OEM 32-bit to 64-bit: Apology

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mark H, Jul 27, 2008.

  1. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    I know, it's a newsgroup and people write the darnedest things, but some
    calmly stick to their guns despite the turmoil and for that I believe they
    deserve respect. Those few seem to be granted MVP status of which Charlie
    Russel and Colin Barnhorst have the honor. Yes, they are human and can get
    upset, just like me, but they number hundreds of calm posts to my individual
    posts.

    So, I'm writing this outside the original post because I think I was wrong
    in my prior recommendations and owe Charlie and Colin an apology.
    Unfortunately, my recommendations are "out there", so consider this also a
    retraction. The title ties it to the most recent thread on the subject.

    I re-read the Vista EULA (end-user, not System Builder.)
    While I still believe that any product key is entitled to be used as 32-bit
    or 64-bit (IMO), I would have to state that the use of ABR may not be legal
    to migrate or re-install any version of Vista. As Charlie stated, it makes
    it "technically possible."

    While the use results in legally the same end product (without the
    bloatware), how ABR was written may have compromised the EULA in that
    reverse engineering would have been required to produce ABR. And, reverse
    engineering Vista is definitively illegal. I will no longer support that
    program by recommendation until the creators of ABR are willing to dictate
    the procedure's creation is legal. (No matter their intentions.)

    In the future, I would recommend to only use the product key you purchased
    found on the bottom of the machine if you want to change bitness of your OEM
    operating system. This also means that you either get a 64-bit OEM version
    from the vendor, or you already have a retail version. This method of
    migration is supported by MS activation and validation.

    Mark H, Jul 27, 2008

  2. I don't know if what I found is exactly correct, but the
    info claims there is essentially no distinct OEM or Retail
    version of the DVDs as there were with the Windows XP DCs.
    Perhaps the only significant difference is when companies
    such as Dell, HP, etc. add their specific drivers and bloat
    ware.

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...d-media-image-32-bit-and-64-bit-all-editions/

    All Windows Vista DVD media are almost the same or similar
    regardless of which version (upgrade, full or OEM) or
    edition (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or
    Ultimate) of Windows Vista your purchased, probably as part
    of Windows Anytime Upgrade program. The only thing that
    matters is Windows Vista product key which will determine
    which version and edition of Vista you can use, activate and
    validate with WGA. So you can use this Windows Vista
    Ultimate DVD ISO image to install any edition of Windows
    Vista edition you want.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 27, 2008

  3. Not a problem.

    --