    apparently refuse deletion.

    Any ideas. Running an elderly portable with Windows Me.

    MTIA
    Tom Elllis, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Tom Elllis

    Peter Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a copy of Eudora 7.0.1.0 and (at times) have a problem
    > emptying mailboxes/transferring mail
    >
    > What is happening is that I wish to transfer an email to another
    > folder but it keeps re-appearing in its original location.
    >
    > On other occasions, mail I know has been sent appears in the outbox
    > with a red symbol with a white cross against it. I can trash these but
    > they apparently refuse deletion.
    >
    > Any ideas. Running an elderly portable with Windows Me.

    Eudora does do strange things at times. I've never seen this happen though.
    Try the site - but you'll have to be cunning with the search as some things
    are hard to find.

    http://eudora.com/techsupport/search.html/

    Peter.
    Peter, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Tom Elllis

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tom Elllis wrote:

    > I am running a copy of Eudora 7.0.1.0 and (at times) have a problem
    > emptying mailboxes/transferring mail
    >
    > What is happening is that I wish to transfer an email to another
    > folder but it keeps re-appearing in its original location.

    I think that Eudora databasing works similarly to other mail programs,
    except that it is more similar to OL Outlook in its storage strategy
    than to OE Outlook Express. Mail programs are prone to database
    corruption misbehaviors because of the 'dysfunctional configuration' of
    the db, and benefit from not 'abusing' the weaknesses of mail db/s.

    You don't want any folders, which are actually files with mail elements
    as parts of the file, to become too big and you don't want to neglect
    proper maintenance, which contributes to 'dead space' in the
    filefolders.

    So cleaning up is a matter of smoothing out the folder content sizes and
    compacting. When items are removed from a message db, they are only
    'concealed' not actually removed until the compacting part. Balance out
    folderfile sizes, compact periodically.

    > On other occasions, mail I know has been sent appears in the outbox
    > with a red symbol with a white cross against it. I can trash these
    > but they apparently refuse deletion.
    >
    > Any ideas. Running an elderly portable with Windows Me.

    Eudora's .pdf manual for Win 7.0 is no longer available, the site has
    7.1 http://eudora.com/techsupport/manuals.html/ Eudora's User Manual
    has been recognized with numerous awards.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Tom Elllis

    Tom Elllis Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Tom Elllis wrote:
    >
    >> I am running a copy of Eudora 7.0.1.0 and (at times) have a problem
    >> emptying mailboxes/transferring mail
    >>
    >> What is happening is that I wish to transfer an email to another
    >> folder but it keeps re-appearing in its original location.

    > I think that Eudora databasing works similarly to other mail programs,
    > except that it is more similar to OL Outlook in its storage strategy
    > than to OE Outlook Express. Mail programs are prone to database
    > corruption misbehaviors because of the 'dysfunctional configuration' of
    > the db, and benefit from not 'abusing' the weaknesses of mail db/s.
    >
    > You don't want any folders, which are actually files with mail elements
    > as parts of the file, to become too big and you don't want to neglect
    > proper maintenance, which contributes to 'dead space' in the
    > filefolders.
    >
    > So cleaning up is a matter of smoothing out the folder content sizes and
    > compacting. When items are removed from a message db, they are only
    > 'concealed' not actually removed until the compacting part. Balance out
    > folderfile sizes, compact periodically.
    >
    >> On other occasions, mail I know has been sent appears in the outbox
    >> with a red symbol with a white cross against it. I can trash these
    >> but they apparently refuse deletion.
    >>
    >> Any ideas. Running an elderly portable with Windows Me.

    > Eudora's .pdf manual for Win 7.0 is no longer available, the site has
    > 7.1 http://eudora.com/techsupport/manuals.html/ Eudora's User Manual
    > has been recognized with numerous awards.

    Cheers Mike and thanks for the pointer, Peter.
    Tom Elllis, Jan 17, 2007