    then on.

    Putting aside the option to use a different e-mail software, what could be
    wrong with my OE6.0?
    Geoff Pearson, Jul 8, 2003

  2. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Perhaps your inbox is overflowing. Try creating new folders
    > and move stuff out of your inbox. Also, turn off 'Compact
    > in the background', in Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    >

    > On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:13:31 +0100, in
    > <bef1ka$4gges$>
    > Geoff Pearson scrawled:
    >
    > >When I log onto BTOpenworld ADSL (and I think before on dial-up) for the
    > >first time in a session, and open OE6.0 all my e-mails download, the new
    > >message icon appears in the tray and the machine locks up. I have to use
    > >ctrl-alt-del to close OE6.0 and when I reopen it everything is fine from
    > >then on.
    > >
    > >Putting aside the option to use a different e-mail software, what could

    be
    > >wrong with my OE6.0?
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    You might be right - I hadn't noticed that I had 1700 messages in my inbox
    which I have now moved elsewhere. My office machine runs Outlook and does
    daily archiving. Perhaps I should use Outlook at home too.
    Geoff Pearson, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Geoff Pearson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:46:44 +0100, in
    <bef733$4bv08$>
    Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps your inbox is overflowing. Try creating new folders
    >> and move stuff out of your inbox. Also, turn off 'Compact
    >> in the background', in Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    >>

    >> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:13:31 +0100, in
    >> <bef1ka$4gges$>
    >> Geoff Pearson scrawled:
    >>
    >> >When I log onto BTOpenworld ADSL (and I think before on dial-up) for the
    >> >first time in a session, and open OE6.0 all my e-mails download, the new
    >> >message icon appears in the tray and the machine locks up. I have to use
    >> >ctrl-alt-del to close OE6.0 and when I reopen it everything is fine from
    >> >then on.
    >> >
    >> >Putting aside the option to use a different e-mail software, what could

    >be
    >> >wrong with my OE6.0?
    >> >

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    >You might be right - I hadn't noticed that I had 1700 messages
    >in my inbox which I have now moved elsewhere. My office machine
    >runs Outlook and does daily archiving. Perhaps I should use
    >Outlook at home too.

    If you do stay with O.E., be sure to turn off compacting in
    the background -- it can cause corrupt .dbx files.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2003
  4. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 20:46:44 +0100, in
    > <bef733$4bv08$>
    > Geoff Pearson scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Perhaps your inbox is overflowing. Try creating new folders
    > >> and move stuff out of your inbox. Also, turn off 'Compact
    > >> in the background', in Tools / Options / Maintenance.
    > >>

    > >> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:13:31 +0100, in
    > >> <bef1ka$4gges$>
    > >> Geoff Pearson scrawled:

    the

    new

    use

    from

    could
    > >be
    > >> >

    > >> --
    > >> Basic computer maintenance

    > >You might be right - I hadn't noticed that I had 1700 messages
    > >in my inbox which I have now moved elsewhere. My office machine
    > >runs Outlook and does daily archiving. Perhaps I should use
    > >Outlook at home too.

    > If you do stay with O.E., be sure to turn off compacting in
    > the background -- it can cause corrupt .dbx files.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks - done
    Geoff Pearson, Jul 8, 2003