oddball unexpected "you have mail" message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
    WTF? You have mail at {domain].
    Huh?
    To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
    knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
    nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
    What made it even more odd was the mail was from
    "".
    Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
    Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
    What the hell is this?
    More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
    apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.

    Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
    triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
    program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
    deal on that.

    From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed it.

    Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
    and pop.

    Are mac's on sale?
    richard, Dec 9, 2008

  2. richard <> wrote:
    > Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
    > WTF? You have mail at {domain].
    > Huh?
    > To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
    > knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
    > nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
    > What made it even more odd was the mail was from
    > "".
    > Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
    > Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
    > What the hell is this?
    > More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
    > apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.
    >
    > Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
    > triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
    > program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
    > deal on that.
    >
    > From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed it.
    >
    > Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
    > and pop.

    Let's see if I can dissect your stupidity steeped in ineptitude and
    paranoia - You assess (note, I haven't assumed you think, because you
    evidently can't) that by removing 'something' from your system in the way
    you describe your machine is somehow going to go tits up, is that right?

    > Am I really an arsehole?

    The whole of Usenet knows you are - you seem to be the only one who doesn't
    smell it.

    *PLANK*

    Fit some lino today, it'll do you good - I know because I'm an expert.
    Expert lino fitter, Dec 9, 2008

  3. Expert lino fitter <> wrote:
    > richard <> wrote:
    >> Tonight just out of the blue I get a message from my systray.
    >> WTF? You have mail at {domain].
    >> Huh?
    >> To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing on this machine that even
    >> knows about THAT domain I own. No email clients, no newsreaders,
    >> nuthin. Unless perhaps the addy was found in a temp file somewhere.
    >> What made it even more odd was the mail was from
    >> "".
    >> Ok like that tells me somethin is phishy here.
    >> Looking in the systray I find this icon and it says "launch manager".
    >> What the hell is this?
    >> More investigating shows it's from a company called "Dritek" which
    >> apparently is in Taiwan and out of business.
    >>
    >> Somehow or other Acer has acquired this little nuisance and may be
    >> triggered by applications that have errors. As I had been running one
    >> program tonight in which a crash happened unexpectedly. But no big
    >> deal on that.
    >>
    >> From what I've read the thing is like totally useless so I removed
    >> it. Now by doing that I expect my machine to crash, and go snap, crackle
    >> and pop.

    > Let's see if I can dissect your stupidity steeped in ineptitude and
    > paranoia - You assess (note, I haven't assumed you think, because you
    > evidently can't) that by removing 'something' from your system in the
    > way you describe your machine is somehow going to go tits up, is that
    > right?
    >> Am I really an arsehole?

    > The whole of Usenet knows you are - you seem to be the only one who
    > doesn't smell it.
    >
    > *PLANK* *LINOLEUM*
    >
    > Fit some lino today, it'll do you good - I know because I'm an expert.

    **Corrected**
    Expert lino fitter, Dec 9, 2008