Odd things happening to my computer (graphics card related)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SonicMonkey, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. SonicMonkey

    SonicMonkey Guest

    Hello

    Well let me get right to the point. I was playing a game and running
    morphues and downloading some stuff. Morph crashed but was still in
    the task manager so I decided to close it form there and reboot. I
    reboot and I get 4 beeps and a saying that no power cord is connected
    to my graphics card. So I turn all the power off and re-start it, it
    boots up into window and says that there is no ati card present so no
    drivers will be loaded. So I turn if off again and open the case I see
    the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
    decide to swap it. I turn it on gain and the power is back. Now I
    would say it was a bad power supply but I just like just replaced it
    with an ultra 500w. So I'm thinking it still might be a bad PS but I'm
    getting a memory error every now and then, which leads me to think it
    might be the graphics card.

    Computer
    Mobo: Asus a7n8x-e deluxe
    CUP: AMD 3200 XP (400fsb)C
    Mem: Curtail 2x512 twinX ram pc 3200
    HD: Maxtor diamond max 200 GB sata
    Graphic card: ATI X800 XL
    Sound Card: Audigy Value
    Power Supply: Ultra 500W

    5 fans tons of air flow
    case temp 28
    cpu temp 52 max

    Thanks
    Scott
    SonicMonkey, Oct 6, 2005

  2. SonicMonkey

    Mike Easter Guest

    SonicMonkey wrote:

    > reboot and I get 4 beeps and a saying that no power cord is connected
    > to my graphics card.

    > power off and re-start it, it
    > boots up into window and says that there is no ati card present so no
    > drivers will be loaded.

    Intermittent graphics card failure?

    > So I turn if off again and open the case I see
    > the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
    > decide to swap it.

    I don't understand that sentence. What power cord did you see inside
    the case?

    > would say it was a bad power supply but I just like just replaced it
    > with an ultra 500w. So I'm thinking it still might be a bad PS but I'm
    > getting a memory error every now and then, which leads me to think it
    > might be the graphics card.

    Intermittent or inconsistent hardware problems are a bitch.

    My suspect is the graphics card.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2005

  3. SonicMonkey

    SonicMonkey Guest

    On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 23:34:53 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >SonicMonkey wrote:
    >

    >> So I turn if off again and open the case I see
    >> the power cord I connected about a month ago still firmly in place and
    >> decide to swap it.

    >I don't understand that sentence. What power cord did you see inside
    >the case?

    Sorry, I turned off the computer again and opened the case. I could
    see the power cable connected to the graphics card and it wasn't lose
    or not on fully. so I changed around the power cords in the case to
    see if that would work.

    Hope that makes more Spence
    SonicMonkey, Oct 6, 2005