Ofcom consultation on VoIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Paul Cupis, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Paul Cupis

    Paul Cupis Guest

    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/

    Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    and some feedback from this group.

    Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):

    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    ===
    Advice for consumers:

    If you’re considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    service can and can’t do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    check on:

    * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    * Find out what happens if there’s a problem with your broadband
    connection – will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    telephone connection?
    ===

    Paul Cupis, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Paul Cupis

    John DH Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/
    >
    > Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    > and some feedback from this group.
    >
    > Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):
    >
    > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    > ===
    > Advice for consumers:
    >
    > If you’re considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    > service can and can’t do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    > check on:
    >
    > * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    > provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    > * Find out what happens if there’s a problem with your broadband
    > connection – will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    > telephone connection?
    > ===

    Oh boy. They just don't get it do they.

    John DH, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Paul Cupis

    Paul Cupis Guest

    John DH wrote:
    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >>http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    >>===
    >>Advice for consumers:
    >>
    >>If you’re considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    >>service can and can’t do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    >>check on:
    >>
    >> * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    >>provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    >> * Find out what happens if there’s a problem with your broadband
    >>connection – will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    >>telephone connection?
    >>===

    > Oh boy. They just don't get it do they.

    No. Please tell them:
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/form?a=87101

    Responding to the consultation (i.e. following their procedure for
    feedback) is the best thing people on this group can do to guide them.

    Paul Cupis, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Paul Cupis

    Guest

    John DH <> wrote:

    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/
    > >
    > > Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    > > and some feedback from this group.
    > >
    > > Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):
    > >
    > > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    > > ===
    > > Advice for consumers:
    > >
    > > If you?re considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    > > service can and can?t do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    > > check on:
    > >
    > > * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    > > provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    > > * Find out what happens if there?s a problem with your broadband
    > > connection ? will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    > > telephone connection?
    > > ===

    > Oh boy. They just don't get it do they.

    While I sort of see where you're coming from the questions above do
    make some sense.

    E.g. has the 'consumer' even bothered to think about what happens if
    there's a power failure? No, the VOIP provider can't do much about it
    if there is but the user needs to at least be aware of the issue.

    The second question is similar, no the VOIP provider hasn't really got
    much to do with it but the user most certainly does need to address
    the issue.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Feb 22, 2006
  5. Paul Cupis

    Ian Guest

    "John DH" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/
    > >
    > > Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    > > and some feedback from this group.
    > >
    > > Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):
    > >
    > > http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    > > ===
    > > Advice for consumers:
    > >
    > > If you're considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    > > service can and can't do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    > > check on:
    > >
    > > * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    > > provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    > > * Find out what happens if there's a problem with your broadband
    > > connection - will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    > > telephone connection?
    > > ===

    > Oh boy. They just don't get it do they.

    These are both very valid questions, More so in the business area, But as
    more people think of dumping ther BT line and just phone over the cable link
    it has to be thought about and valid questions, also I would expect a Voip
    supplier to be able to supply uptime stats and some type of SLA.

    Ian, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Paul Cupis

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > John DH <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/
    >>>
    >>>Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    >>>and some feedback from this group.
    >>>
    >>>Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    >>>===
    >>>Advice for consumers:
    >>>
    >>>If you?re considering VoIP, ask the provider to explain what their
    >>>service can and can?t do, before you sign up. Here are some things to
    >>>check on:
    >>>
    >>> * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    >>>provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;
    >>> * Find out what happens if there?s a problem with your broadband
    >>>connection ? will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    >>>telephone connection?
    >>>===

    >>Oh boy. They just don't get it do they.

    > While I sort of see where you're coming from the questions above do
    > make some sense.

    For a consumer to ask a VoIP service provider? They make sense a little,
    but they make little sense a lot.

    > E.g. has the 'consumer' even bothered to think about what happens if
    > there's a power failure? No, the VOIP provider can't do much about it
    > if there is but the user needs to at least be aware of the issue.

    Yes, the consumer should be aware, no the consumer should not bother
    asking the VoIP service provider.

    > The second question is similar, no the VOIP provider hasn't really got
    > much to do with it but the user most certainly does need to address
    > the issue.

    Again, the VoIP provider has nothing to do with it.

    Paul Cupis, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Paul Cupis

    Joe Harrison Guest

    I suppose Ofcom have good intentions but really I don't want them poking
    their nose into exactly what kind of packets I'm sending over my broadband
    connection.

    Joe

    Joe Harrison, Feb 25, 2006
  8. Paul Cupis

    Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:15:30 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    >Ofcom have a consulation on VoIP, starting today. Might be worth a read
    >
    >Contains such gems as this (snipped, but context is correct):
    >
    >http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/voipregulation/advice/?a=87101
    >===
    > * Does the VoIP service depend on your power supply? Ask the
    >provider if they offer back up power in case of power cuts;

    > * Find out what happens if there’s a problem with your broadband
    >connection – will the VoIP provider offer back up via a traditional
    >telephone connection?

    I know some providers can divert VOIP calls to a landline if your VOIP
    phone stops registering.

    , Mar 7, 2006