OE and "missing posts": Microsoft responds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Are you using Outlook Express and noticing that newsgroup posts are
    often missing?

    See below and send a note to to let them know
    you're having this problem.

    There's nothing they can currently do as "support" for OE users, but
    unless they hear about the problem long and loud, they almost
    certainly won't try to fix it. The statement, "they may still release a fix
    for it especially if there are several complaints about this issue" couldn't
    possibly make this fact clearer.

    Please help to make sure this problem gets fixed before Microsoft's
    "product life cycle" for OE comes to an end and leaves the Windows
    world with a broken newsreader.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Michael

    paul s Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Are you using Outlook Express and noticing that newsgroup posts are
    > often missing?
    >
    > See below and send a note to to let them know
    > you're having this problem.
    >
    > There's nothing they can currently do as "support" for OE users, but
    > unless they hear about the problem long and loud, they almost
    > certainly won't try to fix it. The statement, "they may still release a
    > fix for it especially if there are several complaints about this issue"
    > couldn't possibly make this fact clearer.
    >
    > Please help to make sure this problem gets fixed before Microsoft's
    > "product life cycle" for OE comes to an end and leaves the Windows
    > world with a broken newsreader.

    Sounds about right for Micro$oft. They've also known about the 'begin ' bug
    for two years and what have they done about it? **** all. Oh yeh and the
    'broken quoting' bug.

    There are plenty of other decent Windows newsreader/email apps out there.

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 13, 2003
  4. paul s wrote:

    > Sounds about right for Micro$oft. They've also known about the 'begin ' bug
    > for two years and what have they done about it? **** all. Oh yeh and the
    > 'broken quoting' bug.

    And how long to address the broken sig delimiters?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/boulder

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Michael wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> paul s wrote:

    >>> Sounds about right for Micro$oft. They've also known about the
    >>> 'begin ' bug for two years and what have they done about it? ****
    >>> all. Oh yeh and the 'broken quoting' bug.

    >> And how long to address the broken sig delimiters?

    > Hey... that one they actually fixed, though. All it takes is enough people
    > smacking them in the face about it.

    That's why I was careful to ask "how long" (the answer is "years"),
    and not "when will they". :)

    > There's always hope.

    For OE? Nah. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:54:01 -0700, in
    <>
    Michael scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Simply remedied:
    >>
    >> http://www.forteinc.com/
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    >> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

    >Agreed.
    >
    >I still insist that Microsoft support and fix their own product.
    >
    >After all, millions of people actually pay them to do that.

    Or so the theory goes... <g>

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Michael

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Michael
    <> wrote:

    > There's nothing they can currently do as "support" for OE users,

    Why the hell not? Every other software company can manage support for
    current products, older products, sometimes even related products from
    other companies!

    > but unless they hear about the problem long and loud, they almost
    > certainly won't try to fix it. The statement, "they may still release a fix
    > for it especially if there are several complaints about this issue" couldn't
    > possibly make this fact clearer.

    Huh? There have been DOZENS of major events, news stories, virus
    problems, update and repair problems, and complaints about how the
    program sets up and how it behaves. This has been common knowledge for
    more than four years, and the only significant change seems to be
    disabling attachments!

    > Please help to make sure this problem gets fixed before Microsoft's
    > "product life cycle" for OE comes to an end and leaves the Windows
    > world with a broken newsreader.

    How do you figure? The Windows world must have OE or it can't use
    newsgroups? What about all the good newsreaders out there?
    This stuff wasn't invented just because Microsoft came up with OE -- it
    existed before Microsoft did!

    Mitch, Jul 14, 2003
  8. Michael

    trout Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Are you using Outlook Express and noticing that newsgroup posts are
    > often missing?
    >
    > See below and send a note to to let them know
    > you're having this problem.

    <snip>

    Well; you've had a lot of responses from people that don't like
    Microsoft in general, and OE in particular. Hard to see *that* one
    coming.
    But I seriously doubt if there's really going to be any concerted
    effort to fix a 'problem' that doesn't seem to have any particularly
    uniform symptoms.
    I still have a feeling that your server is more to blame than anyone
    for posts that don't show up. They all have their quirks. But in
    general, whenever I check a thread in GoogleGroups, I don't see any
    messages I've missed (with obvious exceptions like no-archive requests,
    and blank message bodies).
    In fact, the only quirk I've personally observed is the occasional
    tendancy to not be able to see my *own* posts, which seems to happen
    when refreshing the headers too quickly after posting. When this
    happens, they remain hidden until I reset the group (although it's
    seldom worth the effort).
    The only *other* common reason I've consistently seen people have
    with finding posts, is because they've been threaded under similar, or
    identical subject lines. I doubt if that's a problem they'd be much
    interested in fixing, and let's face it: there are just a lot of
    inexperienced people using OE that are going to blame it for an
    inproperly used, un-patched, or corrupted program.
    --
    "Too many things easily-explained by 'pilot error'."

    trout, Jul 14, 2003
  9. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:57:11
    +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:54:01 -0700, in
    > <>
    > Michael scrawled:
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> Simply remedied:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.forteinc.com/
    >>> http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    >>> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    >>> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

    >>Agreed.
    >>
    >>I still insist that Microsoft support and fix their own product.
    >>
    >>After all, millions of people actually pay them to do that.

    >Or so the theory goes... <g>

    I find it frightening that people think M$ support & fix their products, as soon
    as they discover something's wrong. In some cases they don't, they won't
    acknowledge any flaws & try to hide them. Other times, it's taken *months* for
    them to do anything. Most other software companies like Mozilla, Opera, Agent
    seem to respond *much* faster to any flaws etc, in their software.

    William Poaster, Jul 14, 2003
  10. Michael

    rifleman Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:57:11
    > +0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    > >On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:54:01 -0700, in
    > > <>
    > > Michael scrawled:

    > >>Agreed.
    > >>
    > >>I still insist that Microsoft support and fix their own product.
    > >>
    > >>After all, millions of people actually pay them to do that.

    > >Or so the theory goes... <g>

    > I find it frightening that people think M$ support & fix their products, as soon
    > as they discover something's wrong. In some cases they don't, they won't
    > acknowledge any flaws & try to hide them. Other times, it's taken *months* for
    > them to do anything. Most other software companies like Mozilla, Opera, Agent
    > seem to respond *much* faster to any flaws etc, in their software.

    That's the advantage of near-monopoly!
    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend

    rifleman, Jul 14, 2003
  11. Michael

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:50:30 -0700, "Michael" <>
    scribbled:

    >The solution?

    The solution, get a real news client.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Jul 14, 2003
  12. Michael

    Michael Guest

    -= Hawk =- wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:50:30 -0700, "Michael" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> The solution?

    > The solution, get a real news client.

    I have one (FreeAgent) and I hate it. That's purely an aesthetic
    preference... it does work better than OE does.

    The problem is that OE *should* work properly, and no excuse is good enough
    to justify it not doing so.

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 14, 2003
  13. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:22:03 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:57:11
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:54:01 -0700, in
    >> <>
    >> Michael scrawled:

    >>>Agreed.
    >>>
    >>>I still insist that Microsoft support and fix their own product.
    >>>
    >>>After all, millions of people actually pay them to do that.

    >>Or so the theory goes... <g>

    >I find it frightening that people think M$ support & fix their
    >products, as soon as they discover something's wrong. In some
    >cases they don't, they won't acknowledge any flaws & try to
    >hide them. Other times, it's taken *months* for them to do
    >anything. Most other software companies like Mozilla, Opera,
    >Agent seem to respond *much* faster to any flaws etc, in their
    >software.

    I find everything about Microsoft frightening.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 14, 2003
  14. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:53:51 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:28:42
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:22:03 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> William Poaster scrawled:
    >>
    >>>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:57:11
    >>>+0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >>>I find it frightening that people think M$ support & fix their
    >>>products, as soon as they discover something's wrong. In some
    >>>cases they don't, they won't acknowledge any flaws & try to
    >>>hide them. Other times, it's taken *months* for them to do
    >>>anything. Most other software companies like Mozilla, Opera,
    >>>Agent seem to respond *much* faster to any flaws etc, in their
    >>>software.

    >>I find everything about Microsoft frightening.

    >Especially if you read their EULA thoroughly!
    ><shudder>

    Yeah, the EULA is like signing your soul (if you believe in that
    sort of thing) away.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 14, 2003
  15. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:58:27 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:37:58
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:53:51 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> William Poaster scrawled:
    >>
    >>>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:28:42
    >>>+0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >>>Especially if you read their EULA thoroughly!
    >>><shudder>

    >>Yeah, the EULA is like signing your soul (if you believe in that
    >>sort of thing) away.

    >Kind of like this?
    >"One OS to rule them all,
    >One OS to find them,