OCR Software - Cleaning Lines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JoeAley2003, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. JoeAley2003

    JoeAley2003 Guest

    Hi all.

    I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
    like this:

    --------------
    Name: My name
    --------------
    Address:
    --------------

    but the paper is not clean as it should be, so i need to remove this
    lines to do the OCR.

    To do so, i need a "dll" or "so" or function or anything that can
    incorporate to a VB software or could be translated to.

    The Confax - Toolkit 3.1 is a good example of what i need, but it's
    too expensive.

    Please, if you can help, post it.
    JoeAley2003, Sep 3, 2003

  2. JoeAley2003

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Your OCR software should be able to do that for you. What are you using?

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 3, 2003

  3. JoeAley2003

    Xalinai Guest

    On 2 Sep 2003 17:44:40 -0700, (JoeAley2003)
    wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >

    >I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
    >like this:
    >

    > --------------
    > Name: My name
    > --------------
    > Address:
    > --------------
    >

    >but the paper is not clean as it should be, so i need to remove this
    >lines to do the OCR.

    Good OCR software (Omnipage since Version 9, Finereader, Recognita,
    ...) uses the grey values of the whole paper, estimates the color of
    the page (some even gradients) to differentiate bad print and and wood
    splinters in the paper.

    Professional OCR software has forms management already.

    Are you goind to re-invent the wheel?

    Calculate the value of your work-time, buy something that does a
    decent job and get paid for doing the setup.

    Michael

    Xalinai, Sep 3, 2003
  4. JoeAley2003

    n8 skow Guest

    I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's writing
    his own...

    n8

    n8 skow, Sep 5, 2003
  5. n8 skow wrote:
    > I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's
    > writing his own...

    If his main problem is "Cleaning lines", then I don't think he will achieve
    his goal :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 6, 2003
  6. n8 skow wrote:
    > I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's
    > writing his own...

    The next question will probably be: "How do I typecast my TImage containing
    the scanned text to a string" :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 6, 2003
  7. JoeAley2003

    Mark Grebner Guest

    > I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
    > like this:

    > Name: My name

    . . .

    I'm not sure I understand the question, but SCANFIX may be an answer
    for you - it's a fairly sophisticated image fixer, specifically
    intended for pre-OCR use.
    Mark Grebner, Sep 7, 2003