    disk)

    Thanks in advance.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Mar 28, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Glenn Guest

    In the context fo which you speak... OEM means that that disk is
    furnished with specific brand of computer and is licensed for that use
    of that manufactorer. Any in order to use it yoou would need the
    correct key.

    Glenn, Mar 28, 2007

  3. smackedass

    Anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:18:01 GMT
    "smackedass" <> wrote:

    > Brain fart: what does "OEM" mean in the context of copywrighted software?
    > I.e., if I have a Windows XP OEM disk, will I be able to fully install it,
    > providing I have the proper activation code? Or might I get shut out, if
    > the hard drive contains meta-information that will only allow the
    > installation to happen for an HP, or a Compaq, or a Dell, etc.?

    It does depend on the OEM: with Dell, for example, it will not install on
    hardware that is not from Dell, whatever key you use. Some other OEMs are more
    forgiving - of hardware changes for example. It is not about the hard-drive
    AFAIR, but the motherboard.
    Anonymous, Mar 28, 2007
  4. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Thank you all who have responded. I guess that what I need to have is a
    more "forgiving", non-OEM version to perform such re-installs (I used to
    have a copy, but have apparently misplaced it).

    An OEM copy can't always do what I may need it to, but a non-OEM copy is
    always installable, so long as I have a proper product key, am I correct?

    sa
    smackedass, Mar 28, 2007
  5. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    Everytime I called to activate, my phone call was routed to England. I
    usually act like I have no clue as to what I am doing and they don't
    even ask any questions, they just give me the activation number. The
    smarter you sound, the more they are suspicous.

    Mister, Mar 29, 2007
  6. "Mister" <not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I called to activate, my phone call was routed to England. I
    > usually act like I have no clue as to what I am doing and they don't
    > even ask any questions, they just give me the activation number. The
    > smarter you sound, the more they are suspicous.

    I wonder If thats what people do when they buy those used copies of XP on
    Ebay. I was thinking about getting one for my daughters computer, but I've
    been too suspicious that It's be unusable when I got It.

    Dusty Steenbock, Mar 29, 2007
  7. smackedass

    JohnO Guest

    > > Everytime I called to activate, my phone call was routed to England. I
    > > usually act like I have no clue as to what I am doing and they don't
    > > even ask any questions, they just give me the activation number. The
    > > smarter you sound, the more they are suspicous.

    > I wonder If thats what people do when they buy those used copies of XP on
    > Ebay. I was thinking about getting one for my daughters computer, but I've
    > been too suspicious that It's be unusable when I got It.

    I've read recently that the activation history of a particular product
    key at MS is flushed periodically. That is, if you try to install XP
    seven times this week, it won't work. But if you try to install a
    third copy nine months later, it works quite well. At least, that's
    what I read on ZDNet....

    -John O
    JohnO, Mar 29, 2007
  8. smackedass

    Adebisi Guest

    On Mar 29, 9:48 am, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    > > > Everytime I called to activate, my phone call was routed to England. I
    > > > usually act like I have no clue as to what I am doing and they don't
    > > > even ask any questions, they just give me the activation number. The
    > > > smarter you sound, the more they are suspicous.

    > > I wonder If thats what people do when they buy those used copies of XP on
    > > Ebay. I was thinking about getting one for my daughters computer, but I've
    > > been too suspicious that It's be unusable when I got It.

    > I've read recently that the activation history of a particular product
    > key at MS is flushed periodically. That is, if you try to install XP
    > seven times this week, it won't work. But if you try to install a
    > third copy nine months later, it works quite well. At least, that's
    > what I read on ZDNet....
    >
    > -John O

    Just thought I would mention I have moved my Dell furnished OEM
    version of XP to two other computers now that were not Dells. I am
    not sure where this "It will not install on a non-Dell" idea comes
    from but my experience has been the opposite. When I activate they
    ask why, I tell them honestly that I dismantled my old computer and am
    now using a new one, and they let me activate. They alwas asked if I
    removed Windows from the old computer first, I say yes, and they
    activate.

    I have not done this for 3 years now, however, as I am now running XP
    Pro under a valid and legit site license.

    If someone has a retail key, and lost their disc, AFAIK that key is
    not going to work with OEM version. And OEM keys will not work with
    the retail key. Likewise with Upgrade keys. And OEM keys will not
    work with bulk license versions of Win XP (site license versions) but
    bulk license keys seem to work with OEM versions of XP. So if you are
    truthful and just trying to help a legitmated owner who lost his disk,
    I hope this helps.
    Adebisi, Mar 29, 2007