OEM using GHOST to store back up of Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by j, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. j

    j Guest

    Hi.

    Apparently, some manufacturers are shipping computers with the back up copy
    of the OS on the hard drive in a GHOST sector. The recovery disk grabs the
    image from there when you have trouble booting up. (Needless to say I have
    issue because recovery disk can't find the ghost image. Either hard drive is
    hosed completely, or the ghost image is corrupt, or the recovery disk is
    hosed....)

    This does not seem to be fool-proof method as noted above.

    Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD? That does not make
    sense. What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS, but
    does provide the Product Code for the OS? This vendor is VISCOM, V2PREMIERE.
    From research, it sounds like the company is sending out lemons.

    Thanks.

    j, Jan 30, 2005

  2. j

    Stickems. Guest

    Not sending a CD containing the operating system is an initiative by
    Microsoft. They say it is a measure to prevent illegal use of their
    software. No doubt that will be the case but they also must be aware that
    all disks crash eventually, in which case the recovery disk is of no use.
    This will result in an increase in their sales. In other words, you will
    have purchased the operating system twice. Quite unethical wouldn't you say,
    but that's what a monopoly can do. Ask your supplier for an o/s CD free of
    charge, if they don't comply, sue them.

    Stickems., Jan 30, 2005

  3. j

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "j" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Apparently, some manufacturers are shipping computers with the back up

    copy
    > of the OS on the hard drive in a GHOST sector. The recovery disk grabs the
    > image from there when you have trouble booting up. (Needless to say I have
    > issue because recovery disk can't find the ghost image. Either hard drive

    is
    > hosed completely, or the ghost image is corrupt, or the recovery disk is
    > hosed....)
    >
    > This does not seem to be fool-proof method as noted above.
    >
    > Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD? That does not make
    > sense. What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS, but
    > does provide the Product Code for the OS? This vendor is VISCOM,

    V2PREMIERE.
    > From research, it sounds like the company is sending out lemons.
    >
    > Thanks.

    For what it's worth: I had (have) an old lap top with windows 95. The hdd
    had a program, or some kind of image, (this was a long time ago, and it's
    hard to remember) that allowed me to record win95 to floppys. After I made
    the floppy disk set I was able to reinstall the os. I still have that
    floppy set, about 15 disks.

    This is just a thought, but have you checked to see if there is a way to
    burn that image to a cd?

    Ish Taylor, Jan 30, 2005
  4. j

    j Guest

    Hi,

    I bet there is. I am new to the concept of ghost images, but if my friend
    had made a CD before the crash, this might have worked.

    This whole thing stinks and I frustrated even more with MicroSoft, if they
    are the ones pushing this idea. I thought the product key is enough to
    protect their s/w.

    Well, I have been given a rude awakening.

    Thanks for the heads up on this possible alternative, at least for the
    future.

    j, Jan 30, 2005
  5. j

    Plato Guest

    j wrote:

    > Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD?

    Yes.

    > What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS,

    To sell PCs to folks who buy by price only.

    Plato, Jan 30, 2005
  6. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >j wrote:
    >>
    >> Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS,

    > To sell PCs to folks who buy by price only.

    Well, to be fair, the large OEM's are actually prohibited by MS from
    providing a copy of the actual OS -- restore disks are OK -- on a separate
    CD. It's a condition of the favorable pricing that they get.

    Oxford Systems, Jan 31, 2005
  7. j

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Oxford Systems" <> wrote in message
    | "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | >j wrote:
    | >>
    | >> Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD?
    | >
    | > Yes.
    | >
    | >> What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS,
    | >
    | > To sell PCs to folks who buy by price only.
    |
    | Well, to be fair, the large OEM's are actually prohibited by MS from
    | providing a copy of the actual OS -- restore disks are OK -- on a separate
    | CD. It's a condition of the favorable pricing that they get.

    That doesn't apply to Dell, then, because they still ship a CD with their
    systems. BUT! That CD won't install on a non-Dell computer, so it does
    pretty much the same thing...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 31, 2005
  8. j

    Sunny Guest

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >>j wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS,

    >> To sell PCs to folks who buy by price only.

    > Well, to be fair, the large OEM's are actually prohibited by MS from
    > providing a copy of the actual OS -- restore disks are OK -- on a separate
    > CD. It's a condition of the favorable pricing that they get.

    How come that with IBM PCs you get :
    " An authentic, sealed, full version OEM Windows XP Home Ed CD
    Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity Label
    BTW FWIW
    A few years ago I complained to Microsoft OEM Division, about only receiving
    a "restore" CD and they sent me a gratis OEM Windows CD.
    Strange that even some of the "major" PC manufacturers, now have options to
    "Install Windows", included on their recovery CDs as an option (rather than
    being forced to install all the "enhancements" :)
    (If you complain loudly enough, about the "Restore" being on a hidden hard
    drive partition, you will get a separate CD)
    Handy, when the hard drive karks it.

    Sunny, Jan 31, 2005
  9. j

    Plato Guest

    Oxford Systems wrote:

    > >> Are the vendors saving money by not providing the CD?

    > > Yes.
    > >
    > >> What is motivation for a vendor to NOT provide the CD with OS,

    > > To sell PCs to folks who buy by price only.

    > Well, to be fair, the large OEM's are actually prohibited by MS from
    > providing a copy of the actual OS -- restore disks are OK -- on a separate
    > CD. It's a condition of the favorable pricing that they get.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Hmmm, to be fair, it is pricing then eh? :)

    Plato, Jan 31, 2005
  10. j

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > That doesn't apply to Dell, then, because they still ship a CD with their
    > systems. BUT! That CD won't install on a non-Dell computer, so it does
    > pretty much the same thing...

    A few year ago I was at a new college student's home helping to set up
    his new Dell he got via his school as part of the tuition, actually an
    option to buy a dell when he accepted that college. I was amazed how
    much software they piled up on him. Standard copies of XP, Full Office,
    Links, Flight Sim, Front Page, basically anything you see for sale made
    by MS in a retail store. I was suprised because the pc was priced way
    below the prices on the dell site.

    Plato, Jan 31, 2005
  11. j

    neophius Guest

    Well that's Incorect I had a XP Pro SP1 CD That installed on a Component
    System That CD Was from Dell

    neophius, Jan 31, 2005
  12. j

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >
    | > That doesn't apply to Dell, then, because they still ship a CD with
    their
    | > systems. BUT! That CD won't install on a non-Dell computer, so it does
    | > pretty much the same thing...
    |
    | A few year ago I was at a new college student's home helping to set up
    | his new Dell he got via his school as part of the tuition, actually an
    | option to buy a dell when he accepted that college. I was amazed how
    | much software they piled up on him. Standard copies of XP, Full Office,
    | Links, Flight Sim, Front Page, basically anything you see for sale made
    | by MS in a retail store. I was suprised because the pc was priced way
    | below the prices on the dell site.

    Cool! I bet it's Dell's method of getting the suckers hooked on the Dell
    brand name ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 1, 2005
  13. j

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Was it really a "Dell" branded CD, or was it a genuine MS CD? The Dell CD
    won't install on non-Dell computers. Dell 'tattooed' their CMOS and altered
    the setup files on their CDs. But if a MS CD got in their, that's a
    different story.

    When the office bought me a Dell in 2001 with W2K Pro on it, it came with an
    "upgrade" certificate that allowed me a free upgrade to XP Pro when it
    shipped. That CD was also genuine MS, since Dell had not yet had time to
    modify, press, and distribute their own CD. The system you received may have
    been a similar situation.

    "neophius" <> wrote in message
    | Well that's Incorect I had a XP Pro SP1 CD That installed on a Component
    | System That CD Was from Dell
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Oxford Systems" <> wrote in message
    | > | "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Feb 1, 2005
  14. j

    j Guest

    Hi,
    Here is what I found out today....
    1) Microsoft says I should not try to install my OEM XP HOME CD on a a
    foreign computer, even if I use the product key on the computer and not my
    product key.
    2) Microsoft is not pushing the concept. In fact they are frustrated with
    calls from people.
    3) Microsoft pointed out that the product key for HP won't play with CD from
    Dell , ... yada yada yada...

    Linux lookin good.

    It smells like a way for OEM folks to get more cash from folks for support.

    VISCOM appears to be a operation taking money from the children. Tried to
    call there, and can't even get sales. Need to leave a message.

    The v2premier computer.... sold on NBC...

    Cheers,

    j, Feb 1, 2005
  15. j

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > | A few year ago I was at a new college student's home helping to set up
    > | his new Dell he got via his school as part of the tuition, actually an
    > | option to buy a dell when he accepted that college. I was amazed how
    > | much software they piled up on him. Standard copies of XP, Full Office,
    > | Links, Flight Sim, Front Page, basically anything you see for sale made
    > | by MS in a retail store. I was suprised because the pc was priced way
    > | below the prices on the dell site.
    > |
    > Cool! I bet it's Dell's method of getting the suckers hooked on the Dell
    > brand name ;o)

    I actually think it's MS marketing plan to get you hooked on their
    stuff. When I saw what he paid for all the works MS couldnt' have made
    any real money. But guess what, they will make it later ie especially
    when the next ms os REQUIRES AN UPGRADE for the ms apps.

    Plato, Feb 1, 2005
  16. j

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> | A few year ago I was at a new college student's home helping to set up
    >> | his new Dell he got via his school as part of the tuition, actually an
    >> | option to buy a dell when he accepted that college. I was amazed how
    >> | much software they piled up on him. Standard copies of XP, Full Office,
    >> | Links, Flight Sim, Front Page, basically anything you see for sale made
    >> | by MS in a retail store. I was suprised because the pc was priced way
    >> | below the prices on the dell site.
    >> |
    >> Cool! I bet it's Dell's method of getting the suckers hooked on the Dell
    >> brand name ;o)

    > I actually think it's MS marketing plan to get you hooked on their
    > stuff. When I saw what he paid for all the works MS couldnt' have made
    > any real money. But guess what, they will make it later ie especially
    > when the next ms os REQUIRES AN UPGRADE for the ms apps.

    True! I get really ticked off when my old apps don't run under the new OS
    and usually look for replacements rather than upgrades.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 1, 2005
  17. On 31 Jan 2005 22:59:05 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> | A few year ago I was at a new college student's home helping to set up
    >> | his new Dell he got via his school as part of the tuition, actually an
    >> | option to buy a dell when he accepted that college. I was amazed how
    >> | much software they piled up on him. Standard copies of XP, Full Office,
    >> | Links, Flight Sim, Front Page, basically anything you see for sale made
    >> | by MS in a retail store. I was suprised because the pc was priced way
    >> | below the prices on the dell site.
    >> |
    >> Cool! I bet it's Dell's method of getting the suckers hooked on the Dell
    >> brand name ;o)

    >I actually think it's MS marketing plan to get you hooked on their
    >stuff. When I saw what he paid for all the works MS couldnt' have made
    >any real money. But guess what, they will make it later ie especially
    >when the next ms os REQUIRES AN UPGRADE for the ms apps.

    A cousin went to college a couple years ago. Her student discount
    allowed her to purchase a full copy of Office for $55 ($62 for Mac)
    which is why I have Office for Mac.

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org