    for OmniPage.

    TIA,
    Pete
    Pete Angelakos, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Pete Angelakos

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:34:32 -0400, "Pete Angelakos"
    <> wrote:

    >I am helping a friend purchase a scanner for OCR jobs.
    >Which is more important for accurate scans -- the scanner or the OCR
    >software?
    >I am currently considering scanners that are bundled with a limited version
    >for OmniPage.

    If the scanner sucks, no OCR software will be able to read it. So get
    a good scanner (they're cheap now), and then you can look for freeware
    or cheap OCR software.
    Evan Platt, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Pete Angelakos

    Supersano Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:57:01 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:34:32 -0400, "Pete Angelakos"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am helping a friend purchase a scanner for OCR jobs.
    >>Which is more important for accurate scans -- the scanner or the OCR
    >>software?
    >>I am currently considering scanners that are bundled with a limited version
    >>for OmniPage.

    > If the scanner sucks, no OCR software will be able to read it. So get
    > a good scanner (they're cheap now), and then you can look for freeware
    > or cheap OCR software.

    I'm not looking for one. I've got an old Visioneer 8700 usb that serves
    my sparse needs. Any brand you lean towards, maybe even specifically for
    photos? Or negatives or slides.
    Supersano, Apr 19, 2007
  4. Supersano wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:57:01 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:34:32 -0400, "Pete Angelakos"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am helping a friend purchase a scanner for OCR jobs. Which is more
    >>>important for accurate scans -- the scanner or the OCR software? I
    >>>am currently considering scanners that are bundled with a limited
    >>>version for OmniPage.

    >> If the scanner sucks, no OCR software will be able to read it. So get
    >> a good scanner (they're cheap now), and then you can look for
    >> freeware or cheap OCR software.

    > I'm not looking for one. I've got an old Visioneer 8700 usb that
    > serves my sparse needs. Any brand you lean towards, maybe even
    > specifically for photos? Or negatives or slides.

    Last month I picked up an Epson Perfection V100 Photo scanner for a
    hundred bucks US. It'll do 35mm slides and negs (it's not *limited* to
    film, of course) and the freebie version of an expensive OCR app that
    came with it is totally kick-ass.

    http://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/Perfectionv100Photo.htm

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Pete Angelakos

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-19, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Supersano wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:57:01 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> If the scanner sucks, no OCR software will be able to read it. So get
    >>> a good scanner (they're cheap now), and then you can look for
    >>> freeware or cheap OCR software.

    >> I'm not looking for one. I've got an old Visioneer 8700 usb that
    >> serves my sparse needs. Any brand you lean towards, maybe even
    >> specifically for photos? Or negatives or slides.

    > Last month I picked up an Epson Perfection V100 Photo scanner for a
    > hundred bucks US. It'll do 35mm slides and negs (it's not *limited* to
    > film, of course) and the freebie version of an expensive OCR app that
    > came with it is totally kick-ass.
    >
    > http://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/Perfectionv100Photo.htm

    And you don't have to use only the software that comes with the gadget;
    once you have an image file, you can use whatever software you like to
    manipulate it - that includes OCR programs. I think most scanners can
    produce images suitable for use with OCR programs.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 19, 2007
  6. Pete Angelakos

    John Corliss Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Supersano wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    Since the usual resolution needed for OCR starts at 300 dpi, most
    scanners will fit the bill. However, OCR program quality varies
    considerably. Also, the lite versions of commercial programs like
    Omnipage suck entirely. ESPECIALLY with Omnipage.

    The best program for OCR IME, is ABBYY FineReader, any version.

    >>> If the scanner sucks, no OCR software will be able to read it. So get
    >>> a good scanner (they're cheap now), and then you can look for
    >>> freeware or cheap OCR software.

    There isn't any freeware OCR program that's worth a shit. Period. If you
    don't believe me, try asking in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup. Or
    better yet, Google it:

    >> I'm not looking for one. I've got an old Visioneer 8700 usb that
    >> serves my sparse needs. Any brand you lean towards, maybe even
    >> specifically for photos? Or negatives or slides.

    After looking for years, I finally decided on a Canon 8400F. They've
    been superceded by the 8600F. Had to modify the film holder to scan 126,
    but that's not unusual.

    > Last month I picked up an Epson Perfection V100 Photo scanner for a
    > hundred bucks US. It'll do 35mm slides and negs (it's not *limited* to
    > film, of course) and the freebie version of an expensive OCR app that
    > came with it is totally kick-ass.
    >
    > http://www.epson.co.uk/products/scanners/Perfectionv100Photo.htm

    Epsons are good too.

    "_Killing all posts from Google Groups_"

    Great minds think alike.

    How ya been?

    --
    John Corliss BS206. I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Bear
    Bottoms and proteanthread.
    John Corliss, Apr 19, 2007
  7. John Corliss wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Supersano wrote:

    > Since the usual resolution needed for OCR starts at 300 dpi, most
    > scanners will fit the bill. However, OCR program quality varies
    > considerably. Also, the lite versions of commercial programs like
    > Omnipage suck entirely. ESPECIALLY with Omnipage.
    >
    > The best program for OCR IME, is ABBYY FineReader, any version.

    And in fact, that's the one that came with my Epson, that I mentioned
    without naming. Excellent stuff. The "Sprint" version, IIRC. I
    presume it's only advanced features that the pay versions add, because
    the functionality of the bundled version isn't impaired.

    > "_Killing all posts from Google Groups_"
    >
    > Great minds think alike.
    >
    > How ya been?

    Doin' okay, John. How's our invasion of Oregon coming along? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Pete Angelakos

    John Corliss Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Since the usual resolution needed for OCR starts at 300 dpi, most
    >> scanners will fit the bill. However, OCR program quality varies
    >> considerably. Also, the lite versions of commercial programs like
    >> Omnipage suck entirely. ESPECIALLY with Omnipage.
    >>
    >> The best program for OCR IME, is ABBYY FineReader, any version.

    > And in fact, that's the one that came with my Epson, that I mentioned
    > without naming. Excellent stuff. The "Sprint" version, IIRC. I
    > presume it's only advanced features that the pay versions add, because
    > the functionality of the bundled version isn't impaired.

    You must have used Wine then eh? At any rate, you missed out. Somebody
    in ACF pointed the group to a link where version 4, ABBBYY Finereader
    (full commercial version) was temporarily available for free.

    The site was in Italian, and although the site is still there:

    http://www.ilsoftware.it/articoli.asp?ID=2904

    the offer has expired and the download link redirects.

    >> "_Killing all posts from Google Groups_"
    >>
    >> Great minds think alike. How ya been?

    > Doin' okay, John. How's our invasion of Oregon coming along? :)

    We're no longer as concerned about you Californicans up here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication

    As the article says, it's the Messicans that are the true problem. 80)>

    People still mention you occasionally in ACF. A few have pointed out
    your signature site.

    When I first started filtering out all Google Groups posts, people
    feebly argued with me that it wasn't fair. Now, as time has gone by,
    more and more ACF regulars are coming over to our side.

    John Corliss, Apr 20, 2007
  9. John Corliss wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:

    >>> Since the usual resolution needed for OCR starts at 300 dpi, most
    >>> scanners will fit the bill. However, OCR program quality varies
    >>> considerably. Also, the lite versions of commercial programs like
    >>> Omnipage suck entirely. ESPECIALLY with Omnipage.
    >>>
    >>> The best program for OCR IME, is ABBYY FineReader, any version.

    >> And in fact, that's the one that came with my Epson, that I mentioned
    >> without naming. Excellent stuff. The "Sprint" version, IIRC. I
    >> presume it's only advanced features that the pay versions add, because
    >> the functionality of the bundled version isn't impaired.

    > You must have used Wine then eh? At any rate, you missed out. Somebody
    > in ACF pointed the group to a link where version 4, ABBBYY Finereader
    > (full commercial version) was temporarily available for free.

    My play system is a dual-boot with W2K and SuSE Linux; I have a newish
    laptop with XP. (My primary system is, of course straight Linux.)

    >>> Great minds think alike. How ya been?

    >> Doin' okay, John. How's our invasion of Oregon coming along? :)

    > We're no longer as concerned about you Californicans up here:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication
    >
    > As the article says, it's the Messicans that are the true problem. 80)>

    We never were as bad as you imagined. ;)

    > People still mention you occasionally in ACF. A few have pointed out
    > your signature site.
    >
    > When I first started filtering out all Google Groups posts, people
    > feebly argued with me that it wasn't fair. Now, as time has gone by,
    > more and more ACF regulars are coming over to our side.

    Fair? Do those people keep the doors to their houses open for just
    anyone to walk through and plop down on the couch or raid the fridge?
    It has nothing to do with "fair". I know of nobody's constitution that
    says every person must hang out with every other person that might knock
    on their door.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2007
  10. Pete Angelakos

    John Corliss Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> And in fact, that's the one that came with my Epson, that I mentioned
    >>> without naming. Excellent stuff. The "Sprint" version, IIRC. I
    >>> presume it's only advanced features that the pay versions add, because
    >>> the functionality of the bundled version isn't impaired.

    >> You must have used Wine then eh? At any rate, you missed out. Somebody
    >> in ACF pointed the group to a link where version 4, ABBBYY Finereader
    >> (full commercial version) was temporarily available for free.

    > My play system is a dual-boot with W2K and SuSE Linux; I have a newish
    > laptop with XP. (My primary system is, of course straight Linux.)

    >>> Doin' okay, John. How's our invasion of Oregon coming along? :)

    >> We're no longer as concerned about you Californicans up here:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication
    >>
    >> As the article says, it's the Messicans that are the true problem. 80)>

    > We never were as bad as you imagined. ;)
    >
    >> People still mention you occasionally in ACF. A few have pointed out
    >> your signature site.
    >>
    >> When I first started filtering out all Google Groups posts, people
    >> feebly argued with me that it wasn't fair. Now, as time has gone by,
    >> more and more ACF regulars are coming over to our side.

    > Fair? Do those people keep the doors to their houses open for just
    > anyone to walk through and plop down on the couch or raid the fridge?
    > It has nothing to do with "fair". I know of nobody's constitution that
    > says every person must hang out with every other person that might knock
    > on their door.

    Ainiduhtroot. It's amazing how many people confuse filtering the
    messages that *I* see on *MY* computer with filtering the messages that
    *EVERYBODY* sees posted to a group.

    As for home security, here's the sign that I have on my front door:
    NO SOLICITORS-
    Religious, sales, political, survey or ANY OTHER TYPE.

    Except for U.S. Postal Service mail, expected package deliveries or new
    telephone books from QWest representatives only, do not leave literature
    of any kind!

    Violators will be subject to prosecution for criminal trespass as
    defined under ORS 164.245.

    It's very effective. And the very few people who are either stupid
    enough or brave enough to ignore that sign are dealt with in a fashion
    which makes them never want to do so again.

    But we digress... 80)>

    John Corliss, Apr 21, 2007