    then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
    readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
    Ed

    Ed Kearns, May 24, 2004

  2. Ed Kearns

    orion Guest

    "Ed Kearns" <> wrote in message
    news:BCD7D226.98D3%...
    > I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
    > needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

    read
    > readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

    text,
    > then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
    > readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
    > Ed

    Just a guess , I don't know for sure, but isn't OCR software critical on DPI
    and the images needs to be just black or white ie 2bits, so I think you'll
    need a bit of playing around in Paintshop Pro or other iamge editor...

    orion, May 24, 2004

  3. Ed Kearns

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ed Kearns wrote:

    > I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
    > needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are read
    > readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input text,
    > then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
    > readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
    > Ed

    Perhaps the problem is the 1 bit TIFF format. It will make a larger
    file, but try using the normal TIFF format. That's what I have done,
    and it works fine with an old copy of Textbridge Pro.

    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2004
  4. Ed Kearns

    Ron Hunter Guest

    orion wrote:

    > "Ed Kearns" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
    >>needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

    > read
    >
    >>readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

    > text,
    >
    >>then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
    >>readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
    >>Ed
    >>

    > Just a guess , I don't know for sure, but isn't OCR software critical on DPI
    > and the images needs to be just black or white ie 2bits, so I think you'll
    > need a bit of playing around in Paintshop Pro or other iamge editor...

    NOT. Omnipage will handle text conversion on pages with background
    patterns, colors, and other distractions.

    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2004
  5. "Ed Kearns" <> wrote in message
    > I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
    > needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

    read
    > readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

    text,
    > then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
    > readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
    > Ed

    I had some tricky OCR jpbs to do, so I just upgraded to Readiris Pro 9. It
    wants 300 dpi input, but isn't fussy about color vs greyscale. You can try
    it out by downloading the demo of the Mac version at
    http://www.irislink.com/opt/uk/products/readiris/mac/index.html. The price
    is quite reasonable for what it does, and by shopping around I found a $30
    rebate.

    Marvin Margoshes, May 25, 2004