odd test question

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by louscannon, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. louscannon

    louscannon Guest

    Hi, I'm pretty new here, I'm going to go on the MCDST course in Feb
    next year. I've already passed the City and Guids in computer hardware,
    the A+ and i'm sorry to say, failed the N+ by 5 points :( However, i'm
    more than eager to start afresh with this exam!
    I've joined a test exam web site (www.pass-guaranteed.com) and
    downloaded a few test questions, just to get a feel for the type of
    questions I'll be facing!
    However, i'm a bit confused by a question on the test site.. it goes
    like this:

    "you are a desktop support technition for a large company.A user
    reports that he needs to connect to a network printer. The printer is
    attached to a windows server computer, the users computer runs windows
    xp Pro.
    The user wants to connect to the printer as soon as possible, but he
    does not have the correct driver for the printer.
    You need to ensure that the user can connect to the printer as soon as
    possible.
    Do you:
    A. Install a generic printer driver
    B.Run the add hardware wizard, and allows windows to detect the printer
    C.Visit the manufacturer's web site, and download the latest drivers
    for the printer
    D. use the add printer wizard, to connect to the printer.

    I answered C, so that he got the proper driver for the printer, and
    hopefully that'll save on future problems.
    But, the answer was D. If you use the printer wizzard to connect to the
    network printer, would you still need to get hold of the drivers, in
    order to make the printer work? or do you only need to install drivers
    for a local printer?
    Graham
    louscannon, Nov 24, 2005

  2. louscannon

    sarath Guest

    Look like you are using brain dump stuff. I don’t know about how they
    guaranteed your pass. If you wanna learn something go with official learning
    material. All Microsoft exams have their official learning material. Check
    out MS web site. MS press book give you a real study method and 300+150
    practice exam. As well as latest Microsoft release SP2 and other tech release.

    Answer for your question is D. you have to use add printer wizard to connect
    the printer. You need to connect print server. Therefore, you have to make
    printer on your computer. Adding printer mean not connect with external
    device on your computer. Add printer wizard guide you through the driver.

    By the way pass guaranteed not guarantee for your future. Make sure with
    your study. Wasting money or get a life.
    --
    Hands that help are holier than lips that pray.
    sarath, Nov 24, 2005

  3. louscannon

    Taylor Guest

    www.pass-guaranteed.com is a brain dump. You might as well go to
    TestKing and download the exact same copy since that site just
    redistributes them. Not a good idea.
    Taylor, Nov 24, 2005
  4. louscannon

    Taylor Guest

    "D. You need to ensure that the user can connect to the printer as soon
    as
    possible."

    Reason: You're running Windows XP Professional and the key words were
    "as soon as possible". The wizard will use a Generic Windows Printer
    driver to ensure that you can do basic printing functions until you can
    correct the driver issue.

    Taylor
    Taylor, Nov 24, 2005
  5. louscannon

    Taylor Guest

    "D. You need to ensure that the user can connect to the printer as soon

    as possible."

    Reason: You're running Windows XP Professional and the key words were
    "as soon as possible". The wizard will use a Generic Windows Printer
    driver to ensure that you can do basic printing functions since all you
    need to do is connect to a networked printer.

    Yes, if your printer did something like photos and high quality prints,
    then I'd make sure I had the correct driver in order to ensure that
    you're getting the best quality out of your photos or whatever it is
    that you're printing. Besides, this question deals with the urgency of
    hooking a printer up.

    Graham, you really should consider running through the free online
    E-Learning from Microsoft, as this specific issue is covered in it. You
    can get that here:

    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerId=11583

    Don't use a brain-dump. You're not going to learn anything in the long
    run.

    Taylor
    Taylor, Nov 24, 2005
  6. louscannon

    T-Bone Guest

    "louscannon" <> wrote
    > I've joined a test exam web site (www.pass-guaranteed.com) and
    > downloaded a few test questions, just to get a feel for the type of
    > questions I'll be facing!

    This is a brain dump site and brain dumps are cheating. If you set up a
    couple of computers and actually practice with the product rather than
    trying to memorize the answers you'll do just fine.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Nov 24, 2005
  7. louscannon

    M Guest

    Most of the answers that you need are in The MCDST Training Kit (two books)
    from Microsoft Press by Walter Glenn. Studying training manuals either from
    Microsoft Press or from another publisher (try Amazon) combined with real
    experience is a better way to go. Don't give up on the A+, whereas MCDST is
    mainly concerned with software, A+ is more concerned with hardware. They
    compliment each other. I hope that you haven't paid much for the MCDST
    course, I passed both exams through self study with The MCDST Training Kit
    from Microsoft Press.

    M, Nov 24, 2005
  8. louscannon

    louscannon Guest

    thanks a lot for the advice, and the web site! I'm not due to start the
    course until Feb, but I'll keep a note of the site nearer the time!
    Reading the question again,it does make sense, as you say, the guy
    needed the printer up and running ASAP.
    Graham
    louscannon, Nov 24, 2005
  9. louscannon

    Jon Guest

    the correct answer is "D" because the driver for the network printer will
    be automatically download to the user's computer from the print server. This
    is down by using the add printer wizard.
    I would reccommed that you study properly before you attempt the exam.
    Always reason with yourself before answering a question. Remember as a
    technician you have to be able to reason, afterall it is the little things
    that count.

    Jon, Nov 30, 2005