    letters/numbers that look like some sort of coded message - what is this?
    Why is it jumbled and how do I decode it?

    (remove 'z's from my email)
    John, Jul 2, 2003

  2. John wrote:

    > Quite often I get 'junk' mail advertising web sites and there is a line of
    > letters/numbers that look like some sort of coded message - what is this?
    > Why is it jumbled and how do I decode it?

    The short answer: it's an attempt to make it not look like spam.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/boulder
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2003

  3. John

    paul s Guest

    John wrote:

    > Quite often I get 'junk' mail advertising web sites and there is a line of
    > letters/numbers that look like some sort of coded message - what is this?
    > Why is it jumbled and how do I decode it?

    Its an attempt to thwart the cancelbots. The characters are purely random to
    make the bulk emailed spam look like individual messages.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 2, 2003