Odd error message

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dannobyte, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. dannobyte

    dannobyte Guest

    A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
    when
    attempting to boot:

    "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is

    either not present or has an invalid version number:
    vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd

    Try running setup again"

    Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.

    Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
    everything
    worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
    however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.

    From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
    problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
    problem.

    Your comments would be appreciated.

    It has removed 7499 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    dannobyte, Jul 27, 2005

  2. dannobyte

    Captain Lon Guest

    a vxd file is a driver.

    try removing the USB card and see what happens.

    --
    Captain Lon

    A good sailor does not need good luck or a boat!

    Captain Lon, Jul 27, 2005

  3. dannobyte

    dannobyte Guest

    "dannobyte" <> wrote in message
    > A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
    > when
    > attempting to boot:
    >
    > "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is
    >
    > either not present or has an invalid version number:
    > vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd
    >
    > Try running setup again"
    >
    > Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.
    >
    > Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
    > everything
    > worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
    > however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.
    >
    > From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
    > problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
    > problem.

    I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
    over
    the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

    It has removed 7524 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

    dannobyte, Jul 27, 2005
  4. dannobyte

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jul 27, 2005
  5. On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:29:02 GMT, "dannobyte" <>
    wrote:

    >"dannobyte" <> wrote in message
    >> A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
    >> when
    >> attempting to boot:
    >>
    >> "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is
    >>
    >> either not present or has an invalid version number:
    >> vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd
    >>
    >> Try running setup again"
    >>
    >> Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.
    >>
    >> Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
    >> everything
    >> worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
    >> however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.
    >>
    >> From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
    >> problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
    >> problem.

    >I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
    >over
    >the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

    Yes...that is usually the way I would start to resolve a setup issue,
    being a stubborn throwback to my early training, where data is sacred.
    :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 27, 2005
  6. dannobyte

    JohnO Guest

    > I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
    > over
    > the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

    Try this first...use the startup menu to get to a DOS prompt, and run
    scanreg.exe. Load one of the registry backups (should be five to choose
    from) that was created before the installation of the USB card. If that lets
    98 fire up, immediately load Adaware and Spybot, and a virus scanner, and
    scan the hell out of the entire machine.

    Does the user use any IM or Kazaa???? On 98 those are deathtraps...

    -John O

    JohnO, Jul 28, 2005