Odd key problem on new CD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Smokr, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    Hello. I have purchased XP Pro x64 OS from an online store. When
    received the Windows CD, it is a green printed CD in a plain white pape
    case with a typed CD key on the back on a plain white sticker. No box
    no papers, no 'sticker' or such. It looks fine, genuine even, but fo
    the wording on the CD.

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition
    (Volume License Product Key Required)
    June 2006
    Systems
    Windows
    Client:
    Business
    Not for retail or OEM distribution or for resale
    End Item Part No.
    E85-02830
    then a UPC bar code
    Microsoft Licensing

    On the back of the plain white paper case is a 25 number "PRODUCT KEY
    in five sets of five digits.
    Is this a 'normal' XPPro x64 CD? Is this "PRODUCT KEY" going t
    activate it when I install it?
    I can find no images online that look like this CD does. It is mostl
    reflective with green on top right half. I've seen the white labeled CD
    and the blue Academic version, but no images of this silver and gree
    one.
    Can this be an illegal copy I've been sold from an online store with
    decent reputation?
    I did find a green XP cd, but it is a Dell OEM and looks nothing lik
    this one I have

    --
    Smok
    Smokr's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/smokr.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    Smokr, Mar 10, 2009

  2. You've been had. It is illegal to sell a volume license product that way.
    See: www.microsoft.com/genuine for details. And click the link for suspected
    privacy to see what your recourse is. (And to bang in the ones who cheated
    you!)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 10, 2009

  3. Smokr

    David B. Guest

    As Charlie said, it's definitely illegal.

    David B., Mar 10, 2009
  4. What online store sold it to you? We need to know to save any other members
    from getting screwed.
    ===================

    David B. Mathews, Mar 10, 2009
  5. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    Smokr, Mar 10, 2009
  6. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    I just called the Microsoft PC Security line 1-866-PCSAFETY or 1 (866
    727-2338
    The rep (Indian but spoke fairly clearly) asked what it says on th
    disc and to describe it. He says it is the standard way now for XP x6
    distribution and is fine to use and activate for a personal use hom
    computers. No volume license will be needed, just to use the code tha
    is on the paper case.

    I just posted here
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/.../thread/16444716-edaa-44f7-97d8-376d6e7b3185/
    before calling, then added there about the call.

    Now I'm even less sure what to do.
    lo

    --
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/1137783.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    Smokr, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/cfyvj

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...p/thread/16444716-edaa-44f7-97d8-376d6e7b3185

    Both Microsoft online say illegal and RMA it, phone security guy sai
    to use it
    Once again, overseas help center proves useless, worse than useless
    giving out false information
    What if I had decided to listen to the phone rep and simply stoppe
    there? Geeeze

    Smokr, Mar 11, 2009
  8. So where on line did you but it so someone else won't make the same mistake.
    ================

    David B. Mathews, Mar 11, 2009
  9. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    Smokr, Mar 11, 2009
  10. Smokr

    Smokr Guest

    Smokr, Mar 12, 2009
  11. Smokr

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E, Mar 12, 2009
  12. rule #1 - if the price looks too good to be true... It is.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 12, 2009
  13. Smokr

    Dennis Aston Guest

    Dennis Aston, Mar 13, 2009