occasional interrupts & DPCs consume all CPU?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by anon, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
    Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
    interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start consuming
    every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%. I know
    it's the wireless connection, since disabling it stops the
    problem. Like i said, it's just 'sometimes' -- for
    instance, right now, everything's good. I can't pin it on
    some particular activity. I don't use the Belkin drivers,
    but the generic Atheros AR5005G driver v.4.2.0.82.

    i'm just wondering if this is a common issue? It's very
    irritating. Reality is that there are only a few chipset
    vendors, so many other brands would have the same chip &
    same base driver (i suspect most make almost no changes
    aside from cosmetic to the base reference driver). Or
    anyone know if this is specific to Atheros-based stuff and
    I'd be better off with Ralink-based stuff, Broadcom, etc.?

    anon, Jun 19, 2006

  2. "anon" wrote:
    > anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
    > Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
    > interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start consuming
    > every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

    Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Jun 19, 2006

  3. anon

    anon Guest

    >> anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
    >> Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
    >> interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start
    >> consuming
    >> every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

    > Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

    hi pavel, thanks for replying.

    it's on irq 9, which also has a PCI USB 2.0 card on it and
    the integrated Intel USB chipset support (v.1.1)... i
    thought all this was moot with ACPI stuff? i haven't
    dealt or cared with irqs in a long time! Right now, the
    only thing in the USB card is a flash drive, which i
    regularly add & remove. I don't really do anything with
    the UFD, it's only to use a program called Pass2Go that i
    load upon plugging in -- after that, no access. It's in
    now, & my CPU use is negligible. I actually experimented
    with this to see if it was the source of the issues, but
    there didn't seem to be any correlation.

    like i said, it's seemingly random, though i know it's
    really not & something is occurring, just not sure what..

    anon, Jun 20, 2006
  4. "anon" wrote:
    > >> anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
    > >> Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
    > >> interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start
    > >> consuming
    > >> every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

    > > Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

    > hi pavel, thanks for replying.
    >
    > it's on irq 9, which also has a PCI USB 2.0 card on it and
    > the integrated Intel USB chipset support (v.1.1)... i
    > thought all this was moot with ACPI stuff? i haven't
    > dealt or cared with irqs in a long time! Right now, the
    > only thing in the USB card is a flash drive, which i
    > regularly add & remove. I don't really do anything with
    > the UFD, it's only to use a program called Pass2Go that i
    > load upon plugging in -- after that, no access. It's in
    > now, & my CPU use is negligible. I actually experimented
    > with this to see if it was the source of the issues, but
    > there didn't seem to be any correlation.
    >
    > like i said, it's seemingly random, though i know it's
    > really not & something is occurring, just not sure what..

    Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going here. Since your mobo
    has usb 1.1, it should be not a new one... so maybe a BIOS
    update can help.
    Why you don't use the driver supplied by Belkin?
    Does it have same problem?

    Good luck,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Jun 22, 2006
  5. anon

    anon Guest

    > Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going here. Since your
    > mobo
    > has usb 1.1, it should be not a new one... so maybe a
    > BIOS
    > update can help.
    > Why you don't use the driver supplied by Belkin?
    > Does it have same problem?

    everything is current in that regard. Yeah, it's
    older -- it's one i built back in spring 2001.

    Belkin never bothers updating anything.... they generally
    ship whatever reference stuff came from the OEM at the
    time, even though it may be full of bugs. That's no
    different than most other vendors, but at least others
    will release updates as the OEM fixes things. Belkin do
    not do that, for whatever reason.

    It's interesting -- i've had two different revisions of
    this same card -- 1st one died & was replaced under
    warranty. It was a rev. 3001 of my model, which used a
    Ralink chipset, and newer drivers straight from Ralink
    were much more stable. Belkin replaced it with the rev.
    5000 model, which is Atheros-based. And the later Atheros
    drivers are much more stable. In neither case were the
    more stable drivers later made available for download on
    Belkin's site. I even use Linksys WRT54GX v.1.0 firmware
    on my Belkin Pre-N router because it's much more stable
    than that which came from Belkin!

    i suffered way too many disconnects with the supplied
    drivers. So i found much newer ones written by the
    chipset vendor and the stability issues went away. I
    actually haven't even had the interrupt issue hit in the
    last few days... like i said it's only sometimes. It
    comes & goes & i might go 2 weeks without it. But when it
    hits, it's a killer. Makes me want to toss the PC out the
    window.

    anon, Jun 22, 2006
  6. anon

    Pavel A. Guest

    Why to toss the whole PC out of window? throw away only the WLAN card.
    Not all hardware is born equal. There are reputable companies that stand behind
    their products, and others who don't. You, the customer, have right to decide.
    Now you know why it was so cheap at Belkin...

    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 23, 2006