Obtaining "hidden" images files on your PC. .... How to.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David_nj_7@mailbolt.com, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    The other day I found a whole bunch of thumbnail photos. These are
    images I once had but had deleted and I went into the trash/recycle bin
    of the image editing program and saw literally hundreds of these such
    photos.

    Now... I was unable to restore any of them to the point where I was
    able to do anything with them. All I was able to do is take a few
    screenshots of the images and try and work with the very limited file
    sizes and I was able to do a half-a**** job of enlargeing/enhancing
    them.

    My questions are as follows. These thumbnails that I found, what format
    would they be considered? I don't believe they are your standard jpg,
    gif, bmp etc... etc... and a search for the exact file names listed
    below the thumbnails produced nothing.

    I actually "explored" the directory of the image program looking
    perhaps for maybe some images in some funky format and all I was were
    all kinds of things such as DLLs, SBJ and ECF files.

    What format are these thumbnails usually stored in? Would I be able to
    somehow "extract" these little images into another program or is the
    best thing I can do is take a screenshot of them through the thumbnail
    interface of this particular program.

    So... is there a way to get to these thumbnails directly?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

    , Dec 2, 2006

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-02, <> wrote:
    > The other day I found a whole bunch of thumbnail photos. These are
    > images I once had but had deleted and I went into the trash/recycle bin
    > of the image editing program and saw literally hundreds of these such
    > photos.

    snip

    > So... is there a way to get to these thumbnails directly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You seem to be using Windows 98 - but which image editing program?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 2, 2006

  3. Guest

    Re: Obtaining "hidden" images files on your PC. .... How to.

    You seem to be using Windows 98 - but which image editing program?

    Thanks... Yes, Win98se. SNAPSHOT EXPRESS (By SIERRA). I don't
    believe it's even around anymore or supported.

    However... The main point of my post is that (supposedly) there are
    lots of "hidden" images on your PC, that are not of your typical file
    extension, such as jpg. gif bmp etc... etc...

    Sometimes.... these hidden images can even be in email programs. I
    was just wondering how one could somehow view/work with these hidden
    images. That is.... if it can even be done at all.

    Thanks

    D.

    , Dec 2, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >My questions are as follows. These thumbnails that I found, what format
    >would they be considered? I don't believe they are your standard jpg,
    >gif, bmp etc... etc... and a search for the exact file names listed
    >below the thumbnails produced nothing.

    Each program can create it's own format, I use ACDSee and it uses
    ImageDB.DDF as a filename, you take the DDF to http://filext.com/ and
    see what program is responsible.

    No file is hidden if your set up correctly, I forget Win98 but it's
    control panel / folder options, view and select or unselect anything
    that hides files - or close.

    --
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148900

    , Dec 2, 2006
  5. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-02, <> wrote:
    > On 2006-12-02, <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> You seem to be using Windows 98 - but which image editing program?

    > Thanks... Yes, Win98se. SNAPSHOT EXPRESS (By SIERRA). I don't
    > believe it's even around anymore or supported.

    I've certainly never heard of it, but someone here might know it. Putting
    the name of the program into the 'subject' of a post, is the best way to
    get the attention of anyone who does know it. Newsgroups such as
    alt.photography may be better than general-subject groups such as this
    one.

    > However... The main point of my post is that (supposedly) there are
    > lots of "hidden" images on your PC, that are not of your typical file
    > extension, such as jpg. gif bmp etc... etc...
    >
    > Sometimes.... these hidden images can even be in email programs. I
    > was just wondering how one could somehow view/work with these hidden
    > images. That is.... if it can even be done at all.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > D.

    You seem to be able to 'view' them using the program that created them -
    ie 'Snapshot Express'. It's quite possible that they are stored in some
    proprietary format, perhaps combined into a single 'database' file of some
    sort to save disc space, which can only be displayed by that program. One
    way to test for that would be to 'right click' on one of the images and
    see if you get an 'open with ...' dialogue, or a menu with 'properties' as
    one of the options. If the thumbnails do exist as individual 'hidden'
    files, set your file management program to 'show hidden files' or some
    such term, which makes finding them a lot easier.

    Thumbnail images will contain very little of the original image
    information; you won't be able to 're-create' the deleted photographs,
    although some image processing programs may be able to enlarge the
    thumbnails into tolerable postcard-size pictures if you are prepared to
    put in some work yourself, and don't mind a 'soft', 'pixilated', or
    'posterish' effect with not much detail.

    If you get an email with an enclosed or attached image, then your email
    program probably files the enclosure or attachment in a particular
    'folder', which may be 'hidden' normally - just change the settings of
    your file manager to see them listed. There is really nothing 'hidden' on
    a computer disc.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 2, 2006
  6. ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > The other day I found a whole bunch of thumbnail photos. These are
    > images I once had but had deleted and I went into the trash/recycle
    > bin of the image editing program and saw literally hundreds of these
    > such photos.
    >
    > Now... I was unable to restore any of them to the point where I was
    > able to do anything with them. All I was able to do is take a few
    > screenshots of the images and try and work with the very limited file
    > sizes and I was able to do a half-a**** job of enlargeing/enhancing
    > them.
    >
    > My questions are as follows. These thumbnails that I found, what
    > format would they be considered? I don't believe they are your
    > standard jpg, gif, bmp etc... etc... and a search for the exact file
    > names listed below the thumbnails produced nothing.
    >
    > I actually "explored" the directory of the image program looking
    > perhaps for maybe some images in some funky format and all I was were
    > all kinds of things such as DLLs, SBJ and ECF files.
    >
    > What format are these thumbnails usually stored in? Would I be able to
    > somehow "extract" these little images into another program or is the
    > best thing I can do is take a screenshot of them through the thumbnail
    > interface of this particular program.
    >
    > So... is there a way to get to these thumbnails directly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > DAVID

    http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/dr.html

    http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/index.php/2006/03/02/free-tools-to-recover-lost-data/

    http://www.s2services.com/deleted.htm

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Dec 2, 2006
  7. Re: Obtaining "hidden" images files on your PC. .... How to.

    wrote in

    > You seem to be using Windows 98 - but which image editing
    > program?
    >
    > Thanks... Yes, Win98se. SNAPSHOT EXPRESS (By SIERRA). I don't
    > believe it's even around anymore or supported.
    >
    > However... The main point of my post is that (supposedly) there
    > are lots of "hidden" images on your PC, that are not of your
    > typical file extension, such as jpg. gif bmp etc... etc...

    Ithink you may be referring to the images that are in .dll files,
    executables, etc

    > Sometimes.... these hidden images can even be in email
    > programs. I was just wondering how one could somehow view/work
    > with these hidden images. That is.... if it can even be done
    > at all.

    Yes, these types of files can be worked with. Use an application such
    as ResHacker (Resource Hacker). You can view and edit bitmaps, icons,
    strings, etc., that are embedded in the program or dll. *Use caution
    when using this program.* Always work with a copy of the original
    program, or you could create more problems than you bargained for.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 3, 2006