OE not responding

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rick, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    For the last few days, whenever I try to start Outlook Express, I get
    the first OE screen, but then OE stops responding. Other programs
    continue running. Closing and re-starting OE still results in 'not
    responding". Rebooting doesn't help. Once in a whlie, maybe 1 of 10
    trys, OE DOES run correctly, but I haven't seen a pattern as to why yet.

    I know OE is part of Internet Explorer, so I went to the Microsoft
    website and tried to download the latest version of IE. When I do this,
    I get a message that "a later version of IE has been detected already
    installed on this computer" and the download halts.

    I'm using an HP laptop, P4, Windows XP Home, and the version of IE is
    6.0.2800.1106 The OE version is 6.00.2800.1123. I enabled "automatic
    updates" yesterday to start receiving SP2, but the problem with OE
    predates that by several days.

    I've read of a registry entry that can become corrupt, could this be a
    problem? How can I reinstall IE/OE if the versions conflict?

    Thanks.
    Rick, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Rick

    Nottoman Guest

    I'd first start with Add/Remove programs and select Windows components, then
    uncheck OE and see what that does. Then do the same with IE. There used to
    be a Repair setting when you tried to uninstall IE, but don't know if that
    still is an option. I'd search for REPAIR OE on microsoft.com.
    Just my two cents

    Nottoman, Sep 15, 2004