    Thanks for your answers.

    --
    alan

    *alan*, Sep 2, 2007

  2. *alan*

    Mike Easter Guest

    *alan* wrote:
    > Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
    > connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the
    > connection; for other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates,
    > etc) I have to first manually make the DSL connection.
    >
    > However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after
    > having turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll
    > come back to find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior
    > is apparent, and both up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is
    > clean.
    >
    > Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned
    > about?

    My first theory would be that it is just a glitch. My second theory
    would be that you have a trojan installed which needs to use the
    connectivity to send some spam or some probes, so it hooks up.

    Negative AVG & SpyBot isn't important information to contradict the 2nd
    theory.

    The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
    proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
    system.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2007

  3. *alan*

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0700, "*alan*" <>
    wrote:

    >Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
    >connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the connection; for
    >other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates, etc) I have to first
    >manually make the DSL connection.
    >
    >However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after having
    >turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll come back to
    >find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior is apparent, and both
    >up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is clean.
    >
    >Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned about?

    So I'm guessing you have a non always on DSL - PPPOE?

    Could be any of a hundred different things - Time sync, Automatic
    Updates, etc.

    Evan Platt, Sep 2, 2007
  4. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > *alan* wrote:
    >> Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
    >> connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the
    >> connection; for other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates,
    >> etc) I have to first manually make the DSL connection.
    >>
    >> However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after
    >> having turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll
    >> come back to find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior
    >> is apparent, and both up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is
    >> clean.
    >>
    >> Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned
    >> about?

    > My first theory would be that it is just a glitch. My second theory
    > would be that you have a trojan installed which needs to use the
    > connectivity to send some spam or some probes, so it hooks up.
    >
    > Negative AVG & SpyBot isn't important information to contradict the 2nd
    > theory.
    >
    > The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
    > proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
    > system.

    I'd certainly rather go with the "glitch" theory, and you've made me a
    little less anxious about it by letting me know that my IP isn't on any
    known trojan list. I'm thinking, too, that the sporadic and infrequent
    occurrence would argue against trojan connection --- wouldn't a trojan be
    connecting a lot more frequently and regularly? Or is that a false
    assumption?
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Sep 2, 2007
  5. *alan*

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:05:01 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >The goodnews is that your IP isn't currently listed in any known
    >proxytrojan spamsource databases or DShield's amassed intrusion detector
    >system.

    Well, the OP is on a PPPoE connection, so his IP could change ..
    now... tomorrow... a week, who knows. :)

    Evan Platt, Sep 2, 2007
  6. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0700, "*alan*" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Using XP Pro SP2. I do *not* have the system set up to make a DSL
    >>connection upon startup. Opening Firefox or OE will open the connection;
    >>for
    >>other programs (WinMX, emule, spybot and AVG updates, etc) I have to first
    >>manually make the DSL connection.
    >>
    >>However, once in a great while --- maybe every 2-3 months --- after having
    >>turned my computer on and gone to make my morning coffee, I'll come back
    >>find that DSL is connected. No other strange behavior is apparent, and
    >>both
    >>up-to-date SpyBot and AVG tell me my system is clean.
    >>
    >>Any ideas as to why this occurs? Is it something to be concerned about?

    > So I'm guessing you have a non always on DSL - PPPOE?
    >
    > Could be any of a hundred different things - Time sync, Automatic
    > Updates, etc.

    Sorry --- I'm not at all computer-savvy. I have no idea what you mean by "a
    non always on DSL - PPPOE", and don't know how to find out if I do have it.
    I either manually connect or get automatically connected when I use certain
    programs. The DSL modem is always on, though, if that's what you mean.

    These auto-initiated connections are much less frequent (every 2-3 months)
    than Time Sync, and they don't coincide with automatic updates (which is set
    for notify only), so maybe one of 98 different things . . . .?
    --
    alan

    *alan*, Sep 2, 2007
  7. *alan*

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:41:26 -0700, "*alan*" <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry --- I'm not at all computer-savvy. I have no idea what you mean by "a
    >non always on DSL - PPPOE", and don't know how to find out if I do have it.
    >I either manually connect or get automatically connected when I use certain
    >programs. The DSL modem is always on, though, if that's what you mean.
    >
    >These auto-initiated connections are much less frequent (every 2-3 months)
    >than Time Sync, and they don't coincide with automatic updates (which is set
    >for notify only), so maybe one of 98 different things . . . .?

    If you have to do something to connect to the internet, it's not
    "Always On". It sounds like it's likely PPPoE.

    So.. As I said, could be hundreds of different things. A program you
    install could be 'phoning home' to check for updates. Even if the
    program isn't running so to speak, the program could be running in the
    background.

    Evan Platt, Sep 2, 2007
  8. *alan*

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Even if the
    > program isn't running so to speak, the program could be running in the
    > background.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    You fucking idiot. Even if the program isn't running, it might be running
    in the background, eh?

    --
    Your mother was a total fiend who took pride in her adulterous demeanour up
    scaffolding.

    John Holmes, Sep 2, 2007