Oddball introduction of useless Removable Disks ????

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loony, Jul 5, 2012.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Hello again Experts :)

    I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    this Win 7.

    It installed the following four "disks."

    Removable Disk (H:)
    Removable Disk (I:)
    Removable Disk (J:)
    Removable Disk (M:)

    Every time I checked them, there was always
    Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes

    How to dump this useless garbage?

    TIA
    Loony, Jul 5, 2012

  2. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > Hello again Experts :)
    >
    > I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    > appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    > this Win 7.
    >
    > It installed the following four "disks."
    >
    > Removable Disk (H:)
    > Removable Disk (I:)
    > Removable Disk (J:)
    > Removable Disk (M:)
    >
    > Every time I checked them, there was always
    > Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    > Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    > Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >
    > How to dump this useless garbage?
    >
    > TIA

    When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?

    It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
    on the front of the computer. Looks like this.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 5, 2012

  3. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again Experts :)
    >
    > I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    > appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of this
    > Win 7.
    >
    > It installed the following four "disks."
    >
    > Removable Disk (H:)
    > Removable Disk (I:)
    > Removable Disk (J:)
    > Removable Disk (M:)
    >
    > Every time I checked them, there was always
    > Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    > Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >
    > How to dump this useless garbage?
    >
    > TIA

    Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
    SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits into
    your camera, for example.

    The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is only
    useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it is really
    useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want to delete
    these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card into the slot.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 5, 2012
  4. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 05/07/2012 16:05, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >> Hello again Experts :)
    >>
    >> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    >> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    >> this Win 7.
    >>
    >> It installed the following four "disks."
    >>
    >> Removable Disk (H:)
    >> Removable Disk (I:)
    >> Removable Disk (J:)
    >> Removable Disk (M:)
    >>
    >> Every time I checked them, there was always
    >> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>
    >> How to dump this useless garbage?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?
    >
    > It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
    > on the front of the computer. Looks like this.
    >
    > http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you again Paul.

    I have a device that has 4 slots for small cards or similar. They are

    SmartMedia S/DMMC and
    Compact Flash MS/MS Duo

    I have had my present computer for about 18 months but I don't recall
    having used or seen any such cards.

    My computer is constantly visited by MSoft and they must have added the
    following:

    Removable Disk (H:)
    Removable Disk (I:)
    Removable Disk (J:)
    Removable Disk (M:)

    I had no reason to do it.

    Thanks again :)
    Loony, Jul 5, 2012
  5. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 05/07/2012 17:13, Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello again Experts :)
    >>
    >> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    >> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    >> this Win 7.
    >>
    >> It installed the following four "disks."
    >>
    >> Removable Disk (H:)
    >> Removable Disk (I:)
    >> Removable Disk (J:)
    >> Removable Disk (M:)
    >>
    >> Every time I checked them, there was always
    >> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>
    >> How to dump this useless garbage?
    >>
    >> TIA

    Thanks Jeff.

    > Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
    > SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits
    > into your camera, for example.

    I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss
    Contaflex from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These don't
    take cards, so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.

    > The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is
    > only useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it
    > is really useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want
    > to delete these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card
    > into the slot.

    OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it
    does. Then I'll head for Wikipedia.

    Thank you :)
    Loony, Jul 5, 2012
  6. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > On 05/07/2012 16:05, Paul wrote:
    >> Loony wrote:
    >>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    >>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    >>> this Win 7.
    >>>
    >>> It installed the following four "disks."
    >>>
    >>> Removable Disk (H:)
    >>> Removable Disk (I:)
    >>> Removable Disk (J:)
    >>> Removable Disk (M:)
    >>>
    >>> Every time I checked them, there was always
    >>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>>
    >>> How to dump this useless garbage?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?
    >>
    >> It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
    >> on the front of the computer. Looks like this.
    >>
    >> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thank you again Paul.
    >
    > I have a device that has 4 slots for small cards or similar. They are
    >
    > SmartMedia S/DMMC and
    > Compact Flash MS/MS Duo
    >
    > I have had my present computer for about 18 months but I don't recall
    > having used or seen any such cards.
    >
    > My computer is constantly visited by MSoft and they must have added the
    > following:
    >
    > Removable Disk (H:)
    > Removable Disk (I:)
    > Removable Disk (J:)
    > Removable Disk (M:)
    >
    > I had no reason to do it.
    >
    > Thanks again :)

    There's some kinda fix here. Done from Disk Management.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/145969/more_quick_fixes_for_common_windows_annoyances.html

    "From the Start menu, run diskmgmt.msc. Under Disk Management, you'll see all your drives.
    Find the unused drives in the lower panel--they're listed with a drive letter,
    a disk number, and a 'No Media' designation. Right-click, select Change Drive Letter
    and Paths, click Remove, click Yes, and say adios. Cool, no?"

    You could always just unplug the USB cable to the card reader.
    That is, if you never use it. Usually those things have a USB
    connection to the motherboard. Switch off all power on the PC,
    before adding or removing that cable (so you don't accidentally
    touch the wrong pins etc). The 2x5 header connector, may not have
    good protection against plugging in the wrong way. So all power
    off, before working in there.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 5, 2012
  7. Loony

    Bville Guest

    Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just
    there IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall
    the card reader.

    Bville, Jul 5, 2012
  8. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
    > Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
    > IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
    > card reader.

    Hello Bville,

    I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
    Win 7 swallowed it?
    The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
    made the mess :)

    Loony, Jul 6, 2012
  9. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
    >> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
    >> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
    >> card reader.

    > Hello Bville,
    >
    > I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
    > Win 7 swallowed it?
    > The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
    > made the mess :)

    A drive letter is reserved for them, as removable media devices.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 6, 2012
  10. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 06/07/2012 11:03, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >> On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
    >>> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
    >>> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
    >>> card reader.

    >> Hello Bville,
    >>
    >> I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the
    >> Win 7 swallowed it?
    >> The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
    >> made the mess :)
    >>

    > A drive letter is reserved for them, as removable media devices.
    >
    > Paul

    OK, thanks Paul. I give up on these until I get more time.
    Have a great weekend :)
    Loony, Jul 6, 2012
  11. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 05/07/2012 17:13, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Loony" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    >>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    >>> this Win 7.
    >>>
    >>> It installed the following four "disks."
    >>>
    >>> Removable Disk (H:)
    >>> Removable Disk (I:)
    >>> Removable Disk (J:)
    >>> Removable Disk (M:)
    >>>
    >>> Every time I checked them, there was always
    >>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>>
    >>> How to dump this useless garbage?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    > Thanks Jeff.
    >
    >> Those are the memory card slots for stuffing
    >> SD/CompactFlash/MemoryStick/SmartMedia into. These cards are what fits
    >> into your camera, for example.

    > I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss Contaflex
    > from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These don't take cards,
    > so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.
    >
    >> The useless garbage is not really useless when you are using it, it is
    >> only useless when you are not, and when youa re not using something, it
    >> is really useless or is it just under used? Bottom line, you do not want
    >> to delete these, you just want to ignore them until you stuff a card
    >> into the slot.

    > OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it does.
    > Then I'll head for Wikipedia.
    >
    > Thank you :)

    What process? There is no process.

    When you are looking at My Computer and see the drive letters, just ignore
    them. That IS the process. When you stumble across a memory card and plug it
    into the hole it fits into, then look at My Computer, you will see that one
    of the drive letters now contains the current condition that reflects the
    capacity and usage of the memory card.

    Drive C is always the main hard disk in the machine. Drive A and Drive B are
    always a floppy disk -- which is almost never seen anymore. (having a floppy
    disk is akin to storing a tablespoon of something instead of storing a
    gallon of it -- floppy disks have a max capacity of 1.44mb, the smallest
    memory card will be multiple gb of capacity if you bought it today -- so
    these drive letters seldom appear anymore. The harware to support Drive A
    and Drive B are not even available on machines built in the last 5 years or
    so.

    Drive D can be either a secondary hard drive, or your CD/DVD. If there is
    both a secondary hard drive and a CD/DVD, then E will be used also.

    The next 4 letters above D or E will generally be memory card slots, and any
    letter higher is typically a network drive location (usually found in
    corporate environments not home systems).

    Any letter above C is always assigned to various storage locations that are
    not the Boot Drive. A very large drive might be divided into sections
    (partitions), and each section will have a letter above C in ascending
    order. When the machine is switched on, Drive C is the drive where the
    operating system is found, the next drives are the partitions, then
    subsequent hard drives, then optical drives, then memory card slots. The
    drive letters are assigned by the machine and you do not want them gone
    unless the respective partition or hardware has been removed.

    So, you have 4 memory card slots and you have 4 Drive Letters that are
    indicated on your system that frustrate you because you think they are
    wasting space. They are not wasting space, and they should not be deleted
    unless you are physically taking the hardware off that the drive
    designations refer to. And, since you have to ask, then you do not want to
    remove the hardware.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 6, 2012
  12. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 05/07/2012 21:45, Bville wrote:
    >> Loony, Loony, Loony! They're not bothering anything. They're just there
    >> IF and when you need them. If it bothers you that much, uninstall the
    >> card reader.

    > Hello Bville,
    >
    > I did not, and still do not, see any card in any of the slots. Has the Win
    > 7 swallowed it?
    > The card reader came with the computer and, after a few months, MSoft
    > made the mess :)

    IT TOOK YOU A FEW MONTHS TO NOTICE THE "MESS," I assure you that it has been
    there since the first day.

    When you start your computer, the basic information that the motherboard
    (heart of the computer) uses to know what to do goes out and looks for
    system resources. It finds (among other things) the 4 memory slots and
    assigns then each a letter. You can remove the drive letters, but the next
    time you start the machine, the motherboard finds the hardware again --
    assuming you do not physically remove it from the system -- and assigns the
    letters again.

    You have to put cards into the slots to read them.

    You need a basic computer class, that's what you need. You are asking the
    equivelent of, I have a light switch on the wall that doesn't do anything.
    The truth is that it does do something, but you have not plugged a lamp into
    the right outlet to see what the switch does.

    Your computer has capacity that you do not use, and it reports that the
    capacity is not being used. You are complaining that you do not use the
    capacity that is available when you really should be marvelling at what your
    machine can do today that the one you had yesterday could not do.

    You have a window in your new car that the old car did not have. You're
    asking how to put sheet metal over the new window when what you need to do
    is discover how to make the window do what it does that makes it worthwhile
    to put it in. Roll the window down and enjoy the ride.

    Buy devices that use memory cards and copy the entire new universe into your
    computer. Join the '90s and get a digital camera, then plug the memory card
    into your computer and see all of the cool places that you went and felt
    inspired to take pictures of. Delete the crappy pictures -- there will be
    plenty of them but, who cares?, except for the camera, the pictures are free
    to throw away -- and send the good ones to your grand kids. Film is a very
    costly medium, you have to pay for the good pics and the bad ones, then if
    you want more copies of the good pics then you have to pay for them too.
    Digital photography is the cat's pajamas, no matter what you do it does not
    cost anything until you want an actual picture in a frame to hang on a wall
    somewhere. And, you can buy digital picture frames that you can load up with
    thousands of pictures ("pics," is what we call them these days) on the
    memory cards that your computer calls G, H, I, & J, or whatever) and have a
    photo history of the nudist vacation on the tropical island if that's what
    you want to do.

    Or, don't. But the drive designations are not a problem, and Win7 did not
    make a mess of things over time. The "mess" has been there since the very
    first day, you only failed to notice. Win7 can and will make a mess of
    things, but this mess is not one them.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 6, 2012
  13. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 05/07/2012 16:05, Paul wrote:
    >> Loony wrote:
    >>> Hello again Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I am using Win 7 and, shortly after I installed it, four Removable Disks
    >>> appeared. On a regular basis MSoft appears to modify many aspects of
    >>> this Win 7.
    >>>
    >>> It installed the following four "disks."
    >>>
    >>> Removable Disk (H:)
    >>> Removable Disk (I:)
    >>> Removable Disk (J:)
    >>> Removable Disk (M:)
    >>>
    >>> Every time I checked them, there was always
    >>> Used space : 0 bytes 0 bytes Free space : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>> Capacity : 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >>>
    >>> How to dump this useless garbage?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> When did you add a memory card reader to the PC ?
    >>
    >> It's that thing, with the bunch of holes for small plugin cards,
    >> on the front of the computer. Looks like this.
    >>
    >> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-300-608-Z02?$S640W$
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thank you again Paul.
    >
    > I have a device that has 4 slots for small cards or similar. They are
    >
    > SmartMedia S/DMMC and
    > Compact Flash MS/MS Duo
    >
    > I have had my present computer for about 18 months but I don't recall
    > having used or seen any such cards.
    >
    > My computer is constantly visited by MSoft and they must have added the
    > following:
    >
    > Removable Disk (H:)
    > Removable Disk (I:)
    > Removable Disk (J:)
    > Removable Disk (M:)
    >
    > I had no reason to do it.
    >
    > Thanks again :)

    Assuming you have not been trying to fix something that is not broke, the
    drives should be H, I, J, K. Drives should be assigned sequentially, and at
    one time they were assigned that way. You (somebody) deleted K and L. You
    really should stop chasing this, it is perfectly fine. In your quest to fix
    something that is not broke, you broke it. Leave it as it is, it does not
    matter and will never matter.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 6, 2012
  14. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 06/07/2012 17:29, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> [...]

    > are not the Boot Drive. A very large drive might be divided into
    > sections (partitions), and each section will have a letter above C in
    > ascending order. When the machine is switched on, Drive C is the drive
    > where the operating system is found, the next drives are the partitions,
    > then subsequent hard drives, then optical drives, then memory card
    > slots. The drive letters are assigned by the machine and you do not want
    > them gone unless the respective partition or hardware has been removed.
    >
    > So, you have 4 memory card slots and you have 4 Drive Letters that are
    > indicated on your system that frustrate you because you think they are
    > wasting space. They are not wasting space, and they should not be
    > deleted unless you are physically taking the hardware off that the drive
    > designations refer to. And, since you have to ask, then you do not want

    Many thanks Paul and Jeff. It will take me some time to take all this
    info in.

    Happy weekend :)
    Loony, Jul 6, 2012
  15. "Loony" <> wrote in message
    > On 06/07/2012 17:29, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Loony" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks Jeff.

    >>> I am way behind on cameras and many other things, with one Zeiss
    >>> Contaflex from decades back and a much more recent Canon-A1. These
    >>> don't take cards, so yes, I admit that I am behind the times.

    >>> OK then, please advise what the name of this process is and what it
    >>> does. Then I'll head for Wikipedia.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you :)
    >>>

    >> What process? There is no process.
    >>
    >> When you are looking at My Computer and see the drive letters, just
    >> ignore them. That IS the process. When you stumble across a memory card
    >> and plug it into the hole it fits into, then look at My Computer, you
    >> will see that one of the drive letters now contains the current
    >> condition that reflects the capacity and usage of the memory card.
    >>
    >> Drive C is always the main hard disk in the machine. Drive A and Drive B
    >> are always a floppy disk -- which is almost never seen anymore. (having
    >> a floppy disk is akin to storing a tablespoon of something instead of
    >> storing a gallon of it -- floppy disks have a max capacity of 1.44mb,
    >> the smallest memory card will be multiple gb of capacity if you bought
    >> it today -- so these drive letters seldom appear anymore. The harware to
    >> support Drive A and Drive B are not even available on machines built in
    >> the last 5 years or so.
    >>
    >> Drive D can be either a secondary hard drive, or your CD/DVD. If there
    >> is both a secondary hard drive and a CD/DVD, then E will be used also.
    >>
    >> The next 4 letters above D or E will generally be memory card slots, and
    >> any letter higher is typically a network drive location (usually found
    >> in corporate environments not home systems).
    >>
    >> Any letter above C is always assigned to various storage locations that
    >> are not the Boot Drive. A very large drive might be divided into
    >> sections (partitions), and each section will have a letter above C in
    >> ascending order. When the machine is switched on, Drive C is the drive
    >> where the operating system is found, the next drives are the partitions,
    >> then subsequent hard drives, then optical drives, then memory card
    >> slots. The drive letters are assigned by the machine and you do not want
    >> them gone unless the respective partition or hardware has been removed.
    >>
    >> So, you have 4 memory card slots and you have 4 Drive Letters that are
    >> indicated on your system that frustrate you because you think they are
    >> wasting space. They are not wasting space, and they should not be
    >> deleted unless you are physically taking the hardware off that the drive
    >> designations refer to. And, since you have to ask, then you do not want
    >> to remove the hardware.

    > Many thanks Paul and Jeff. It will take me some time to take all this info
    > in.
    >
    > Happy weekend :)

    Let me help you...

    Go crack open a brewski and find another "problem" to deal with. This is not
    a problem that needs attention. Leave it alone. Your machine has capacity
    that you do not use, and it is telling you this.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 7, 2012