    building. Is there a special name for that or not?

    I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
    the latter is more comical than fact.

    richard, Mar 14, 2009

  2. richard wrote:

    > what's the term used for where nuns live?
    > Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
    > building. Is there a special name for that or not?
    >
    > I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
    > the latter is more comical than fact.

    Nunneries looks like the official name for a "nun monastery" ;-)

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 14, 2009

  3. richard wrote:

    > what's the term used for where nuns live?
    > Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
    > building. Is there a special name for that or not?

    Cloister.

    > I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
    > the latter is more comical than fact.

    "Hie thee to a nunnery."
    -Wm. Shakespeare
    -(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 14, 2009
  4. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:43:23 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> what's the term used for where nuns live?
    >>> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
    >>> building. Is there a special name for that or not?

    >>Cloister.
    >>
    >>> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
    >>> the latter is more comical than fact.

    >>"Hie thee to a nunnery."
    >> -Wm. Shakespeare
    >> -(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

    > Google says, convent, monastery, cloister, as well as abbey.
    >
    > One hit was kind of interesting.
    > If monks live in a monastery, do nuns live in a monkery?
    > don't ask.

    No, they live in a Cathedral. Bishops get *all* the perks.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 15, 2009
  5. richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:43:23 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> what's the term used for where nuns live?
    >>> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
    >>> building. Is there a special name for that or not?

    >> Cloister.
    >>
    >>> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
    >>> the latter is more comical than fact.

    >> "Hie thee to a nunnery."
    >> -Wm. Shakespeare
    >> -(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

    > Google says, convent, monastery, cloister, as well as abbey.

    and for more 'modern' orders of nuns, simply 'the residence'

    Paul T. Holland, Mar 15, 2009