    Strangely I cant seem to set up this option ?

    Any thouights appreciated

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Homeworker grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi
    > Using outlook express is there a way to tell it
    > ONLY to let certain email addreses into the inbox
    > send EVERYTHING else to bin
    >
    > Strangely I cant seem to set up this option ?
    >
    > Any thouights appreciated
    >

    > PAUL

    Tools>Message Rules

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Homeworker

    Mike Easter Guest

    Homeworker wrote:

    > Using outlook express is there a way to tell it
    > ONLY to let certain email addreses into the inbox
    > send EVERYTHING else to bin

    bin is wrong for some value/s of bin, such as 'delete'.

    Message rules should put the unwanted into a folder such as Junk so that
    the folder's contents can be periodically inspected to finetune the
    rules. If you never see (bin) the messages ruled against, you don't
    know what you should adjust or tune the filter to include.

    You are asking for a pure whitelisteds only rule, which has some flaws
    for some people, but can be quite useful for others.

    > Strangely I cant seem to set up this option ?

    OE/ Tools/ Message rules/ Mail/ Mail tab/ New button/ 1. Conditions:
    where the From line contains people^1 - 2. Select the actions for your
    rule - Move it to the specified folder^2 - 3. Rule description - Click
    on an underlined value^3 to edit it -- where the values are 'people' and
    'folder' - 4. Name of the rule - you could name the rule 'Whitelist'

    ^1 The people value can best be edited with the Addressbook function
    because all of the wanted mail should be contacts in your address book,
    and you can select all of your contacts at one time with dragging, shift
    select, or control select, so that 'at first' it looks like you are
    going to be sending your friends' mail to Junk. If you are going to be
    typing a wanted address anywhere, you should be typing it into your
    addressbook if it isn't there already.

    ^2 The folder value can be something like Junk which is going to contain
    the unwanted mail, such as spam.

    ^3 As soon as one or more addresses have been entered into the people
    value, the Options button becomes activated, which is essential to our
    operation.

    ^3 Clicking Options shows a function to select: Apply rule if - Message
    contains the people below -vs- Message does _not_ contain the people
    below and you should select does *not*

    The result of this rule will be that all of the Froms which you have not
    put into your contacts whitelist will be going to Junk.

    You need to monitor the Junk folder for nonwhitelisted wanted mail;
    that's why you don't 'bin' it, but instead you move it into its own Junk
    folder which is not your Inbox.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    > Tools>Message Rules

    Thnaks for taking time to reply but I am aware of the tools/message rules
    its just I cant seem to set a rule that will ONLY let CERTAIN email
    addresses
    into the INBOX ONLY , and send the rest away to bin

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Oct 8, 2006
  5. Homeworker grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> Tools>Message Rules

    > Thnaks for taking time to reply but I am aware of the tools/message rules
    > its just I cant seem to set a rule that will ONLY let CERTAIN email
    > addresses
    > into the INBOX ONLY , and send the rest away to bin

    snip>>>

    >> Tools>Message Rules

    When you go into message rules, check "where the from line contains people",
    the pick what you want ot happen to the messages you don't want (sounds
    strange, but we'll get to that). In the third box, Rule description, click
    on the blue "contains people". This will bring up a dialog box to add the
    addresses you want. Add them, then click "Options". Then select "message does
    not contain the people..." and "Message matches ANY of the people". You'll
    see in box 3, what your rule will do. OK out, and your rule will be in effect
    to only allow those addresses you've specified to get to your inbox. Keep in
    mind that if someone changes their email addres and uses their new address to
    tell you of it, you won't see it.

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest