    those in a "star" will be difficult to convert, but that's not a big deal.
    I'm mainly after the actual text.

    Freeware ok but I can spend a few bucks for a better program.
    richard, Dec 7, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > http://1littleworld.net/images/test001.jpg

    That is a very poor reproduction of something.

    > Tried a program called "Simple OCR" and got a bunch of garbage as a result.
    > I need a decent OCR that will convert the text on this image to actual
    > usable text.

    That is not going to happen. You need a much better image somehow. That
    looks like someone made a scan without sufficient resolution or image
    enhancement and then saved it as a lossy format such as .jpg.

    I would scan it at about 600 dpi in grayscale and then tweak its
    contrast and gamma with something like IrfanView so that everything
    looks as if it were sharp black and white. If you have access to the
    original, you should be able to make it look better than the original,
    sorta. At least the background will be white instead of beige and the
    print will be black instead of brownish and the characters will be
    something besides blurry.

    You might be able to do it at 300 dpi.

    > I know that the special items such as encirculated numbers and
    > those in a "star" will be difficult to convert, but that's not a big deal.
    > I'm mainly after the actual text.
    >
    > Freeware ok but I can spend a few bucks for a better program.

    Your software is the least of your problems. The problem is the image
    quality.

    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear -or- garbage in, garbage out.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:48:31 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> http://1littleworld.net/images/test001.jpg

    > That is a very poor reproduction of something.
    >
    >> Tried a program called "Simple OCR" and got a bunch of garbage as a result.
    >> I need a decent OCR that will convert the text on this image to actual
    >> usable text.

    > That is not going to happen. You need a much better image somehow. That
    > looks like someone made a scan without sufficient resolution or image
    > enhancement and then saved it as a lossy format such as .jpg.
    >
    > I would scan it at about 600 dpi in grayscale and then tweak its
    > contrast and gamma with something like IrfanView so that everything
    > looks as if it were sharp black and white. If you have access to the
    > original, you should be able to make it look better than the original,
    > sorta. At least the background will be white instead of beige and the
    > print will be black instead of brownish and the characters will be
    > something besides blurry.
    >
    > You might be able to do it at 300 dpi.
    >
    >> I know that the special items such as encirculated numbers and
    >> those in a "star" will be difficult to convert, but that's not a big deal.
    >> I'm mainly after the actual text.
    >>
    >> Freeware ok but I can spend a few bucks for a better program.

    > Your software is the least of your problems. The problem is the image
    > quality.
    >
    > You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear -or- garbage in, garbage out.

    I did not create the image to begin with. So I do not have the original
    scan to work with.
    My guess is these images were taken from old newspaper clippings.
    richard, Dec 7, 2010
  4. richard

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:
    > http://1littleworld.net/images/test001.jpg
    >
    > Tried a program called "Simple OCR" and got a bunch of garbage as a result.
    > I need a decent OCR that will convert the text on this image to actual
    > usable text. I know that the special items such as encirculated numbers and
    > those in a "star" will be difficult to convert, but that's not a big deal.
    > I'm mainly after the actual text.
    >
    > Freeware ok but I can spend a few bucks for a better program.

    If you can't read half of it, how's OCR suppose to?
    Jordon, Dec 7, 2010
  5. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> That is a very poor reproduction of something.

    > I did not create the image to begin with. So I do not have the original
    > scan to work with.
    > My guess is these images were taken from old newspaper clippings.

    Since you can read that with your eyeballs, then the fastest way to get
    the job done is eyeball input to keyboard output, using the human
    eyeball and brain to perform 'optical character recognition' and output
    that to a digital result with whatever application is the best.

    Probably do it with a table in a word processor or spreadsheet. It looks
    like there are about 9 or 10 fields per entry.

    Personally, I would try to improve the image a little, but you aren't
    going to be able to do very much. You can make it into black and white
    from grayscaling it and tweaking the contrast and gamma and you will be
    able to make it a little bit sharper, but not very much. You might
    enlarge the pic somewhat, but not too much because the lossy format will
    cause it to start 'coming to pieces' or pixelating,

    That will make it easier/faster to read with your eyeballs. There is no
    way that an OCR program is going to be able to speed that up for you,
    because it is going to have way too many errors. Converting it manually
    is more efficient because you will be going directly from recognizing
    the character/s to keyboarding them as opposed to trying to fix a great
    big mess from some OCR.

    On this kind of job, it is much much better to be a touch typist,
    because you can focus on the target rather than having to move your eyes
    to the keyboard a lot. The eyeball range should be from graphic to
    spreadsheet table and back to the graphic.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010
  6. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Probably do it with a table in a word processor or spreadsheet. It looks
    > like there are about 9 or 10 fields per entry.

    There is way more information for each entry than you need. (ISTM
    itseemstome) It doesn't matter what the song's ranking was that week or
    the week before or the week before that.

    Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    or maybe not the label.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010
  7. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    > or maybe not the label.

    El Paso Marty Robbins
    Why Frankie Avalon
    The Big Hurt Toni Fisher
    Running Bear Johnny Preston
    Way Down Yonder in New Orleans Freddie Carson
    Heartaches by the Number Guy Mitchell
    It's Time to Cry Paul Anka
    Among My Souvenirs Connie Francis
    Pretty Blue Eyes Steve Lawrence
    Go, Jimmy, Go Jimmy Clanton
    We Got Love Bobby Rydell
    Mack the Knife Bobby Darin
    The Village of St. Bernadette Andy Williams
    Uh! Oh! (Part II) The Nutty Squirrels
    Sandy Larry Hall
    Hound Dog Man Fabian
    Scarlet Ribbons The Browns
    Smokie (Part II) Bill Black's Combo
    Not One Minute More Della Reese
    Friendly World Fabian
    In The Mood Ernie Fields
    The Little Drummer Boy Harry Simeone Chorale
    You Got What It Takes Marv Johnson
    First Name Initial Annette Funicello
    So Many Ways Brook Benton
    Oh, Carol Neil Sedaka
    Be My Guest Fats Domino
    Teardrop Santo and Johnny
    Teen Angel Mark Dinning
    Come Into My Heart Lloyd Price
    Mr. Blue Fleetwoods
    I Wanna Be Loved Ricky Nelson
    Danny Boy Conway Twitty

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010
  8. richard

    Jordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    >> or maybe not the label.

    > El Paso Marty Robbins

    [snipped]

    I can not believe you did that.
    Jordon, Dec 7, 2010
  9. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jordon wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    >>> or maybe not the label.

    >> El Paso Marty Robbins

    > [snipped]
    >
    > I can not believe you did that.

    That's the old 'one thing leads to another' syndrome.

    At first I was just curious about how to tweak the graphics to make
    things more legible. Then when I realized that the quality of the
    original .jpg was just too poor to tweak up to clarity, it became a
    combination of my familiarity with the artists of 1959 hits and trying
    to read the blurry artist's names that I couldn't remember.

    Gradually it turned into one of those 'moods' like finishing some
    crossword puzzle that you've nearly completed. By the time I could read
    all of them, it only took a few minutes to type the result, which was
    the easiest part.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010
  10. richard

    Jordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:

    >>> El Paso Marty Robbins

    >> [snipped]
    >>
    >> I can not believe you did that.

    > That's the old 'one thing leads to another' syndrome.
    >
    > At first I was just curious about how to tweak the graphics to make
    > things more legible. Then when I realized that the quality of the
    > original .jpg was just too poor to tweak up to clarity, it became a
    > combination of my familiarity with the artists of 1959 hits and trying
    > to read the blurry artist's names that I couldn't remember.
    >
    > Gradually it turned into one of those 'moods' like finishing some
    > crossword puzzle that you've nearly completed. By the time I could read
    > all of them, it only took a few minutes to type the result, which was
    > the easiest part.

    I'll have to remember that when I get around to creating
    my thesis on quantum mechanics. Maybe a plea for help here
    would get you to write it for me?
    Jordon, Dec 7, 2010
  11. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Mike (OCR) Easter <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    >> or maybe not the label.

    >El Paso Marty Robbins
    >Why Frankie Avalon
    >The Big Hurt Toni Fisher
    >Running Bear Johnny Preston
    >Way Down Yonder in New Orleans Freddie Carson
    >Heartaches by the Number Guy Mitchell
    >It's Time to Cry Paul Anka
    >Among My Souvenirs Connie Francis
    >Pretty Blue Eyes Steve Lawrence
    >Go, Jimmy, Go Jimmy Clanton
    >We Got Love Bobby Rydell
    >Mack the Knife Bobby Darin
    >The Village of St. Bernadette Andy Williams
    >Uh! Oh! (Part II) The Nutty Squirrels
    >Sandy Larry Hall
    >Hound Dog Man Fabian
    >Scarlet Ribbons The Browns
    >Smokie (Part II) Bill Black's Combo
    >Not One Minute More Della Reese
    >Friendly World Fabian
    >In The Mood Ernie Fields
    >The Little Drummer Boy Harry Simeone Chorale
    >You Got What It Takes Marv Johnson
    >First Name Initial Annette Funicello
    >So Many Ways Brook Benton
    >Oh, Carol Neil Sedaka
    >Be My Guest Fats Domino
    >Teardrop Santo and Johnny
    >Teen Angel Mark Dinning
    >Come Into My Heart Lloyd Price
    >Mr. Blue Fleetwoods
    >I Wanna Be Loved Ricky Nelson
    >Danny Boy Conway Twitty

    I think richard owes you a beer or seven.

    As for me... Santo and Johnny, Fabian (twice?), Annette Funicello, Bobby
    Rydell...

    Mike "where are the WMCA Good Guys when you need them?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Dec 7, 2010
  12. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jordon wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Jordon wrote:

    >>> I can not believe you did that.

    >> That's the old 'one thing leads to another' syndrome.

    > I'll have to remember that when I get around to creating
    > my thesis on quantum mechanics. Maybe a plea for help here
    > would get you to write it for me?

    I'm a big fan of (some say speculative) theories of Randall Mills and
    Blacklight Power -- so if your quantum mechanics likes the hydrogen atom
    energy states and hydrino theory, I'm your man.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 7, 2010
  13. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-12-07, richard <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:48:31 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> http://1littleworld.net/images/test001.jpg

    >> That is a very poor reproduction of something.
    >>
    >>> Tried a program called "Simple OCR" and got a bunch of garbage as a result.
    >>> I need a decent OCR that will convert the text on this image to actual
    >>> usable text.

    >> That is not going to happen. You need a much better image somehow. That
    >> looks like someone made a scan without sufficient resolution or image
    >> enhancement and then saved it as a lossy format such as .jpg.

    [...]

    >> Your software is the least of your problems. The problem is the image
    >> quality.
    >>
    >> You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear -or- garbage in, garbage out.

    > I did not create the image to begin with. So I do not have the original
    > scan to work with.
    > My guess is these images were taken from old newspaper clippings.

    Or a poster from a record shop, and probably a hand-held photo from a
    mobile phone or basic digital compact. The low resolution merely makes it
    harder to tell whether the rest of the blur is due mostly to camera-shake
    or more to not being in focus. The text is actually clearer in some
    places if you 'zoom out' in your browser or image display program.

    I agree with those who say it'll be quickest to transcribe by hand.

    Ah, the good old days! <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3JB51NH_M>
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrN2DPN6La8> Crank that phonograph again!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 8, 2010
  14. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:17:35 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Actually all you need is the name of the song and the artist and maybe
    >> or maybe not the label.

    > El Paso Marty Robbins
    > Why Frankie Avalon
    > The Big Hurt Toni Fisher
    > Running Bear Johnny Preston
    > Way Down Yonder in New Orleans Freddie Carson
    > Heartaches by the Number Guy Mitchell
    > It's Time to Cry Paul Anka
    > Among My Souvenirs Connie Francis
    > Pretty Blue Eyes Steve Lawrence
    > Go, Jimmy, Go Jimmy Clanton
    > We Got Love Bobby Rydell
    > Mack the Knife Bobby Darin
    > The Village of St. Bernadette Andy Williams
    > Uh! Oh! (Part II) The Nutty Squirrels
    > Sandy Larry Hall
    > Hound Dog Man Fabian
    > Scarlet Ribbons The Browns
    > Smokie (Part II) Bill Black's Combo
    > Not One Minute More Della Reese
    > Friendly World Fabian
    > In The Mood Ernie Fields
    > The Little Drummer Boy Harry Simeone Chorale
    > You Got What It Takes Marv Johnson
    > First Name Initial Annette Funicello
    > So Many Ways Brook Benton
    > Oh, Carol Neil Sedaka
    > Be My Guest Fats Domino
    > Teardrop Santo and Johnny
    > Teen Angel Mark Dinning
    > Come Into My Heart Lloyd Price
    > Mr. Blue Fleetwoods
    > I Wanna Be Loved Ricky Nelson
    > Danny Boy Conway Twitty

    Ahh gee tanks smart boy.
    Now try doing the same thing 100 * 53 times.
    I am slowly creating my own database which will then be converted to html.
    I did the same thing with the charts from cashbox magazine. But those files
    were in html format. For you legal eagles, I did have their permission to
    do so. As a matter of fact, Randy Price even made some suggestions.

    BTW, I did pay for the material so I am not stealing it.
    richard, Dec 8, 2010
  15. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:27:10 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Ahh gee tanks smart boy.
    > Now try doing the same thing 100 * 53 times.

    You're probably the most ungrateful **** I've ever had the misfortune to
    come across.

    Aardvark, Dec 8, 2010
  16. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote:

    What, no commas to separate artists from song? Are you that lazy? If you're
    going to do my work than do it right!

    Stupid jerk.

    ****, I left my hotel key in the room and the lady up front hates my guts. She
    got mad because I told her she better get satellite Internet Hughes Net or lose
    my business. Then I had to explain to the bitch that my IP was being shared and
    they better not look at my IP to see what stuff is on my IP.

    G. Morgan, Dec 8, 2010
  17. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:47:13 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 21:27:10 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ahh gee tanks smart boy.
    >>Now try doing the same thing 100 * 53 times.

    > What a cocksucking prick.
    >
    > Boy, did I call it...
    >
    > "I bet the prick doesn't even say thank you.
    >
    > Or, dipshit comes back and says "Here's pages 2-48. Get to work,
    > bitch."
    >
    > ****, at this rate bullis, no one will ever want to help you.
    >
    > Ever.
    >
    > Again.

    Take your meds, you'll feel better.

    He was being an asshole. Like you, he feels I'm just to damned stoopid to
    read the writing on the wall and do it myself.
    I already did one similar project that was based on html pages that already
    existed. Trying to do the same thing and copying the information from an
    image is just a pure PITA.

    Now when he comes around with the entire year long's worth of information
    copied as I want, then I will thank him.
    That should take about a month.
    richard, Dec 8, 2010
  18. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:48:51 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >
    > What, no commas to separate artists from song? Are you that lazy? If you're
    > going to do my work than do it right!
    >
    > Stupid jerk.
    >
    > ****, I left my hotel key in the room and the lady up front hates my guts. She
    > got mad because I told her she better get satellite Internet Hughes Net or lose
    > my business. Then I had to explain to the bitch that my IP was being shared and
    > they better not look at my IP to see what stuff is on my IP.

    You funny.
    Me have viagra and bleach for you to take.
    Take two each you get smarter real quick.
    richard, Dec 8, 2010
  19. richard

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:48:51 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >>
    >> What, no commas to separate artists from song? Are you that lazy? If you're
    >> going to do my work than do it right!
    >>
    >> Stupid jerk.
    >>
    >> ****, I left my hotel key in the room and the lady up front hates my guts. She
    >> got mad because I told her she better get satellite Internet Hughes Net or lose
    >> my business. Then I had to explain to the bitch that my IP was being shared and
    >> they better not look at my IP to see what stuff is on my IP.
    >>

    >You funny.
    >Me have viagra and bleach for you to take.
    >Take two each you get smarter real quick.

    TYVM !!
    G. Morgan, Dec 8, 2010
  20. richard

    alan Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:47:13 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 21:27:10 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ahh gee tanks smart boy.
    >>>Now try doing the same thing 100 * 53 times.

    >> What a cocksucking prick.
    >>
    >> Boy, did I call it...
    >>
    >> "I bet the prick doesn't even say thank you.
    >>
    >> Or, dipshit comes back and says "Here's pages 2-48. Get to work,
    >> bitch."
    >>
    >> ****, at this rate bullis, no one will ever want to help you.
    >>
    >> Ever.
    >>
    >> Again.

    > Take your meds, you'll feel better.
    >
    > He was being an asshole. Like you, he feels I'm just to damned stoopid to
    > read the writing on the wall and do it myself.
    > I already did one similar project that was based on html pages that
    > already
    > existed. Trying to do the same thing and copying the information from an
    > image is just a pure PITA.
    >
    > Now when he comes around with the entire year long's worth of information
    > copied as I want, then I will thank him.
    > That should take about a month.

    You're not only incredibly stupid, but you've got to be one of the most
    ungrateful sons of bitches it's ever been my misfortune to encounter.

    He gives you some help with an admittedly PITA project of yours, and you
    reward him by calling him an asshole??!?? You are fuckin unbelievable . . .
    alan, Dec 8, 2010