Odd Problem in XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it tells
    me

    "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association
    through Folder Options in Control Panel"

    I get a different message when trying to open any utility like msconfig or
    regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it doesnt know what
    program created it" then gives me the option to connect to the internet.

    I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been corrupted or
    deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate them as nothing will
    open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the icons in control panel work.
    Nothing will open ... not even the volume control LoL (dont ask why I
    tried that)

    Any suggestions? ... please ....

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Rider wrote:

    > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it tells
    > me
    >
    > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association
    > through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >
    > I get a different message when trying to open any utility like msconfig or
    > regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it doesnt know what
    > program created it" then gives me the option to connect to the internet.
    >
    > I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been corrupted or
    > deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate them as nothing will
    > open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the icons in control panel work.
    > Nothing will open ... not even the volume control LoL (dont ask why I
    > tried that)
    >
    > Any suggestions? ... please ....

    The three R's
    Repair?
    Roll back?
    Re-install?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Rider

    Dorado Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > tells me
    >
    > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >
    > I get a different message when trying to open any utility like
    > msconfig or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it
    > doesnt know what program created it" then gives me the option to
    > connect to the internet.
    >
    > I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been
    > corrupted or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate
    > them as nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the
    > icons in control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the
    > volume control LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    >
    > Any suggestions? ... please ....
    >
    > Rider

    Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus scanner, clean
    your system then go here
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the problem.

    Dorado, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >
    >> Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    >> tells me
    >>
    >> "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    >> association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >>
    >> I get a different message when trying to open any utility like msconfig
    >> or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it doesnt know
    >> what program created it" then gives me the option to connect to the
    >> internet.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been corrupted
    >> or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate them as
    >> nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the icons in
    >> control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the volume control
    >> LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? ... please ....

    > The three R's
    > Repair?

    You mean off the Install Cd? *runs off*

    > Roll back?

    Restore wont start ..... aarrgghhhhh

    > Re-install?

    God I hope not LoL

    I thought those were going to be my options, was hoping someone had seen
    this before.

    Cheers

    Rider, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    >> tells me
    >>
    >> "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    >> association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >>
    >> I get a different message when trying to open any utility like
    >> msconfig or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it
    >> doesnt know what program created it" then gives me the option to
    >> connect to the internet.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been
    >> corrupted or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate
    >> them as nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the
    >> icons in control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the
    >> volume control LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? ... please ....
    >>
    >> Rider

    > Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus scanner,
    > clean
    > your system then go here
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    > Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    > get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the
    > problem.

    Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont open, just
    brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file" message.

    Thanks anyhoo

    Rider, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Rider

    Dorado Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program
    >>> it tells me
    >>>
    >>> "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    >>> association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >>>
    >>> I get a different message when trying to open any utility like
    >>> msconfig or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it
    >>> doesnt know what program created it" then gives me the option to
    >>> connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been
    >>> corrupted or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate
    >>> them as nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the
    >>> icons in control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the
    >>> volume control LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? ... please ....
    >>>
    >>> Rider

    >> Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus
    >> scanner, clean
    >> your system then go here
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    >> Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    >> get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the
    >> problem.
    >>

    > Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont open,
    > just brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file" message.
    >
    > Thanks anyhoo

    Try using an online virus scanner ... like this one

    the utility I mentioned for fixing it isn't a program. It's an inf file
    which u right click and select install. From what I know if the problem was
    caused by a virus then this shouldn't be effected.

    Dorado, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Dorado" <> wrote in message

    >>> Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus
    >>> scanner, clean
    >>> your system then go here
    >>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    >>> Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    >>> get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the
    >>> problem.
    >>>

    >> Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont open,
    >> just brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file" message.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyhoo

    > Try using an online virus scanner ... like this one
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >
    > the utility I mentioned for fixing it isn't a program. It's an inf file
    > which u right click and select install. From what I know if the problem
    > was
    > caused by a virus then this shouldn't be effected.

    Excellent, it wasnt .. and it worked. Cheers for that. I got the machine
    after someone had already tried to fix it, then everything went sour and
    they brought it to me ... bastards LoL

    Cheers for your help, saved me a lot of frustration.

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 27, 2004
  8. Rider

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:21:42 +1300, "Dorado" <>
    wrote:

    >Rider wrote:
    >> "Dorado" <> wrote in message

    >>> Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus
    >>> scanner, clean
    >>> your system then go here
    >>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    >>> Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    >>> get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the
    >>> problem.
    >>>

    >> Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont open,
    >> just brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file" message.
    >>
    >> Thanks anyhoo

    >Try using an online virus scanner ... like this one
    >http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >
    >the utility I mentioned for fixing it isn't a program. It's an inf file
    >which u right click and select install. From what I know if the problem was
    >caused by a virus then this shouldn't be effected.

    I'd imagine without any programs running he won't be able to open
    internet explorer. Start/Run might work though?

    What about safe mode? If it is a virus your programs should work
    there? Windows 2000 gets into safe mode by pressing f8 on the black
    start up screen. I imagine for XP that should be amended to press f8
    on the first black start up screen.

    Mr Bond, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Rider

    Dorado Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> "Dorado" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont
    >>> open, just brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file"
    >>> message.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks anyhoo

    >> Try using an online virus scanner ... like this one
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    >>
    >> the utility I mentioned for fixing it isn't a program. It's an inf
    >> file which u right click and select install. From what I know if the
    >> problem was
    >> caused by a virus then this shouldn't be effected.
    >>

    > Excellent, it wasnt .. and it worked. Cheers for that. I got the
    > machine after someone had already tried to fix it, then everything
    > went sour and they brought it to me ... bastards LoL
    >
    > Cheers for your help, saved me a lot of frustration.
    >
    > Rider

    Glad it worked :)

    Dorado, Oct 27, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  11. "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > tells me
    >
    > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > association through Folder Options in Control Panel"

    It sounds like your exefile entry has become corrupt in the winxp registry.
    Usually this is caused by virus activity. The usual fix is to remove the
    virus, then rename regedit.exe as regedit.com. Of course, since nothing
    works you typically have to click on start, run, type "cmd" in the box, hit
    enter, then something like

    ren c:\windows\regedit.exe c:\windows\regedit.com

    to do this. Then once you have done that you should be able to run regedit
    from the run box. The entry that you want to look at is most likely
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

    It has a default value of the string

    "%1" %*

    If you see anything else here, change it to the above after noting the
    original values. Then see if you can open programs - usually I reboot at
    this stage so I am not sure if it is necessary to reboot or not before
    things start working.

    If this does not help then you will probably have to go with Dave's
    suggestion of reinstalling :p.

    Andrew Bryson
    http://www.bryson.co.nz

    Andrew Bryson, Oct 27, 2004
  12. "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > tells me
    >
    > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >
    > I get a different message when trying to open any utility like msconfig or
    > regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it doesnt know what
    > program created it" then gives me the option to connect to the internet.
    >
    > I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been corrupted
    > or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate them as nothing
    > will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the icons in control panel
    > work. Nothing will open ... not even the volume control LoL (dont ask
    > why I tried that)
    >
    > Any suggestions? ... please ....
    >
    > Rider

    Some virus disable associations of .exe files, and will invoke the virus
    code first when starting a .exe.

    You might want to reboot in safe mode, and run COMMAND. This will invoke the
    COMMAND.COM, not the CMD.EXE processor.

    Now copy regedit.exe as anyname.com and execute this guy... It'll run just
    fine. Adjust the keys and off you go...

    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 27, 2004
  13. Rider

    Matt B Guest

    In news:YEBfd.3202$,
    Rider <> wrote:
    > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > tells me
    >
    > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    >
    > I get a different message when trying to open any utility like
    > msconfig or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it
    > doesnt know what program created it" then gives me the option to
    > connect to the internet.
    >
    > I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been
    > corrupted or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate
    > them as nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the
    > icons in control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the
    > volume control LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    >
    > Any suggestions? ... please ....
    >
    > Rider

    Yeah, I've seen this. Tried all the other things you already have had
    suggested to you (like checking for s w e n etc) but the more I looked, the
    worse it was. Practically every association had been lost, not just exe and
    cpl as you've noted. Tried opening a data file (doc, xls, txt) and got the
    same result - lost association? The bummer is, you can't even run the event
    viewer to try and suss what may have been the cause.

    I started manually restoring associations in the registry (by renaming
    regedit.exe to .com and running) until I realised the scope of the damage,
    which is when I did a repair install of XP which fixed pretty well all of
    it, as far as I could tell.

    IIRC, after the repair the event logs showed that Windows had "recovered"
    from a problem loading the registry on boot, immediately preceding the
    appearance of the symptoms. Short story? - IMHO, check for viruses using eg
    Housecall then don't muck around, do a repair install...
    HTH...

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Oct 27, 2004
  14. In article <4PBfd.3211$> in nz.comp on Wed, 27
    Oct 2004 13:18:09 +1300, Rider <> says...

    > "Dorado" <> wrote in message
    > > Rider wrote:
    > >> Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > >> tells me
    > >>
    > >> "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > >> association through Folder Options in Control Panel"
    > >>
    > >> I get a different message when trying to open any utility like
    > >> msconfig or regedit, like "Windows can not open this file because it
    > >> doesnt know what program created it" then gives me the option to
    > >> connect to the internet.
    > >>
    > >> I'm guessing the associations for the file extensions have been
    > >> corrupted or deleted. But now I'm kinda stuck on how to re-asscoiate
    > >> them as nothing will open. Msconig wont, regedit wont, none of the
    > >> icons in control panel work. Nothing will open ... not even the
    > >> volume control LoL (dont ask why I tried that)
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions? ... please ....
    > >>
    > >> Rider

    > > Looks like you've been infected with a virus. Install a virus scanner,
    > > clean
    > > your system then go here
    > > http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp
    > > Under "AVERT Utilities, Removers, and AVERT DAT Updates"
    > > get Fixswen.inf and follow their instructions. That should fix the
    > > problem.
    > >

    > Cheers, but it wont let me install anything as any program wont open, just
    > brings up the "I have no idea what to do with this file" message.

    Make a BartsPE bootable CD, install McAfees CLI scanner on it, boot from
    that, run the virus scan.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 27, 2004
  15. In article <clmsms$due$> in nz.comp on Wed, 27 Oct 2004
    14:12:56 +1300, Andrew Bryson <> says...
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > > Got a machine here running XP Home. If I try and start any program it
    > > tells me
    > >
    > > "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an
    > > association through Folder Options in Control Panel"

    > It sounds like your exefile entry has become corrupt in the winxp registry.
    > Usually this is caused by virus activity. The usual fix is to remove the
    > virus, then rename regedit.exe as regedit.com. Of course, since nothing
    > works you typically have to click on start, run, type "cmd" in the box, hit
    > enter, then something like
    >
    > ren c:\windows\regedit.exe c:\windows\regedit.com
    >
    > to do this. Then once you have done that you should be able to run regedit
    > from the run box. The entry that you want to look at is most likely
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
    >
    > It has a default value of the string
    >
    > "%1" %*
    >
    > If you see anything else here, change it to the above after noting the
    > original values. Then see if you can open programs - usually I reboot at
    > this stage so I am not sure if it is necessary to reboot or not before
    > things start working.
    >
    > If this does not help then you will probably have to go with Dave's
    > suggestion of reinstalling :p.

    Can probably get away with repairing rather than total reinstall

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 27, 2004