OE/Hotmail problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Lee, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi fellow techs,
    I've tried the MS support newsgroups on this one and no one can offer
    a solution. Maybe you can.

    1. User has a Hotmail account he has always retrieved mail from using
    OE6. On 9/16 it suddenly stopped sending or picking up Hotmail,
    though several other accounts in OE (various Pop and Yahoo) continued
    working fine.

    2. User switched to Oulook2002 thinking that might solve it. Set up
    Hotmail new there rather than importing settings. OL2002 won't pick up
    Hotmail either!

    3. User tried emptying out his Hotmail account online and also
    emptying the OE folders. No go. Thinking it might be a problem on the
    Hotmail side, I had him create a whole new account and set that up in
    OE, too. No go.

    4. I have reviewed the settings in OE and they are correct. However,
    when he hits the Send/Rec button, nothing happens... there is little
    or nothing that is sent or received at all. Appears to be no response
    from the Hotmail server.

    5. Client has Zone Alarm 4.0 and NAV2003, both current, and uses a
    satellite connection up and down. I reviewed ZA and found no blocks,
    but removed it anyway. I checked NAV and found no hinderances, but
    shut it down anyway. Still, there was NO response from Hotmail.
    Thinking it might be the satellite connection, I switched over to
    his back-up dial-up service. OE would retrieve all other accounts, but
    not Hotmail.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on solving this problem?

    Thanks,

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy

    Lee, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Lee

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Lee,

    I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but msn did some major
    revamping to their services around that time. The main one, they made their
    chats be a 'pay to use' service, while disconnecting people from around the
    world... I used their chats for about 4 years previous to this, and for
    some reason, when the chats would go 'goofy', the hotmail services would
    also.

    I'm guessing that msn may have altered some of the settings to hotmail
    (passport) and may not allow that type of entry to hotmail. It's worth
    checking out, but I don't check my hotmail via OE...

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 5, 2003