OER and load balancing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by news.scarlet.be, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I'll hope there are some people here who are familiar with Cisco OER
    (Optimized Edge Routing)

    We are planning to implement it on the connections to our 2 ISP's.
    I have still some questions:

    - When using default routes to the ISP's. I do not understand how OER is
    load balancing between the two default routes? Or is this impossible? I have
    read that you don't need a full BGP route table exchange when using OER.
    - I have found that Cisco OER is supported in 12.3(8)T. Which feature set
    you need? Is it supported in the IP based feature set or do you need some
    advanced enterprise feature set?

    Diagram:

    FW--|
    |--Router1(OER Master)---ISP1
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |--Router2(OER)---ISP2
    FW--|

    ISP connections are 100 BaseTx (limitted to 20 Mbit/s)

    Regards,

    tom dot lauwereins add ardatis dot com

    news.scarlet.be, Mar 2, 2006

  2. news.scarlet.be

    Merv Guest

    OER has an external controller ( read LINUX host) that monitors the
    traffic flows using netflow and then injects routes as required to each
    OER router under its control to achieve the desired load balancing.

    OER only performs outbound load balancing as far as I know.

    The technology used is referred to as Router Controllers and there are
    a number of companies offering product in this arena.

    Merv, Mar 2, 2006