OE emails vanished

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by S.E,, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. S.E,

    S.E, Guest

    WindowsXPPro
    OE 6.0

    I downloaded the recent Windows updates which included an OE security patch.
    After restarting, I discovered every "read" email in my Inbox that I had not
    deleted, along with all dropdown folders under "Inbox" had vanished. The
    Inbox 'folder' is just empty, but all the folders that were connected under
    'Inbox' are completely gone. The Delete/Sent/Drafts folders and their
    subsequent dropdown folders and their contents are still intact. System
    restore does not work on my particular WinXPpro OS, no matter what I try,
    nor do I know if that would help with anything lost in OE.

    Is there any possible way of retrieving these "missing" emails and folders
    back to it's original state? (no, they're not set to be saved in Bellsouth's
    (ISP) webmail site) I know, doing a backup is a "given", which I had done,
    but this has never happened, nor have I ever heard of it happening, before.

    Anyone got a clue? Seems everytime there are Windows updates, various things
    go wrong. So, is it absolutely necessary that one does these updates? I'm
    thinking from now on, what ain't broke, don't "fix it". Thanks in advance!
    S.E,, Jun 4, 2004

  2. S.E,

    doS Guest

    Did you go to view, layout?

    doS, Jun 4, 2004

  3. S.E,

    S.E. Guest

    Hello doS, and thanks! :)
    It shows all settings as it should be. I even reset it and still find
    nothing showing up but an Inbox with only the recent emails that have come
    in since the "disappearance". Other folders are still gone. Just wish I knew
    how to find out what caused this so I can prevent it from happening, again,
    in the future. Take care....S.

    S.E., Jun 5, 2004
  4. S.E,

    trout Guest

    S.E, wrote:

    > WindowsXPPro
    > OE 6.0
    >
    > I downloaded the recent Windows updates which included an OE security
    > patch. After restarting, I discovered every "read" email in my Inbox
    > that I had not deleted, along with all dropdown folders under "Inbox"
    > had vanished. The Inbox 'folder' is just empty, but all the folders
    > that were connected under 'Inbox' are completely gone. The
    > Delete/Sent/Drafts folders and their subsequent dropdown folders and
    > their contents are still intact. System restore does not work on my
    > particular WinXPpro OS, no matter what I try, nor do I know if that
    > would help with anything lost in OE.
    >
    > Is there any possible way of retrieving these "missing" emails and
    > folders back to it's original state? (no, they're not set to be saved
    > in Bellsouth's (ISP) webmail site) I know, doing a backup is a
    > "given", which I had done, but this has never happened, nor have I
    > ever heard of it happening, before.
    >
    > Anyone got a clue? Seems everytime there are Windows updates, various
    > things go wrong. So, is it absolutely necessary that one does these
    > updates? I'm thinking from now on, what ain't broke, don't "fix it".
    > Thanks in advance!

    First, use Explorer to go to where your .dbx files are stored, to
    see if there is an older version of your Inbox, intact. If you're not
    sure where this is; click on Tools; Options; Maintenance tab, and click
    the "Store Folder" button. There may be one labeled 'Inbox(1)', for
    example.
    I don't think you can *restore* your OE to it's previous state; but
    you should be able to recover the missing emails with DBXtract
    (freeware):
    http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
    Finally; I'd suggest that (aside from making back-ups), you keep
    your Inbox lean by moving old messages to other folders *outside* the
    Inbox (created as needed). Don't nest folders inside of it.
    And on that Maintenance tab, again, I'd uncheck the option of doing
    automatic maintenance, and do it all manually; as this is a known
    potential corrupter of files.
    --
    "A slim Inbox will probably also allow OE to open faster."
    trout, Jun 5, 2004
  5. It's caused by the update creating a new profile for outlook and locking
    down any messages that haven't been through the new security update.

    If you create another outlook profile then import address's and emails,
    you shuld be able to recover your lost emails.

    There is a program that I use on my system that backs up my outlook
    emails everytime I close it. I'll see if I can find the installation
    files for it and post the location to download it from my website.

    It may take a couple of days to find, since I archive all utility
    installs to CD, directly after installing them.

    Peter Van Dijk, Jun 6, 2004
  6. S.E,

    S.E. Guest

    Thanks, trout....
    I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to "restore" Outlook.
    I'll keep this info and link, I didn't know it existed!
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer!
    S.E.

    S.E., Jun 6, 2004
  7. S.E,

    S.E. Guest

    Well, that makes sense!
    I'll give the new profile a go and see what happens.
    I hope you find the program you mentioned, I'm definitely interested.
    Thanks, Peter...I appreciate your time!
    S.E.

    S.E., Jun 6, 2004