.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >"Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I got the offer below per e-mail via eBay after having been bidding
    >> on a 28-135mm IS USM. Is this too good to be true ?

    <snip>

    Roger Halstead, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Povl H. Pedersen

    Gavin Cato Guest

    What he emailed you is basically a scam template I've seen many times
    before, he sends it to dozens & dozens of people.

    Don't send him a cent, he's a scammer.

    Gavin Cato, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Povl H. Pedersen

    zeitgeist Guest

    outside of ebay so no protection, he takes the money and runs.

    every time I bid on something expensive I get a couple of those. I report
    them all cause they are using stolen ebay accounts to post from. look at
    his feedback, its probably great, but not a single sale of similar items,
    just CDs or beanie babies, now they are selling new expensive camera gear
    for half the whole sale price,

    zeitgeist, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Povl H. Pedersen

    Top Spin Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 06:08:54 GMT, "zeitgeist" <>
    wrote:

    >outside of ebay so no protection, he takes the money and runs.
    >
    >every time I bid on something expensive I get a couple of those. I report
    >them all cause they are using stolen ebay accounts to post from. look at
    >his feedback, its probably great, but not a single sale of similar items,
    >just CDs or beanie babies, now they are selling new expensive camera gear
    >for half the whole sale price,

    Yep, that just happened to me. I bought an $1,100 DVD recorder for
    $750. The seller had thousands of feedback with 98+% positive. Sadly,
    I never checked the actual feedback items.

    A few days later, I got an alert from another buyer who also got
    scammed. THEN I checked the feedback and all of it was over a year old
    except for about 30 in the past few weeks all negative and claiming
    fraud.

    Fortunately, I paid via PayPal or a protected auction so I should get
    most of it back.

    I am a little annoyed at eBay for not flagging this as 10-15 were had
    before I was. Of course, I could have read the feedback more carefully
    -- I sure will from now on.

    --
    Using an Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom
    Running Win2K SR-1
    For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

    Top Spin, Dec 27, 2003
  10. sounds like a scam - spam email.
    if they are true ebay folk, they will give you their ebay id and you
    can check their feedback. i buy a lot from ebay and have never had a
    problem. i can not say the same of of many dot com enterprises.

    also, what they are doing id very very much against ebay policy. ebay
    wants and demands that 100% of the activity goes through them (they
    want the money, duh) and will react sternly to those ebayers that try
    to sidestep the process.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Povl H. Pedersen

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    This is a violation of eBay policies for contacting its users. Sounds
    too much like a scam - I would report it to eBay just in case. Wouldn't want
    the scam to catch anyone else off guard.

    Chris Hoopes, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Povl H. Pedersen

    Charlie Self Guest

    Chris Hoopes notes:

    > This is a violation of eBay policies for contacting its users. Sounds
    >too much like a scam - I would report it to eBay just in case. Wouldn't want
    >the scam to catch anyone else off guard.
    >

    >"Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I got the offer below per e-mail via eBay after having been bidding
    >> on a 28-135mm IS USM. Is this too good to be true ?
    >>
    >> The MoneyOrder worries me. Prefers credit card, or at least an escrow
    >> agent. Anybody seen something like it ?
    >>
    >> I don't worry that much about my packet, but rather my money ;-)
    >>
    >> Mail below:
    >> ---------------------------
    >> Dear customer,
    >> We saw you'r bid for the Canon EF 28-135mm Image Stabilizer Ultrasonic
    >> and we would like to make you an offer.
    >> We could offer you the same unit to buy now without the auction for 250

    >EURO.
    >> We will use UPS for shipping and Moneyorder service for payment.
    >> Our company offer you shippment inssured - INTERNATIONALY/INSIDE
    >> COUNTRY shipped.
    >> Shipping will take usually - 24/48 hours
    >> Shipping is made using UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE(UPS) SERVICE

    Rip off, almost guaranteed. ANY time they want what is essentially cash in
    hand, while the product is sight unseen, you're screwed. And you'll stay that
    way as there's no way to locate these people.

    Charlie Self
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
    it to. " Dorothy Parker

    Charlie Self, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Well, you've also got another option.......

    Send 'em BACK an email refusing any of their payment terms and offer instead to
    evaluate the lens first. They send it to you, since you're easily as ethical as
    these folks are. If the lens passes your examination you'll then send them a
    money order. Otherwise, they provide a postpaid return and you'll send back the
    lens...

    Since you already KNOW their original is an invitation to a scam that'll cost
    you whatever you spend, you have nothing to lose...

    I got a ton of these offers when I was looking for my Fuji S2. Most offered me
    one for less than $900... I always responded as above. I never heard from them
    again.... hehehehe...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Jan 3, 2004