Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by markm75, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    switch.

    We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..

    I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    the internet connection down when connected to our switch.

    I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    none of which made a difference.

    Anyone run into this before?

    Thanks
     
    markm75, Apr 4, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. markm75

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    On Apr 4, 11:18 am, markm75 <> wrote:
    > In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    > our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    > switch.
    >
    > We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    > would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..
    >
    >  I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    > whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    > the internet connection down when connected to our switch.
    >
    > I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    > faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    > plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    > out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    > noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    > tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    > none of which made a difference.
    >
    > Anyone run into this before?
    >
    > Thanks


    The Belkin unit you specified is not a wireless access point only. It
    is a complete router and might interfer with your Sonicwall.
     
    smlunatick, Apr 4, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    On Apr 4, 12:54 pm, smlunatick <> wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 11:18 am, markm75 <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    > > our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    > > switch.

    >
    > > We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    > > would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..

    >
    > >  I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    > > whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    > > the internet connection down when connected to our switch.

    >
    > > I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    > > faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    > > plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    > > out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    > > noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    > > tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    > > none of which made a difference.

    >
    > > Anyone run into this before?

    >
    > > Thanks

    >
    > The Belkin unit you specified is not a wireless access point only.  It
    > is a complete router and might interfer with your Sonicwall.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Actually it does function as strictly an access point.. there is an
    option in the configuration web page to switch it back and forth..
    actually i've had this guy off for while but now the problems have
    come back.. so i dont think it was the access point..

    i'm going to hook a hub up, between the switches and the sonicwall and
    plug a laptop in and attempt to do a sniff and see if there is
    anything unusual.
     
    markm75, Apr 4, 2008
    #3
  4. markm75

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our business switch, slows the net

    unless you changed the default settings, the Comcast device is also
    a router serving DHCP and it has a firewall. Comcast has several
    devices - what model # do you have exactly?

    is the static configured on the WAN of the Comcast router or on the
    Sonicwall?

    more details are needed.

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:18:21 -0700 (PDT), markm75 <>
    wrote:

    >In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    >our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    >switch.
    >
    >We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    >would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..
    >
    > I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    >whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    >the internet connection down when connected to our switch.
    >
    >I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    >faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    >plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    >out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    >noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    >tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    >none of which made a difference.
    >
    >Anyone run into this before?
    >
    >Thanks

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
     
    Barb Bowman, Apr 5, 2008
    #4
  5. markm75

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    On Apr 4, 3:58 pm, markm75 <> wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 12:54 pm, smlunatick <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Apr 4, 11:18 am, markm75 <> wrote:

    >
    > > > In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    > > > our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    > > > switch.

    >
    > > > We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    > > > would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..

    >
    > > >  I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    > > > whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    > > > the internet connection down when connected to our switch.

    >
    > > > I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    > > > faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    > > > plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    > > > out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    > > > noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    > > > tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    > > > none of which made a difference.

    >
    > > > Anyone run into this before?

    >
    > > > Thanks

    >
    > > The Belkin unit you specified is not a wireless access point only.  It
    > > is a complete router and might interfer with your Sonicwall.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > Actually it does function as strictly an access point.. there is an
    > option in the configuration web page to switch it back and forth..
    > actually i've had this guy off for while but now the problems have
    > come back.. so i dont think it was the access point..
    >
    > i'm going to hook a hub up, between the switches and the sonicwall and
    > plug a laptop in and attempt to do a sniff and see if there is
    > anything unusual.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    You should access he Belkin an check to see if the DCHP or WAN access
    has been turn on. Two DHCPs or two routing services can cause
    problems.
     
    smlunatick, Apr 6, 2008
    #5
  6. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    On Apr 6, 12:54 pm, smlunatick <> wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 3:58 pm,markm75<> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Apr 4, 12:54 pm, smlunatick <> wrote:

    >
    > > > On Apr 4, 11:18 am,markm75<> wrote:

    >
    > > > > In our business network, we have a sonicwall 2040 router connected to
    > > > > our comcast static ip modem.. the sonicwall connects to a gigabit
    > > > > switch.

    >
    > > > > We had been having some internet connectivity issues.. The internet
    > > > > would drag, ping times in the 300 etc..

    >
    > > > >  I was able to find the root of the cause and surprisingly, for
    > > > > whatever (yet to be determined) reason, our access point seems to drag
    > > > > the internet connection down when connected to our switch.

    >
    > > > > I am not really sure why this would be the case, perhaps its just a
    > > > > faulty belkin access point (f5d8231-4), as i have 3 switches, I tried
    > > > > plugging it into each, each time the same results (though it starts
    > > > > out fine, then by 30 seconds the ping times are bad).. I can say that
    > > > > noone was connected to the N device during any of these tests, I also
    > > > > tried various combinations of settings like N mode only, n and g, etc,
    > > > > none of which made a difference.

    >
    > > > > Anyone run into this before?

    >
    > > > > Thanks

    >
    > > > The Belkin unit you specified is not a wireless access point only.  It
    > > > is a complete router and might interfer with your Sonicwall.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > > Actually it does function as strictly an access point.. there is an
    > > option in the configuration web page to switch it back and forth..
    > > actually i've had this guy off for while but now the problems have
    > > come back.. so i dont think it was the access point..

    >
    > > i'm going to hook a hub up, between the switches and the sonicwall and
    > > plug a laptop in and attempt to do a sniff and see if there is
    > > anything unusual.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > You should access he Belkin an check to see if the DCHP or WAN access
    > has been turn on.  Two DHCPs or two routing services can cause
    > problems.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I kept checking this.. thinking it was the belkin (dhcp was off).. but
    as it turns out so far.. it was one port on the switch.. traced it
    back to a workstation.. i went down to the users office to determine
    what could be the cause.. after i get in there, the issue had stopped
    and has since been ok.. very odd.. they have a laptop and a
    workstation which they were flipping the same ethernet cable between
    every now and then.

    Still at a loss as to what was causing the issue.
     
    markm75, Apr 8, 2008
    #6
  7. markm75

    Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    I also have a Sonicwall serving N1 AP's. We've been having issues
    with our Sonicwall 1260Pro and N1 AP architecture, and I've come to
    the conclusion that it may have to do with DHCP forwarding on the
    N1's. Wired connections work fine, and while in AP mode, the Belkins
    work ok for a while, but eventually nodes begin to not receive IP
    addresses; they get self-assigned 169.x.x.x instead. I've spoken with
    Belkin a few times about this, and so far the best solution they gave
    me was to place the ethernet cable from the Sonicwall into Port 1-4,
    and not the WAN port. Again, it worked for a while then petered out
    again.

    I gave up for now; I currently replaced the old configuration with 2
    Linksys APs running DDWRT and a Smoothwall firewall appliance in place
    of the Sonicwall. Unless I find a solution soon, I'm putting the
    1260Pro on ebay, and I'm going to probably wind up giving the N1's
    away, or selling them for dirt cheap. They work great for in-home
    wireless routers, but not so well on a larger medium-business scale
    where you wish to keep all devices and nodes on a certain subnet,
    without an extra routing hop and unnecessary network segmentation.
    Unless Belkin comes out with an updated firmware that fixes these
    issues (which I'm not personally holding my breath), it looks like we
    may very well be out-of-luck for the time being. If anyone has
    discovered a solution or even a work-around to the N1 as an AP issue,
    please let me know. Likewise, if you're interested in purchasing a
    Sonicwall1260Pro or some Belkin N1's, hit me up for a sweet deal! ;-)
     
    , Apr 10, 2008
    #7
  8. markm75

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: Odd problem: Belkin N1 access point, connected to our businessswitch, slows the net

    On Apr 10, 4:37 pm, wrote:
    > I also have a Sonicwall serving N1 AP's.  We've been having issues
    > with our Sonicwall 1260Pro and N1 AP architecture, and I've come to
    > the conclusion that it may have to do with DHCP forwarding on the
    > N1's.  Wired connections work fine, and while in AP mode, the Belkins
    > work ok for a while, but eventually nodes begin to not receive IP
    > addresses; they get self-assigned 169.x.x.x instead.  I've spoken with
    > Belkin a few times about this, and so far the best solution they gave
    > me was to place the ethernet cable from the Sonicwall into Port 1-4,
    > and not the WAN port.  Again, it worked for a while then petered out
    > again.
    >
    > I gave up for now; I currently replaced the old configuration with 2
    > Linksys APs running DDWRT and a Smoothwall firewall appliance in place
    > of the Sonicwall.  Unless I find a solution soon, I'm putting the
    > 1260Pro on ebay, and I'm going to probably wind up giving the N1's
    > away, or selling them for dirt cheap.  They work great for in-home
    > wireless routers, but not so well on a larger medium-business scale
    > where you wish to keep all devices and nodes on a certain subnet,
    > without an extra routing hop and unnecessary network segmentation.
    > Unless Belkin comes out with an updated firmware that fixes these
    > issues (which I'm not personally holding my breath), it looks like we
    > may very well be out-of-luck for the time being.  If anyone has
    > discovered a solution or even a work-around to the N1 as an AP issue,
    > please let me know.  Likewise, if you're interested in purchasing a
    > Sonicwall1260Pro or some Belkin N1's, hit me up for a sweet deal!  ;-)


    It should be stated that some Access Points can have the wireless
    network set up as a separate network that the regular wired network.
     
    smlunatick, Apr 11, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. doughy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,753
    doughy
    Jun 19, 2004
  2. Taishi

    Belkin Wireless Network Access Point (F5D6130)

    Taishi, Sep 24, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    579
    Taishi
    Sep 24, 2005
  3. Jim PKP

    Belkin Wireless Access Point FSD6130

    Jim PKP, Apr 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,785
    pcbutts1
    Apr 30, 2004
  4. David Sudjiman
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,275
    David Sudjiman
    Jun 8, 2006
  5. Nate Goulet
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,318
    Nate Goulet
    Dec 7, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page