    Incidentally, the deleted files folder is very large. Any suggestions? I do
    have enough HD space.

    Mel

    Sam, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I'm having problems with the OE6.0 compacting function. Every so often
    > it wants to compact my folders.

    You should configure to be in control of your own compacting/maintenance
    instead of allowing OE to do it - compacting is both very important and
    potentially 'dangerous' to OE's stores. By both controlling it yourself
    and doing it 'properly' and regularly, you gain the advantages of
    compacting and reduce its dangers.

    > But lately, it hangs up on my deleted
    > files folder. It takes 10 minutes and then says it is in use by OE or
    > another application. I then click OK and it compacts the other folders.
    > Incidentally, the deleted files folder is very large. Any suggestions?

    Your deleted files folder is/ must be/ being improperly managed - or else
    it has become corrupted and needs to be deleted, after which OE will
    provide you with a brand new one.

    I recommend that you configure to 'Empty deleted items folder on exit' in
    the Maintenance tab.

    Retaining messages in the deleted folder beyond closing OE is senseless to
    me.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Sam wrote:

    > Incidentally, the deleted files folder is very large.

    Why is there a large amount in the deleted folder? After all, that is
    stuff that you wanted to delete, not store.

    Oh, and OE is known to stuff itself up if you allow folders to get
    large. I don't remember the threshold number of megabytes. Get a better
    email program.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Sam

    PeeCee Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message news:gqpf9s$a70$...
    > I'm having problems with the OE6.0 compacting function. Every so often it
    > wants to compact my folders. But lately, it hangs up on my deleted files
    > folder. It takes 10 minutes and then says it is in use by OE or another
    > application. I then click OK and it compacts the other folders.
    > Incidentally, the deleted files folder is very large. Any suggestions? I
    > do have enough HD space.
    >

    > Mel

    Mel

    Your Deleted Items .dbx file is corrupt.

    In OE go:
    Tools
    Maintenance
    Click the Store Folder button.
    Note the path to your OE Store Folder.
    Close OE

    Using Windows Explorer go to the Store Folder location and delete
    "deleteditems.dbx" and ok/close you way back out.
    OE will create a new deleted items.dbx file the next time it starts.

    Note drag any emails you want to keep out of the deleted items folder
    'before' you delete the .dbx file.

    PeeCee, Mar 30, 2009
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    i NEED some more advice.
    I copied the deleted files folder to a different folder and changed it to
    deleted.bak.
    That file is HUGE (over 1 million kb -- that's over 1 gig, right?).

    I have all emails since about Jan, '05 in there.

    Would deleting emails from say 1/1/08 and earlier do the trick (would I be
    able to compact the file)?

    I guess I can just try it.

    But, if the file is corrupt I can just delete it. I would still have the
    ..BAK file in a pinch. Right?

    Also, can I delete the file by right clicking DELETED ITEMS and deleting it
    that way -- or will that not really do the job?

    Mel

    Sam, Mar 30, 2009
  6. Sam

    Andy Guest

    Sam wrote:

    > i NEED some more advice.
    > I copied the deleted files folder to a different folder and changed it to
    > deleted.bak.
    > That file is HUGE (over 1 million kb -- that's over 1 gig, right?).
    >
    > I have all emails since about Jan, '05 in there.
    >
    > Would deleting emails from say 1/1/08 and earlier do the trick (would I be
    > able to compact the file)?
    >
    > I guess I can just try it.
    >
    > But, if the file is corrupt I can just delete it. I would still have the
    > .BAK file in a pinch. Right?
    >
    > Also, can I delete the file by right clicking DELETED ITEMS and deleting it
    > that way -- or will that not really do the job?
    >
    > Mel

    Why are you *storing* things in the Deleted Items folder?

    A.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Andy, Mar 30, 2009
  7. Sam

    MZB Guest

    I just leave it there. Every so often, I might need to search for a deleted
    email (maybe 3-6 times a year), and it's easy to search there.

    Anyway, here's what I ended up doing.

    I copied the deleted.dbx folder elsewhere on my hard drive (I may just
    archive it to an external HD).

    I then deleted it.

    It did get recreated (it now contains one deleted email) and the compacting
    went smoothly and quickly.

    Mel

    MZB, Mar 30, 2009
  8. Sam

    thanatoid Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in

    > i NEED some more advice.
    > I copied the deleted files folder to a different folder and
    > changed it to deleted.bak.
    > That file is HUGE (over 1 million kb -- that's over 1 gig,
    > right?).
    >
    > I have all emails since about Jan, '05 in there.

    Every once in a while (actually, every 2 months) I zip my INBOX
    (I use a different email program, as you should, but I'll leave
    it at that) and so I have 6 zips of 2 months each per year which
    I store in another directory on another partition, and evn /back
    up/ once in a while!

    Since I use a real file manager, which can search inside
    archives, I can find anything I want and the entire directory of
    my email program is under 2MB including everything.

    Hey, but that's just me.

    thanatoid, Mar 30, 2009
  9. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > i NEED some more advice.

    I'll recommend how I do it. Where I say, 'do this, do that, imagine it to
    be IMO inmyopinion I would...'

    > I copied the deleted files folder to a different folder and changed it
    > to deleted.bak.

    You need to change how you are storing things. Your deleted folder has a
    function for deleting things. You need other folders for saving things.

    > That file is HUGE (over 1 million kb -- that's over 1 gig, right?).

    Yep.

    > I have all emails since about Jan, '05 in there.

    I like to save my mail too. I save sent mail and I save received mail and
    I have many different folders for each. If you save all kinds of saved
    mail in one folder it becomes too bulky and will get corrupted and gag OE.

    > Would deleting emails from say 1/1/08 and earlier do the trick (would I
    > be able to compact the file)?

    Some examples; unless you are a student of spam, you should delete your
    spam. There is probably some other mail which should be deleted;
    otherwise, if you like you can save it all. You just can't save it all in
    one folder; it needs to be organized so as to break up its volume. OE's
    files should not contain an excessive number of messages and/or they
    should not contain an excessive /volume/ of messages - if the mail
    contains very large attachments, say megs, then the folder with that mail
    can't contain nearly as many messages as a folder of ordinary sized mail.

    > I guess I can just try it.
    >
    > But, if the file is corrupt I can just delete it. I would still have the
    > .BAK file in a pinch. Right?
    >
    > Also, can I delete the file by right clicking DELETED ITEMS and
    > deleting it that way -- or will that not really do the job?

    This is the reason that you need a deleted folder for deleting. This is
    the reason you can't use your deleted folder for storing.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2009