    currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
    restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?

    anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

    jils, Oct 25, 2006

  2. jils

    Guest

    jils <> wrote:

    >a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
    >saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
    >finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
    >windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
    >help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
    >three search windows simply disappeared!

    In windows search for: *.DOC
    when done click on date modified. look for the time he "saved" it.
    ( * = Shift-8)

    --
    www.duggmirror.com/space/Space_Shuttle_Launch_as_seen_from_ISS_220_miles_up/

    , Oct 25, 2006

  3. jils

    jils Guest

    thanks, i did all that. i searched for .doc and i searched all files
    containing strings of text. i had no luck. i was interested to know if
    anyone else has seen this type of behaviour in win xp.

    jils, Oct 25, 2006
  4. jils

    old man Guest

    usually caused by user error

    old man, Oct 25, 2006
  5. jils

    jils Guest

    yeah, i thought the user had erred, until i watched my searches misappear!

    jils, Oct 25, 2006
  6. jils

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:36:39 +1000, jils Has Frothed:

    > a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though saved
    > during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for finding
    > lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search windows
    > open, each looking for a different string of text that might help, and
    > much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the three search
    > windows simply disappeared!
    >
    > NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested scanning
    > with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer prefers
    > pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running currently)
    > and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system restore, that won't
    > bring back a saved document though, will it?
    >
    > anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

    Is the machine on a network?

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 25, 2006
  7. jils

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-25, jils <> wrote:
    > a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
    > saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
    > finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
    > windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
    > help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
    > three search windows simply disappeared!
    >
    > NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
    > scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
    > prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
    > currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
    > restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?
    >
    > anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

    Could be a hardware problem; RAM and HD would be worth checking.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 25, 2006
  8. jils

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:07:53 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-10-25, jils <> wrote:
    >> a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
    >> saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
    >> finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
    >> windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
    >> help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
    >> three search windows simply disappeared!
    >>
    >> NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
    >> scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
    >> prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
    >> currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
    >> restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?
    >>
    >> anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

    >Could be a hardware problem; RAM and HD would be worth checking.

    Go to Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter.

    In the CMD windows, type CHKDSK C: /f and press Enter.

    Answer Y to the question.

    Restart the PC.

    After getting back to normal windows, look in My Computer, C: drive,
    for any FOUND000 etc folders. Could possibly be in there.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Oct 26, 2006
  9. jils

    jils Guest

    it's networked with two others in the same room. where were you going
    with this idea ...

    jils, Oct 27, 2006
  10. jils

    jils Guest