Occasional blocking of access to the net.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Derrick Fawsitt, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Every so often I log on to find that although my D-Link router is
    connected, (or appears so from the little icon in the toolbar), I simply
    cannot get on to the net and consequently of course cannot receive my
    emails. I know its not my email programme which is Turnpike nor is it
    MailWasher because when I try to log on to Google from the desktop I am
    also denied access. To put it simply, I am blocked from getting on the
    net. I have had a technical check-up with my IT company who managed to
    "cure it" but are unable to tell me how they did it. Of course it has
    recurred several times since and caused me a lot of trouble and grief.
    One piece of information I can give to help with a solution is that I
    have a definite and guaranteed method of coming out of it, I simply pull
    out all the plugs in the wall, (i.e. switch off), all the current to
    "everything" and hey presto, when I plug in everything and restart my PC
    all is well. Re-booting my PC alone will not cure it, I have to turn off
    the current, leave it a few seconds and turn on again.

    Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to stop it happening?

    A few details, I use XP Home edition with Service Pack 2 installed and a
    Pentium 4 (2002) with 512 RAM. Any further details you need I will
    supply. I regularly run SpyBot, Lavasoft Ad-Aware and have AVG Free
    edition Anti-Virus etc. I use Disk Keeper and carry out all sorts of
    maintenance checks regularly. I would be so grateful for a solution to
    this tiresome problem, thank you.
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Derrick Fawsitt

    Brian Guest

    It may be caused by loss of the DHCP client. An easy fix for this is to
    enter your d-link router setup (192.168.0.1) and release then renew the DHCP
    client (under status tab). You can also try a repair on your network
    connection (control panel-network conections-local area network) right click
    , select properties and repair. If you have the Start menu setup to list
    control panel items then just right click local area network and repair.
    Hope this helps
    Brian, Jan 28, 2006

  3. In message <>, Brian
    <> writes
    >It may be caused by loss of the DHCP client. An easy fix for this is to
    >enter your d-link router setup (192.168.0.1) and release then renew the DHCP
    >client (under status tab). You can also try a repair on your network
    >connection (control panel-network conections-local area network) right click
    >, select properties and repair. If you have the Start menu setup to list
    >control panel items then just right click local area network and repair.
    >Hope this helps

    Thank you so much Brian, will do. It has been suggested by someone else
    as well so I am sure you have solved it, thank you again.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Jan 28, 2006