    the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot. Works fine on
    Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys file checks OK
    and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very strange. Ideas?

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009

  2. Roger_Nickel

    impossible Guest

    "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    news:4a1c9805$...
    > When I boot windows the keyboard is disabled but mouse works OK. Device
    > Manager shows "Error 10, unable to start---" . Delete and then re-install
    > the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot. Works fine on
    > Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys file checks OK
    > and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very strange. Ideas?

    Standard questions:

    What make/model keyboard? PS2? USB? Bluetooth? Infrared remote?

    What version of Windows?

    Is this a new problem with a new keyboard? Or a recurring problem with an
    old keyboard?

    impossible, May 27, 2009

  3. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 03:28:35 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >> When I boot windows the keyboard is disabled but mouse works OK. Device
    >> Manager shows "Error 10, unable to start---" . Delete and then
    >> re-install the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot.
    >> Works fine on Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys
    >> file checks OK and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very
    >> strange. Ideas?

    > Standard questions:
    >
    > What make/model keyboard? PS2? USB? Bluetooth? Infrared remote?
    >
    > What version of Windows?
    >
    > Is this a new problem with a new keyboard? Or a recurring problem with
    > an old keyboard?

    Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3; old
    keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    replying.

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009
  4. Roger_Nickel

    > On Wed, 27 May 2009 03:28:35 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >>> When I boot windows the keyboard is disabled but mouse works OK. Device
    >>> Manager shows "Error 10, unable to start---" . Delete and then
    >>> re-install the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot.
    >>> Works fine on Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys
    >>> file checks OK and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very
    >>> strange. Ideas?

    >> Standard questions:
    >>
    >> What make/model keyboard? PS2? USB? Bluetooth? Infrared remote?
    >>
    >> What version of Windows?
    >>
    >> Is this a new problem with a new keyboard? Or a recurring problem with
    >> an old keyboard?

    > Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3; old
    > keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    > Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    > Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    > replying.

    You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC. This
    will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have been
    corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation disk handy,
    or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to copy. Then reboot.

    impossible, May 27, 2009
  5. Roger_Nickel

    Richard Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3; old
    > keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    > Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    > Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    > replying.

    My solution would be to use a USB keyboard and call it job done.

    Richard, May 27, 2009
  6. In message <4a1c9805$>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Ideas?

    Standard Dimdows answer: reinstall.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  7. Roger_Nickel

    Jack Spratt Guest

    > In message <4a1c9805$>, Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >
    >> Ideas?

    > Standard Dimdows answer: reinstall.

    I'd say go for a USB keyboard.
    This will free up the PS2 one enabling you to beat Lawrence repeatedly
    around the head with it.

    Jack Spratt, May 27, 2009
  8. Roger_Nickel

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 May 2009 03:28:35 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Standard questions:
    >>>
    >>> What make/model keyboard? PS2? USB? Bluetooth? Infrared remote?
    >>>
    >>> What version of Windows?
    >>>
    >>> Is this a new problem with a new keyboard? Or a recurring problem with
    >>> an old keyboard?

    >> Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3; old
    >> keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    >> Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    >> Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    >> replying.

    > You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC. This
    > will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have been
    > corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation disk
    > handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to copy.
    > Then reboot.

    I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you
    use a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC replaces
    files from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem. If it
    doesn't replace them then it does nothing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 27, 2009
  9. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:27:34 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3;
    >>> old keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during
    >>> a Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP
    >>> patch. Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks
    >>> for replying.

    >> You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC.
    >> This will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have
    >> been corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation
    >> disk handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to
    >> copy. Then reboot.
    > >

    > I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you
    > use a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC replaces
    > files from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem. If it
    > doesn't replace them then it does nothing.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I'm in the process of building an XP boot disk with SP3 slipstreamed in.
    Should have done it long ago, so this is the incentive I need. I tried
    running SFC against my archived copies of SP3 and XP (on another hard
    disk) but no go and experiments with changing registry keys didn't work,
    so I'm taking the path of least resistance.

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009
  10. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:21:03 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3;
    >> old keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    >> Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    >> Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    >> replying.

    > My solution would be to use a USB keyboard and call it job done.

    You're right-- Windows isn't enumerating the hardware properly. Now I'm
    curious and I won't rest until I know why.

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009
  11. Roger_Nickel

    impossible Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah--good questions. PS/2 keyboard; XP home edition, service pack 3;
    >>> old
    >>> keyboard which started doing this after a crash-to-desktop during a
    >>> Baldur's Gate game session and well after installation of the XP patch.
    >>> Keyboard works in Linux and does the BIOS self-test OK. Thanks for
    >>> replying.

    >> You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC. This
    >> will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have been
    >> corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation disk
    >> handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to copy.
    >> Then reboot.
    > >

    > I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you use
    > a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC replaces files
    > from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem. If it doesn't
    > replace them then it does nothing.

    Good point. But if you run SFC and point it to a set of SP3-slipstreamed
    installation files, all is well.

    impossible, May 27, 2009
  12. In message <>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Windows isn't enumerating the hardware properly. Now I'm
    > curious and I won't rest until I know why.

    Good luck.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 28, 2009
  13. Roger_Nickel

    Bobs Guest

    On May 27, 1:31 pm, Roger_Nickel <>
    wrote:
    > When I boot windows the keyboard is disabled but mouse works OK. Device
    > Manager shows "Error 10, unable to start---" . Delete and then re-install
    > the driver and keyboard works OK until the next reboot. Works fine on
    > Linux so keyboard probably OK. Signature of the i8042.sys file checks OK
    > and a system roll-back doesn't fix the problem. Very strange. Ideas?

    Try adding it through the add hardware wizard rather than letting
    windows detect it via plug and play.

    Bobs, May 29, 2009
  14. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:10:05 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message

    >>> You might try running the System File Checker utility -- Run | SFC.
    >>> This will verify, and if necessary replace, system files that may have
    >>> been corrupted in the crash. Just be sure to have your installation
    >>> disk handy, or know where to point SFC to find any files it wants to
    >>> copy. Then reboot.
    >> >

    >> I've never risked SFC. It seems to me that if you run XP + SP3 and you
    >> use a CD with vanilla XP you are asking for trouble. If the SFC
    >> replaces files from SP3 with ones from from vanilla that's a problem.
    >> If it doesn't replace them then it does nothing.
    >>

    > Good point. But if you run SFC and point it to a set of SP3-slipstreamed
    > installation files, all is well

    I got the slipstream disk working and ran sfc. The problem turned out to
    be a loose power connector on the hard disk drive. What an anticlimax...

    Roger_Nickel, May 29, 2009