Odd freeze problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dan, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    My computer freezes shortly after the desktop appears when I boot up in
    Win98, but, if I am quick enough I can go into a video game, such as a
    flight simulator,and it works fine. Shortly after I exit the game the
    system freezes. Sometimes, instead of freezing it will automatically
    reboot. Thinking it might be a virus or a problem with the hard drive,
    I tried installing Win XP on a new hard drive but it freezes when I
    begin to enter the license code or shortly before. Tried using a
    different video card, but it made no difference either. In Win 98,
    only systray is clicked in the start program list and autoexec and
    config sys are clean. Works fine in safe mode. Does this sound at
    all familiar to anyone?

    Much appreciated,
    Dan

    Aopen mb,
    KDS monitor (17")
    GeForce 2GTS vid card with 32 mb ram
    256 mb ram
    Duron 800 mhz cpu

    Dan, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Dan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Dan <> wrote in news:3FE6768F.7030709
    @hfx.eastlink.ca:

    > My computer freezes shortly after the desktop appears when I boot up in
    > Win98, but, if I am quick enough I can go into a video game, such as a
    > flight simulator,and it works fine. Shortly after I exit the game the
    > system freezes. Sometimes, instead of freezing it will automatically
    > reboot. Thinking it might be a virus or a problem with the hard drive,
    > I tried installing Win XP on a new hard drive but it freezes when I
    > begin to enter the license code or shortly before. Tried using a
    > different video card, but it made no difference either. In Win 98,
    > only systray is clicked in the start program list and autoexec and
    > config sys are clean. Works fine in safe mode. Does this sound at
    > all familiar to anyone?

    Assuming you are talking about the machine locking in XP, I saw this once
    before. Boot to safe mode, go to device manager, Computer, and change the
    "driver" there from ACPI Uniprocessor PC to Standard PC.

    Reboot and you may have to go through a few reboots of "Found new
    hardware" while it detects all the stuff in your machine again, but
    otherwise you should be fine.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Dan

    G Smith Guest

    Sounds like a memory problem.

    G Smith, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Sounds like a good suggestion but, unfortunately, XP installation
    didn't get far enough to permit me to access safe mode. Once I get it
    installed I will be checking that setting, though.

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Dan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Dan <> wrote in news:3FE738F4.7070206
    @hfx.eastlink.ca:

    > Sounds like a good suggestion but, unfortunately, XP installation
    > didn't get far enough to permit me to access safe mode. Once I get it
    > installed I will be checking that setting, though.

    Start an install and when it says "Press F6 to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID
    drivers", and hit F5, which should let you set it to Standard PC before the
    install starts.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 22, 2003
  6. You can verify it is a memory problem by downloading memtest86.
    http://www.memtest86.com If you have a CD burner get the bootable ISO.

    Burn the CD, boot from it, then find something else to do for a few hours.
    I recommend Need for Speed Underground on the X-Box ..........

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Turns out that it is probably the motherboard. Someone suggested I
    look for bulging and leaking capacitors, and, sure enough, there are
    three of them. Apparently this can cause the kind of freeze problems
    I have been experiencing. Much appreciate all the well considered
    suggestions.

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 23, 2003