    Bear with me if this has been discussed here before, I just tuned in a week
    ago. What gives with the dual setup? Is the x64 version just to accomodate
    the 64-bit version of IE6?
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005

  2. I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook Express,
    thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
    There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that thread
    has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit. 5/29/2005
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 10, 2005

  3. What confuses me is that there are two IE6 icons but only one OE. Is that
    what got you too?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  4. I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when I
    check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit dll's
    (or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  5. Colin Barnhorst

    James Park Guest

    x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit Program
    Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the windows\system32
    directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64 are 32-bit.

    James Park, Jul 10, 2005
  6. There is only a 64-bit OE. The 32-bit one just acts as a loader for the
    64-bit one. And yes, it's been discussed, mostly because this all means that
    the spell checker doesn't work with it, since the spell checker is 32-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Thanks. The naming scheme will sink in some day.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  8. Thanks, Charlie.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 10, 2005
  9. Yes, somewhat counter intuitive. I'm sure there were good reasons. I'm just
    not sure I'll ever understand them. ;)

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Hello Colin,
    Virutally all entry points for Outlook Express should be pointing to 64-bit
    Outlook Express. This was a late change and it could be possible that
    there would be some dependancy issue with applicaitions on the 32-bit files
    being present. Removing all the 32-bit files could cause some 32-bit
    applications to have failures when trying to call Outlook Express. 32-bit
    Applications cannot call 64-bit dlls directly.
    Msimn.exe under the program files (x86)\Outllok Express folder is a 32-bit
    program, but all it does is call the 64-bit version of Msimn.exe, then
    shutdown.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <>
    <Subject: Re: OE
    <Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:25:43 -0600
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Thanks. The naming scheme will sink in some day.
    <
    <"James Park" <> wrote in message
    <> x64 only has 64-bit OE. If you try to open the one in the 32-bit Program
    <> Files directory, it simply opens the 64-bit OE. Dlls in the
    <> windows\system32 directory are 64-bit; the ones in windows\syswow64 are
    <> 32-bit.
    <>
    <> "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    <> news:%...
    <>>I don't think the info in that thread jibes with what I see because when
    <>>check About Ms OE I see the list of files in use and they are 32-bit
    dll's
    <>>(or I am reading them wrong). Hmmm.....
    <>>
    <>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    <>> news:...
    <>>>I am confused about it too, but there is a native 64-bit Outlook
    Express,
    <>>>thats why the spell checker does not work I think.
    <>>> There is a post made by Dave P titled "Outlook Express crashes" that
    <>>> thread has some good info about Outlook Express 32 bit and 64 bit.
    <>>> 5/29/2005
    <>>> --
    <>>> Andre
    <>>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <>>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <>>>
    <>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    <>>> news:...
    <>>>>I see OE folders under both the x86 and (x64) Program Files folders
    and
    <>>>>it appears there is a 64-bit version installed. However the info
    under
    <>>>>Help>About Microsoft Outlook Express lists 32-bit dll's, so I am not
    <>>>>using the 64-bit version. What is the status of OE64?
    <>>>>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  11. Thanks, Darrell. I'm getting this from several sources now. Sorry to make
    you repeat this oft sung song.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 11, 2005