Odd lockup problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JM, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. JM

    JM Guest

    Hi, I've been fighting problems with this computer for months. I built it
    for my mom before I went to college last year and I endud up spending a lot
    of weekends at home trying to fix it. I had two sticks of RAM that didn't
    work (I couldnt even get memtest to run on them, and I put them into another
    computer and the other computer didn't do very well with them, either, so I
    pitched them. Two nice corsair 512 performance sticks, too. Its a shame.)

    Anyway, I figured that I would format and then reinstall everything because
    maybe the RAM being messed up could have corrupted Windows or something, but
    I still have the lockup problems every once in a while, but not as frequent
    as before. I defiantely notice problems when I'm playing Battlefield 2, and
    every couple of minutes or so the action just stops, sound effects skip and
    repeat, for about 5-10 seconds, and then its nice and flawless again.

    Rarely, but often enough to be a concern, my computer locks up when I'm
    browsing the internet or just doing odds and ends things in Windows, like
    reading txt files and stuff, but it seems to go away when I disabled ICQ
    from starting up with windows. The problem with the game still happens. Im
    also told that the computer locks up sometimes while buring DVDs.

    One other quirk with the computer is that the printer always turns on and
    spits out one sheet of paper when I boot. I dont know what in the world
    would be doing this. I even RMA's the motherboard to newegg for a
    replacement, thinking that the one I was shipped might be defective. It
    still does it.

    Here aer my specs

    AMD 64 3500+
    Windows XP Home
    MSI nForce 3.... K8N Neo2 Platinum
    GeForce 6800 GT
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Ram
    Antec 450W Power Supply (I bought this because the other one was
    insufficient) +12v 30A
    SB Audigy 2 Value

    If you need any clarification I would be glad to answer. So far I've
    replace the motherboard, RAM, and power supply.

    Thanks in advance:
    JM

    JM, Aug 13, 2005

  2. JM

    JM Guest

    Anyone have any ideas?

    JM, Aug 20, 2005

  3. JM

    SonicMonkey Guest

    If this mobo has a Mavell Nic try rolling back the drivers, or re
    install the ones on the mobo cd. this is what my comp was doing when i
    was using the new drivers.

    SonicMonkey, Sep 22, 2005