    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    riff Guest

    Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this site
    for more information and do your excercises
    cheers
    http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

    riff, Apr 28, 2004

  3. In article <c6nb4c$dtu2i$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> was seen to type:
    >Is there a doctor in the house?

    It's not me if there is :)

    >My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use each
    >day(note: I started at 8 :), and well, it's begining to concern me.
    >
    >Is this something I should be worried about?

    Yes. Or to rephrase ... "hell yes".

    >Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at work.

    Try using the other hand. It'll take you 4-6 weeks to forget you've
    changed ... and it'll be well worth it.
    Make sure you are sitting up straight too ... your head should be over
    your neck .. not flopping forward as it so often does when we get
    engrossed :)

    HTH

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 28, 2004
  4. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    In news:c6nb4c$dtu2i$-berlin.de,
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz <> expelled:
    > Is there a doctor in the house?
    >
    > My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use
    > each day(note: I started at 8 :), and well, it's begining to concern
    > me.
    >
    > Is this something I should be worried about?
    >
    > Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at
    > work.

    Worry big time Dave. This is how my wife's OOS started out and it's only
    ever got worse. Have a serious look at the 3M ergonomic mice at
    http://www.3m.com/cws/renmouse.html - they seem to help.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Apr 28, 2004
  5. riff wrote:
    > Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this site
    > for more information and do your excercises
    > cheers
    > http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

    Bugger... thats what I suspected.
    Thanks for the link.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2004
  6. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "riff" <> wrote in news:VCGjc.55$:

    > Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
    > site for more information and do your excercises
    > cheers
    > http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

    I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
    http://www.workrave.org/

    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 28, 2004
  7. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in

    > "riff" <> wrote in news:VCGjc.55$:
    >

    >> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
    >> site for more information and do your excercises
    >> cheers
    >> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html
    >>

    > I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
    > http://www.workrave.org/
    >
    > Ciao, Dave

    Hmm, has linux version too!
    Dave Taylor, Apr 28, 2004
  8. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Tim Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > riff wrote:
    >> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out
    >> this site for more information and do your excercises
    >> cheers
    >> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

    > Bugger... thats what I suspected.
    > Thanks for the link.

    http://www.catspaw.com/

    I use one of those, has helped a lot. Took about a month of using it each
    day for pain to go away, and now I only need to use it occasionally (every
    few weeks) as a top up when pain comes back.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
    > http://www.workrave.org/

    according to the site it runs on GNU/Linux too.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2004
  10. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:42:48 +1200, riff wrote:

    > Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
    > site for more information and do your excercises cheers
    > http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

    It's also important to keep in mind that nearly all the time the actual
    problem isn't carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis etc etc they are
    usually symptoms rather than causes. It is a complex issue, with many
    different types of problems and symptoms.

    Most often these symptoms manifest themselves due to inflammation and/or
    constriction of nerves further upstream in your neck or shoulders.

    People that just get treatment for carpal tunnel will get some temporary
    relief, but it will crop up again because it wasn't their carpal tunnel
    actually causing the problem.

    If it's early days for you, you can probably avoid further problems by
    improving your posture, not gripping the mouse as hard, relaxing your
    neck and shoulder muscles, not working as long hours, getting more
    exercise etc.

    If it's a bit more serious, getting massage therapy from someone who knows
    about this stuff could be needed. If the therapist wants to concentrate
    mostly on your shoulders and neck etc then they are probably on the right
    track. It could take many months to improve because nerves heal slower
    than most other tissues.

    Also, avoid surgery - it never seems to work long term.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 28, 2004
  11. AD. wrote:
    > It's also important to keep in mind that nearly all the time the actual
    > problem isn't carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis etc etc they are
    > usually symptoms rather than causes. It is a complex issue, with many
    > different types of problems and symptoms.

    indeed...

    > If it's early days for you, you can probably avoid further problems by
    > improving your posture, not gripping the mouse as hard, relaxing your
    > neck and shoulder muscles, not working as long hours, getting more
    > exercise etc.

    I've switched to using an ergo keyboard and using the mouse with the
    other hand for the moment, odd feeling, but not to bad(Im left handed
    anyway so Im not a complete retard at using it in my left).
    OSH ladies are coming to check out my workstation this afternoon, so
    yeah, hopefully they'll find something that I do wrong, and it'll sort
    it self out.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2004
  12. In article <c6p98r$ejn5u$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> was seen to type:
    >AD. wrote:
    >> It's also important to keep in mind that nearly all the time the actual
    >> problem isn't carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis etc etc they are
    >> usually symptoms rather than causes. It is a complex issue, with many
    >> different types of problems and symptoms.

    >indeed...
    >
    >> If it's early days for you, you can probably avoid further problems by
    >> improving your posture, not gripping the mouse as hard, relaxing your
    >> neck and shoulder muscles, not working as long hours, getting more
    >> exercise etc.

    >I've switched to using an ergo keyboard and using the mouse with the
    >other hand for the moment, odd feeling, but not to bad(Im left handed
    >anyway so Im not a complete retard at using it in my left).
    >OSH ladies are coming to check out my workstation this afternoon, so
    >yeah, hopefully they'll find something that I do wrong, and it'll sort
    >it self out.

    Chances are that you'll do everything right ... while they're watching
    :)
    Have them sneak up on you ... or try to remember to do all those "bad"
    things you do while they are there.

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 29, 2004
  13. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    In news:c6p98r$ejn5u$-berlin.de,
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz <> expelled:
    > I've switched to using an ergo keyboard and using the mouse with the
    > other hand for the moment, odd feeling, but not to bad(Im left handed
    > anyway so Im not a complete retard at using it in my left).
    > OSH ladies are coming to check out my workstation this afternoon, so
    > yeah, hopefully they'll find something that I do wrong, and it'll sort
    > it self out.

    Dave, do you wear glasses?

    EMB, Apr 29, 2004
  14. EMB wrote:
    > Dave, do you wear glasses?

    not yet... but in a month or so when I have the cash, yeah, I will.

    ummm why do you ask?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2004
  15. In article <c6pk54$c8c$>, "EMB" <> was seen to type:
    >In news:c6pgde$eji0b$-berlin.de,
    >T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz <> expelled:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> Dave, do you wear glasses?

    >> not yet... but in a month or so when I have the cash, yeah, I will.
    >>
    >> ummm why do you ask?

    >My (glasses wearing) father was getting severe OOS symptoms despite a lot of
    >effort being put into an ergonomically correct workstation. A process of
    >elimination found that the major cause of his problem was related to his
    >eyesight. His glasses did not give him optimal vision at PC working
    >distances - as a result he was holding his head and neck strangely in an
    >effort to try to focus better. The muscles involved in this were pressing
    >on nerves leading to the OOS symptoms. The solution was getting him a pair
    >of glasses that are optimised for vision at about 1 metre. After a couple
    >of months with the new glasses all his symptoms disappeared.

    Note also that bifocals and the 'smooth transition' version of
    bifocals (I roget the name :) ) can do this too ... particularly if
    you are just starting to use them. Only one "sweet spot".

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 29, 2004
  16. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Apr 29, 2004
  17. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Chances are that you'll do everything right ... while they're watching
    > :)
    > Have them sneak up on you ... or try to remember to do all those "bad"
    > things you do while they are there.

    It would be almost impossible for them to sneak up on me, I sit right by
    the always closed door, that is the only entrance into the office...
    they'de have to come in via the Air-con.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2004
  18. EMB wrote:
    >>>Dave, do you wear glasses?

    >>not yet... but in a month or so when I have the cash, yeah, I will.
    >>ummm why do you ask?

    > My (glasses wearing) father was getting severe OOS symptoms despite a lot of
    > effort being put into an ergonomically correct workstation. A process of
    > elimination found that the major cause of his problem was related to his
    > eyesight. His glasses did not give him optimal vision at PC working
    > distances - as a result he was holding his head and neck strangely in an
    > effort to try to focus better. The muscles involved in this were pressing
    > on nerves leading to the OOS symptoms. The solution was getting him a pair
    > of glasses that are optimised for vision at about 1 metre. After a couple
    > of months with the new glasses all his symptoms disappeared.

    heh, well, I'll tell you in about a month or so...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2004
  19. In article <c6plep$ek3v2$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> was seen to type:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Chances are that you'll do everything right ... while they're watching
    >> :)
    >> Have them sneak up on you ... or try to remember to do all those "bad"
    >> things you do while they are there.

    >It would be almost impossible for them to sneak up on me, I sit right by
    >the always closed door, that is the only entrance into the office...
    >they'de have to come in via the Air-con.

    LOL :) Never sit with your back to the door huh ? Very wise :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 29, 2004
  20. In article <c6pli1$ek3v2$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> was seen to type:

    >>>not yet... but in a month or so when I have the cash, yeah, I will.
    >>>ummm why do you ask?

    >> My (glasses wearing) father was getting severe OOS symptoms despite a lot of
    >> effort being put into an ergonomically correct workstation. A process of
    >> elimination found that the major cause of his problem was related to his
    >> eyesight. His glasses did not give him optimal vision at PC working
    >> distances - as a result he was holding his head and neck strangely in an
    >> effort to try to focus better. The muscles involved in this were pressing
    >> on nerves leading to the OOS symptoms. The solution was getting him a pair
    >> of glasses that are optimised for vision at about 1 metre. After a couple
    >> of months with the new glasses all his symptoms disappeared.

    >heh, well, I'll tell you in about a month or so...

    Glases sometimes stop the headaches too :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 29, 2004