    The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver specified."

    Any suggestions?
    , Feb 8, 2010

  2. Steve Foster Guest

    wrote:

    >Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP x64.
    >
    >Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
    >
    >My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
    >successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it fails.

    There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
    with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
    are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).

    >The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
    >specified."
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
    Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
    sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
    Tools).

    And see which set the application sees.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Steve Foster, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Guest

    In <>, "Steve Foster" <> writes:
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP x64.
    >>
    >>Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
    >>
    >>My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
    >>successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it fails.

    >There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
    >with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
    >are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).
    >

    >>The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
    >>specified."
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?

    >I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
    >Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
    >sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
    >Tools).
    >
    >And see which set the application sees.

    Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
    administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
    messages.
    , Feb 9, 2010
  4. Steve Foster Guest

    wrote:

    >In <>, "Steve Foster"
    ><> writes:
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP
    >>>x64.
    >>>
    >>>Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
    >>>
    >>>My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
    >>>successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it
    >>>fails.

    >>There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
    >>with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
    >>are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).
    >>

    >>>The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
    >>>specified."
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?

    >>I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
    >>Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
    >>sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
    >>Tools).
    >>
    >>And see which set the application sees.

    >Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
    >administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
    >messages.

    Try creating them as System DSNs, not User DSNs.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Steve Foster, Feb 9, 2010
  5. Guest

    In <>, "Steve Foster" <> writes:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In <>, "Steve Foster"
    >><> writes:

    >>>There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
    >>>with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
    >>>are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).

    >>>I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
    >>>Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
    >>>sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
    >>>Tools).
    >>>
    >>>And see which set the application sees.

    >>Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
    >>administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
    >>messages.

    >Try creating them as System DSNs, not User DSNs.

    The continuation of the app install time message "Data source name not found ...
    explained how to manually administer a System DSN by Adding SQL server, which is
    what I have been doing with both 32 and 64 bit administrators.

    At run time the app gives messages about app.mdb drivers not loaded but I
    suppose that is a consequence of the install failure. It is only the database
    functions of the app that don't work, but I have another app whose database
    functions don't work but I have seen no error messages from it. I did an
    upgrade install of Windows and that fixed one small problem but not this one .
    , Feb 9, 2010
  6. <> wrote in message

    > Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP
    > x64.
    >
    > Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
    >
    > My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
    > successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it
    > fails.
    >
    > The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
    > specified."
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Try posting to an Access forum or newsgroup? (E.g. assuming that is what
    ..mdb implies.)

    Otherwise it could be security/obscurity, so I would run ProcMon for clues.
    ProcMon would be good to help you see if there are any other diagnostics
    that you are overlooking too (e.g. as seen by traces of file writes) and you
    might even be able to infer additional diagnostics that you could enable
    using it but it would probably be more efficient to be guided by someone who
    was more familiar with that particular database technology (which I suspect
    you are less likely to find here. <w>)

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---