Obsolete formats

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John Anderson, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?

    In audio, gone to the grave:
    2 track cartridges,
    4 track cartridges,
    quad track cartridges,
    lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    as well over the years.
    Reel to reel gone too, I think.

    In video, remember Betamax?
    VHS next to go to it's grave?

    In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    In any of it's many formats?
    3¼ to go next?
    Double density, high density,
    288 k floppies, what happened there?

    Motorized storage systems of all types
    may soon all be obsolete.
    What is modern about any recording system that
    uses a motor to spin it?

    CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?

    Does anyone remember cylinder type records?

    John Anderson

    John Anderson, Feb 15, 2008

  2. John Anderson

    Guest

    On Feb 15, 3:39 pm, "John Anderson" <> wrote:
    > Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?

    Just the ones that cannot possibly be improved upon.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Feb 15, 2008

  3. John Anderson

    Bill Guest

    John Anderson wrote:
    > Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >
    > In audio, gone to the grave:
    > 2 track cartridges,
    > 4 track cartridges,
    > quad track cartridges,
    > lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    > mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    > as well over the years.
    > Reel to reel gone too, I think.
    >

    > In video, remember Betamax?
    > VHS next to go to it's grave?
    >
    > In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    > In any of it's many formats?
    > 3¼ to go next?
    > Double density, high density,
    > 288 k floppies, what happened there?
    >
    > Motorized storage systems of all types
    > may soon all be obsolete.
    > What is modern about any recording system that
    > uses a motor to spin it?
    >
    > CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?
    >
    > Does anyone remember cylinder type records?
    >
    > John Anderson

    In video, there's also CED, Laserdisc, Cartrivision, and V-Cord II. In
    audio, the Elcaset and the Digital Compact Cassette barely made a splash.

    This home houses several dead formats---CED videodisc, Sony Betamax,
    quarter inch reel to reel audio, and the barely functional remains of an
    8-track recorder...not to mention the venerable LP, though esoteric
    support continues for it even today. And, good grief...how could I
    forget my still functioning Atari 130XE 8-bit computer, and 1050 disc
    drive? It still functions beautifully, though I'd hate to try and find a
    BBS that supports the external 300 baud modem that I still have for it. : D

    Bill, Feb 15, 2008
  4. John Anderson

    Netmask Guest

    "John Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >
    > In audio, gone to the grave:
    > 2 track cartridges,
    > 4 track cartridges,
    > quad track cartridges,
    > lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    > mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    > as well over the years.
    > Reel to reel gone too, I think.
    >

    > In video, remember Betamax?
    > VHS next to go to it's grave?
    >
    > In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    > In any of it's many formats?
    > 3¼ to go next?
    > Double density, high density,
    > 288 k floppies, what happened there?
    >
    > Motorized storage systems of all types
    > may soon all be obsolete.
    > What is modern about any recording system that
    > uses a motor to spin it?
    >
    > CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?
    >
    > Does anyone remember cylinder type records?
    >
    > John Anderson

    I have an Edison cylinder player that I have restored and modified to fit a
    Shure cartridge to connect the lofi to the hifi. I also have my beloved and
    working 32 bit Amiga computer that was multitasking way back in 1985.... but
    at the other end of the scale I have a great PVR called the Beyonwiz
    http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/main.html that just about does everything.

    Netmask, Feb 16, 2008
  5. John Anderson

    Nahlah Guest

    Lots are still used by audiophiles like Albums-turn tables are making a come
    back, Reel to Reel, DAT and 4 track recorders.
    They even use high end VCR's for audio recording because it's analogue and
    close if not better CD quality depending on the source

    Minidisc was a total failure.

    Nahlah, Feb 16, 2008
  6. "Bill" <> wrote in message news:SCotj.3095$...
    > John Anderson wrote:
    >> Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >>
    >> In audio, gone to the grave:
    >> 2 track cartridges,
    >> 4 track cartridges,
    >> quad track cartridges,
    >> lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    >> mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    >> as well over the years.
    >> Reel to reel gone too, I think.
    >>

    >> In video, remember Betamax?
    >> VHS next to go to it's grave?
    >>
    >> In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    >> In any of it's many formats?
    >> 3¼ to go next?
    >> Double density, high density,
    >> 288 k floppies, what happened there?
    >>
    >> Motorized storage systems of all types
    >> may soon all be obsolete.
    >> What is modern about any recording system that
    >> uses a motor to spin it?
    >>
    >> CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?
    >>
    >> Does anyone remember cylinder type records?
    >>
    >> John Anderson
    >>

    > In video, there's also CED, Laserdisc, Cartrivision, and V-Cord II. In
    > audio, the Elcaset and the Digital Compact Cassette barely made a splash.
    >
    > This home houses several dead formats---CED videodisc, Sony Betamax,
    > quarter inch reel to reel audio, and the barely functional remains of an
    > 8-track recorder...not to mention the venerable LP, though esoteric
    > support continues for it even today. And, good grief...how could I forget
    > my still functioning Atari 130XE 8-bit computer, and 1050 disc drive? It
    > still functions beautifully, though I'd hate to try and find a BBS that
    > supports the external 300 baud modem that I still have for it. : D

    I knew that I had forgotten some formats.
    My former boss sold Laserdisc, or tried to,
    eventually sent the one machine back.

    John Anderson, Feb 16, 2008
  7. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:39:00 -0600, "John Anderson" <>
    wrote:

    >Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >
    >In audio, gone to the grave:
    >2 track cartridges,
    >4 track cartridges,
    >quad track cartridges,
    >lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    >mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    >as well over the years.
    >Reel to reel gone too, I think.

    You're an idiot. You skipped ALL of the pressed vinyl formats, plus 78
    rpm, and wax drums. You skipped wire recording.

    "2 track cartridges"
    ARE still in use. They are called the "cassette tape". Reel-to-reel is
    also still in use.

    >In video, remember Betamax?
    >VHS next to go to it's grave?

    You're an idiot. Any dope with a search engine could do better than
    you. You were probably not even born when half the formats you spew
    about came out. Your stupidity factor is too high for you to have
    actually been here.

    >In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?

    What about 8" floppies, dumbass?

    >In any of it's many formats?

    You aren't telling anyone here that has any brains anything new. Do
    you feel better just spewing off bullshit? Does it make you feel manly?

    >3¼ to go next?

    Idiot! It is 5.25" and 3.5"

    >Double density, high density,

    You are triple density dumb, boy.

    Wrong! It was 2.88 MB, you stupid ****.

    >Motorized storage systems of all types
    >may soon all be obsolete.

    You're an idiot. Hard drives are going to be with use for many years
    to come.

    >What is modern about any recording system that
    >uses a motor to spin it?

    Just about every one of them, dumbfucktard. They are all modern. You,
    on the other hand, wouldn't know what modern was if it bit you in the
    ass.

    >CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?

    You're an idiot.

    >Does anyone remember cylinder type records?

    Folks likely know a hell of a lot more about it than you do.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 16, 2008
  8. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:46:07 -0500, Bill <> wrote:

    >And, good grief...how could I
    >forget my still functioning Atari 130XE 8-bit computer, and 1050 disc
    >drive? It still functions beautifully, though I'd hate to try and find a
    >BBS that supports the external 300 baud modem that I still have for it. : D

    All modems are backward bit rate compatible, and ANY ISP or BBS operator
    would handshake with it at 300 baud.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 16, 2008
  9. "ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:39:00 -0600, "John Anderson" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >>
    >>In audio, gone to the grave:
    >>2 track cartridges,
    >>4 track cartridges,
    >>quad track cartridges,
    >>lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    >>mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    >>as well over the years.
    >>Reel to reel gone too, I think.

    > You're an idiot. You skipped ALL of the pressed vinyl formats, plus 78
    > rpm, and wax drums. You skipped wire recording.
    >
    > "2 track cartridges"
    > ARE still in use. They are called the "cassette tape". Reel-to-reel is
    > also still in use.
    >>

    >>In video, remember Betamax?
    >>VHS next to go to it's grave?

    > You're an idiot. Any dope with a search engine could do better than
    > you. You were probably not even born when half the formats you spew
    > about came out. Your stupidity factor is too high for you to have
    > actually been here.
    >

    >>In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?

    > What about 8" floppies, dumbass?
    >
    >>In any of it's many formats?

    > You aren't telling anyone here that has any brains anything new. Do
    > you feel better just spewing off bullshit? Does it make you feel manly?
    >
    >>3¼ to go next?

    > Idiot! It is 5.25" and 3.5"
    >
    >>Double density, high density,

    > You are triple density dumb, boy.
    >
    >>288 k floppies, what happened there?

    > Wrong! It was 2.88 MB, you stupid ****.
    >
    >>Motorized storage systems of all types
    >>may soon all be obsolete.

    > You're an idiot. Hard drives are going to be with use for many years
    > to come.
    >
    >>What is modern about any recording system that
    >>uses a motor to spin it?

    > Just about every one of them, dumbfucktard. They are all modern. You,
    > on the other hand, wouldn't know what modern was if it bit you in the
    > ass.
    >
    >>CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?

    > You're an idiot.
    >
    >>Does anyone remember cylinder type records?

    > Folks likely know a hell of a lot more about it than you do.

    No use having a discussion with you, you are merely using usenet as a
    vehicle to insult people!

    John Anderson, Feb 16, 2008
  10. John Anderson

    Allen Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    Gibberish proving his own idiocy)
    That's the last post I will see from you. Why you hadn't already made it
    to my killfile is a mystery, but that is corrected as of now.
    Incidentally, you should change part of your sig to BORING instead of BORED.
    Allen

    Allen, Feb 16, 2008
  11. John Anderson

    Jim Reid Guest

    I just hooked up my laserdisc player to my 50 inch HD set. Looks
    pretty good and I have a lot of discs that haven't yet made it to DVD.

    Jim Reid, Feb 16, 2008
  12. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:18:43 -0800 (PST), Jim Reid <>
    wrote:

    >I just hooked up my laserdisc player to my 50 inch HD set. Looks
    >pretty good and I have a lot of discs that haven't yet made it to DVD.

    I too have some laserdisks that I doubt will ever make it to DVD and
    when my laserdisk player goes, there goes this LD collection. Nice
    thing about LDs is that I was able to backup everything I do not want
    to lose to DVD-Rs. :)

    As for my HD-DVD player, it is an expensive machine for up conversion.
    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Feb 16, 2008
  13. John Anderson

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:14:43 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored
    <> wrote:

    > You're an idiot.

    [snip drivel]

    Wow you used moron and idiot more often in your single post alone than
    the entire series of Peanut comics. Sure someone made a few mistakes
    but calling them idiot 1,432 times and moron 986 times isn't the right
    way to get the message across.

    And now feel free to refute my very short and more to the point
    counter-flame as you are on ignore filter.

    Impmon, Feb 16, 2008
  14. John Anderson

    Impmon Guest

    <> wrote:

    >In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    >In any of it's many formats?
    >3¼ to go next?
    >Double density, high density,
    >288 k floppies, what happened there?

    You forgot 120MB magneto-optical drive, ZIP drive (cheap back then but
    now more expensive than DVD burners), and more. I do know some
    business still use tape drive for large data backup but even that's
    falling out of favor when 9GB DVD-DL (both +R and -R) blanks are
    costing less, burns faster, and usually have longer shelf life. And
    easy portable USB hard drives up to 500GB (possibly 1TB model?)
    doesn't cost much more than internal hard drive.

    Older technology gone out are: hard wired ROM memory using diodes to
    select 0 and 1 in memory block (one of the earliest arcade game are
    done this way), punch card, and tubes.

    Even hard drive will eventually fade out as new technology makes NVRAM
    (or flash ROM or EEPROM or NAND, etc whatever they are called now day)
    becomes as fast at writes and rewrites as current hard drive plus
    longer useable life (current flash storage is good for around 1
    million write cycles or more)

    I still have cassette drive for the Commodore computer. And I still
    have a few programs on tape that haven't been copied to floppy disk
    yet. This however doesn't make me one of an old foggies but rather a
    more mature one than the other poster.

    Impmon, Feb 16, 2008
  15. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 01:52:15 GMT, "Netmask" <>
    wrote:

    > I also have my beloved and
    >working 32 bit Amiga computer that was multitasking way back in 1985

    Wrong. It was most certainly NOT multi-tasking.

    So, before you go off half cocked, you should at least learn what the
    term means, not merely guess at it.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 16, 2008
  16. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:40:28 -0600, "John Anderson" <>
    wrote:

    >"ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:39:00 -0600, "John Anderson" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gee, I wonder how many more audio/video formats will be made obsolete?
    >>>
    >>>In audio, gone to the grave:
    >>>2 track cartridges,
    >>>4 track cartridges,
    >>>quad track cartridges,
    >>>lots of 1 and 2 track background music
    >>>mobius loop cartridge formats have gone belly up
    >>>as well over the years.
    >>>Reel to reel gone too, I think.

    >> You're an idiot. You skipped ALL of the pressed vinyl formats, plus 78
    >> rpm, and wax drums. You skipped wire recording.
    >>
    >> "2 track cartridges"
    >> ARE still in use. They are called the "cassette tape". Reel-to-reel is
    >> also still in use.
    >>>

    >>>In video, remember Betamax?
    >>>VHS next to go to it's grave?

    >> You're an idiot. Any dope with a search engine could do better than
    >> you. You were probably not even born when half the formats you spew
    >> about came out. Your stupidity factor is too high for you to have
    >> actually been here.
    >>

    >>>In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?

    >> What about 8" floppies, dumbass?
    >>
    >>>In any of it's many formats?

    >> You aren't telling anyone here that has any brains anything new. Do
    >> you feel better just spewing off bullshit? Does it make you feel manly?
    >>
    >>>3¼ to go next?

    >> Idiot! It is 5.25" and 3.5"
    >>
    >>>Double density, high density,

    >> You are triple density dumb, boy.
    >>
    >>>288 k floppies, what happened there?

    >> Wrong! It was 2.88 MB, you stupid ****.
    >>
    >>>Motorized storage systems of all types
    >>>may soon all be obsolete.

    >> You're an idiot. Hard drives are going to be with use for many years
    >> to come.
    >>
    >>>What is modern about any recording system that
    >>>uses a motor to spin it?

    >> Just about every one of them, dumbfucktard. They are all modern. You,
    >> on the other hand, wouldn't know what modern was if it bit you in the
    >> ass.
    >>
    >>>CD, CDR, CDRW, are they next to go?

    >> You're an idiot.
    >>
    >>>Does anyone remember cylinder type records?

    >> Folks likely know a hell of a lot more about it than you do.

    >No use having a discussion with you, you are merely using usenet as a
    >vehicle to insult people!

    You insult yourself with your utter stupidity, dipshit.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 16, 2008
  17. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:31:23 -0600, Allen <> wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >Gibberish proving his own idiocy)
    >That's the last post I will see from you. Why you hadn't already made it
    >to my killfile is a mystery, but that is corrected as of now.
    >Incidentally, you should change part of your sig to BORING instead of BORED.
    >Allen

    You're a goddamned idiot, boy.

    "proving my own idiocy"?

    So you think that there are 3.25 inch floppies in the real world as
    well? You really ARE an idiot.

    Corbomite Carrie, Feb 16, 2008
  18. John Anderson

    usenet Guest

    "Alfred Kaufmann" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:18:43 -0800 (PST), Jim Reid <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just hooked up my laserdisc player to my 50 inch HD set. Looks
    >>pretty good and I have a lot of discs that haven't yet made it to DVD.

    > I too have some laserdisks that I doubt will ever make it to DVD and
    > when my laserdisk player goes, there goes this LD collection. Nice
    > thing about LDs is that I was able to backup everything I do not want
    > to lose to DVD-Rs. :)
    >
    > As for my HD-DVD player, it is an expensive machine for up conversion.
    > Al

    When my old Laser Player broke I took it to the repair shop and they had
    several there. So I bought an old Panasonic and RCA both work fine and
    partly traded my broken Sony.
    He said they always keep a few around because old vidiophiles use them and
    refuse to just throw them out. Thy look good enough and it's kind of fun
    just using old tech sometimes.

    usenet, Feb 16, 2008
  19. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:10:27 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:14:43 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> You're an idiot.

    >[snip drivel]
    >
    >Wow you used moron and idiot more often in your single post alone than
    >the entire series of Peanut comics. Sure someone made a few mistakes
    >but calling them idiot 1,432 times

    Wrong, idiot.

    > and moron 986 times isn't the right
    >way to get the message across.

    I did not call anyone a moron. A subsequent poster called me one, and
    I replied in kind. You however go far beyond moron.

    >And now feel free to refute my very short and more to the point
    >counter-flame as you are on ignore filter.

    As if you knew how to use a filter probably. So, you want to be one of
    those retarded Usenet asswipes that come in, spew you peanut gallery
    horseshit, and then run off like a little pussy with your tail between
    your legs. Good job, asswipe. **** off, pussy boy.

    MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet, Feb 16, 2008
  20. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:22:24 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:39:00 -0600, "John Anderson"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In computers, floppies, who uses 5½ anymore?
    >>In any of it's many formats?
    >>3¼ to go next?
    >>Double density, high density,
    >>288 k floppies, what happened there?

    >You forgot 120MB magneto-optical drive, ZIP drive (cheap back then but
    >now more expensive than DVD burners), and more.

    You're an idiot. ZIP drives have never been cheap, not then or now.

    > I do know some
    >business still use tape drive for large data backup but even that's
    >falling out of favor when 9GB DVD-DL (both +R and -R) blanks are
    >costing less, burns faster, and usually have longer shelf life.

    You're an idiot. A polymer based optical disc recording format does NOT
    have a longer shelf life than a magnetic media format.

    > And
    >easy portable USB hard drives up to 500GB (possibly 1TB model?)
    >doesn't cost much more than internal hard drive.

    Damn, you actually succeeded in making an accurate statement.
    It must have been an accident.

    >Older technology gone out are: hard wired ROM memory using diodes to
    >select 0 and 1 in memory block (one of the earliest arcade game are
    >done this way), punch card, and tubes.

    As if you would even know.

    >Even hard drive will eventually fade out as new technology makes NVRAM
    >(or flash ROM or EEPROM or NAND, etc whatever they are called now day)
    >becomes as fast at writes and rewrites as current hard drive plus
    >longer useable life (current flash storage is good for around 1
    >million write cycles or more)

    Wrong. They will never have a "longer useable life". Hard drives have
    far more high integrity read/write cycles as a baseline than any flash
    does or likely ever will have.

    >I still have cassette drive for the Commodore computer.

    Whoopie fucking doo.

    > And I still
    >have a few programs on tape that haven't been copied to floppy disk
    >yet.

    Tough shit.

    > This however doesn't make me one of an old foggies but rather a
    >more mature one than the other poster.

    You have a maturity level that hovers just above nil.

    MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet, Feb 16, 2008