OE6 runs at startup?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Les Stewart, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    Win98

    OE6 runs when the computer boots and also comes on at other random times.

    Have done the following:
    Spybot - updated and run - clean
    AVG - updated and run - clean
    Startup folder - empty
    Windows updates - all done
    Config.sys - all unchecked
    Autoexe.bat - all unchecked
    Scanreg /fix - done
    OE set to "not connect"

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX
    Les Stewart, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Les Stewart

    °Mike° Guest

    Do NOT rely on AVG. Use AT LEAST two of these:

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:07:26 -0500, in
    <>
    Les Stewart scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Les Stewart

    Les Stewart Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > Do NOT rely on AVG. Use AT LEAST two of these:

    <SNIPPED GOOD STUFF>

    Thanks Mike, for the good links. I have saved them.

    I finally stopped it by unchecking "MAIL". in the WIN.ini in msconfig. Not
    sure what that did but it seems to have stopped the problem. 3 reboots and
    no more OE.

    The customer did not use OE so I guess that is ok. She just wanted it to
    stop appearing.

    Thanks again!
    --
    Les Stewart
    Beaumont, TX
    Les Stewart, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Les Stewart

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:09:58 -0500, in
    <>
    Les Stewart scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Do NOT rely on AVG. Use AT LEAST two of these:
    >>

    ><SNIPPED GOOD STUFF>
    >
    >Thanks Mike, for the good links. I have saved them.
    >
    > I finally stopped it by unchecking "MAIL". in the WIN.ini in msconfig. Not
    >sure what that did but it seems to have stopped the problem. 3 reboots and
    >no more OE.
    >
    > The customer did not use OE so I guess that is ok. She just wanted it to
    >stop appearing.
    >
    >Thanks again!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Les Stewart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Les Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Do NOT rely on AVG. Use AT LEAST two of these:
    > > >

    > > <SNIPPED GOOD STUFF>
    > >
    > > Thanks Mike, for the good links. I have saved them.
    > >
    > > I finally stopped it by unchecking "MAIL". in the WIN.ini in
    > > msconfig. Not sure what that did but it seems to have stopped the
    > > problem. 3 reboots and no more OE.
    > >
    > > The customer did not use OE so I guess that is ok. She just wanted
    > > it to stop appearing.
    > >
    > > Thanks again!
    > > --
    > > Les Stewart
    > > Beaumont, TX

    Rather than relying on MSCONFIG to handle that chore for you (i.e., why load
    MSCONFIG everytime the computer starts?), why not edit the actual WIN.INI
    file and see if that fixes it?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 23, 2004