OE 6.0 SPELL CHECK

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Ringoes XIII, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. I can't get Spell Checker to work on my x64 XP 2003 sp2 with office 2003

    OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
    Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name FAMILY
    System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
    System Model R690A-M2T
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2993 Mhz
    Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2993 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 12/13/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959
    (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"
    User Name FAMILY\Administrator
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 3,966.20 MB
    Available Physical Memory 3.20 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 5.62 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.24 GB
    Page File Space 2.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    blah, blah, blah...

    What I have learned is that there are two sets of OE software; one in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express
    and one in
    C:\Program Files\Outlook Express

    And they don't match.
    csapi3t1.dll 1.0.0.2415 March 29, 2006, 7:00:00 AM in the x86 directory
    and
    CSAPI3T1.DLL 1.0.0.2415 Tuesday, December 15, 1998, 2:33:46 PM
    in the
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF directory

    (clearly Microsoft hasn't mastered version control yet)

    All my efforts to synchronize these three locations have failed.
    First I simply coppied the latest to the x86 directory; only to have it
    mysterioulsy revert to the old; then I deleted all the OE code in the x86;
    and again it all came back mysteriously. Then I deleted all the OE code in
    both directorys; again it mysteriously cameback -- unsynchronized as before.

    So I watched task manager in fast refresh mode and I think culprit is
    winlogon.exe; which makes no sense.

    Any novel ideas?

    old frustrated semi-retired mainframer from princeton
    John Ringoes XIII, Feb 8, 2008

  2. John Ringoes XIII

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    Basically OE in Windows XP x64 is a 64-bit program and it can't
    can't access spell check from Word because it's a 32-bit program. OE doesn't
    have a built-in spell check, it relies on spell check from another program
    like Word. As a work around in XP x64 I would cut and paste the reply from
    OE to a blank Word document run spell check then cut and paste it back to
    OE. With Vista OE is replaced with Windows Mail which has a built-in spell
    check. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64