ODBC driver problems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Grant, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Grant

    Grant Guest

    Hello,

    We recently setup our first Windows XP Pro x64 workstation. We have an
    application that uses a 32-bit database driver and DSN's. If I try to
    configure the DSN in the Data Source Administrator, the only driver
    available is SQL Server (not even Access Jet drivers show up). If our
    application tries to create the DSN's programmically, it generates an error.

    I know the 32-bit database drivers work since I can connect to the database
    using Excel, VBA, and a connection string that doesn't require a DSN.
    Unfortunately our software wasn't made by us and it does require a DSN.

    Can someone tell me how to create a DSN in x64 using 32-bit drivers?

    Many Thanks!

    Grant

    PS
    Our database is a Pervasive v8 database - and the people on the Pervasive
    forums had little information that helped...

    Grant, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Grant

    DKI Guest

    32bit drivers will not work on Windows XP X64.

    You need a 64bit driver.

    DKI, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Grant

    DKI Guest

    Also contact the manufucture of the software to see if there are any plans
    to support there products Windows XP X64.

    DKI, Jul 14, 2005
  4. You need native 62-bit drivers for ODBC, you could check the
    microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr group and post a query about this,
    maybe they will give you some information about when support is coming.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  5. Grant

    WM Guest

    62-bit?

    ;-)

    WM, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Oops, I meant 64-bit.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  7. Grant

    Grant Guest

    The 32-bit Pervasive database drivers do indeed work on x64, unfortunately I
    just can't create System DSN's with them.

    I'm working with our software vendor to create a connection string that
    doesn't use a DSN so hopefully that will resolve the situation. Thanks for
    the tip on microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr... if the vendor can't
    deliver then I'll see if we can figure out a work-around there.

    Cheers!

    Grant

    Grant, Jul 16, 2005
  8. You are welcome, I hope everything works out ok.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  9. Grant

    Grant Guest

    I just wanted to follow up on my original post to the benefit of the news
    group. Here is what I've found out about configuring 32-bit ODBC System
    DSN's:

    1) Many 32-bit database drivers DO WORK on x64.
    2) To create DSN's from 32-bit drivers (Pervasive, MS Access, etc), you need
    to run "c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe".

    HTH,

    Grant

    Grant, Jul 28, 2005