    OEM and Retail chips

    Thanks

    Paul
    Not Known, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Not Known

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:01:08 +0100, Not Known wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Im looking at buying a new CPU and wondered what the difference was between
    >OEM and Retail chips

    Usually full instrictions and heatshink kit or not if OEM.

    Me
    why?, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Not Known

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Not Known" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking at buying a new CPU and wondered what the difference was

    between
    > OEM and Retail chips
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    Primary concern is warranty. OEM will likely have a 90 day way (or less).
    Secondary is heatsink/fan combo may need to be purchased seperately if
    buying an OEM cpu.
    ImhoTech, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Not Known

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Not Known" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking at buying a new CPU and wondered what the difference was

    between
    > OEM and Retail chips

    OEM is just the chip, no instructions, packaging, nothing - unless I'm
    getting a tray full (10), mine come wrapped in bubblewrap. OEM, on the other
    hand, come with a fan/heatsink, instructions, a sticker for your case,
    advice to get it fitted by a pro, and loads more guarantee.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Not Known wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking at buying a new CPU and wondered what the difference was between
    > OEM and Retail chips
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    I *never* buy OEM processors anymore, only retail. With retail you get
    the heatsink/fan that you know is the right combo for the chip and the
    warranty is actually worth something. I got burnt by one company on an
    OEM chip with a 15 day warranty. That doesn't sound too bad until you
    take into account they mean from the time they shipped it until you get
    your RMA and then get the chip back in their hands, a nearly impossible
    scenario.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 27, 2004