    unused beside my cd player)?

    Thanks for any advice.

    - Eugel
    Eugel Yeo, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Eugel Yeo

    Dave Guest

    I sold all of my pro 35mm stuff on eBay.
    Dave, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Eugel Yeo

    Fyimo Guest

    Theydon't sell for much with even the latest pro auto focus Camera
    bodies selling for around $300.00. I sold a Canon 1 N for $275. The old
    manual focus you will be giving away. I sold a Minolta X700, power
    winder 35-70mm f3.5 lens and vivitar 285 flash for $125.00.

    if you can use your Nikon lens on the D70 that's a plus. Some autofocus
    lens that didn't sell well before sell well now because of the crop
    factor. An example is the canon ef 70-210 f4 used to be a $75.00 lens
    and now they sell for almost $200.00. They aren't that good of a lens
    to begin with.

    The film stuff isn't going to be worth more because more and more of
    it's going to be coming to the market. Sell now and get what you can.

    The other option is to convince a kid in your family to learn
    photography the right way with film and give him the stuff. If they
    were smart they would say no I will learn it the right way with
    digital.

    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Eugel Yeo

    bob Guest

    "Eugel Yeo" <> wrote in news:41e7c9f5$1
    @news.starhub.net.sg:

    > It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    > same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    > unused beside my cd player)?

    That pretty much sums it up.

    Your lenses will be pretty hard to use too, because the D70 will only meter
    with the new lenses. The only thing I considered keeping mine for was to
    put B&W film into, but in the end even that wasn't a good enough reason to
    keep it.

    Bob
    bob, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Eugel Yeo

    Owamanga Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:32:44 +0800, "Eugel Yeo"
    <> wrote:

    >I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    >and assorted Nikkor lenses.
    >
    >Since I've moved over to digital, I've not touched my film slrs.
    >I'm considering buying a D70. The lenses are potential useful (though
    >the 1.5X factor makes a mockery of my 20mm lens),
    >but I'm torn over what to do with my slr bodies.
    >
    >What do you guys do with your old slrs after you've switched
    >to dslrs? These arent exactly collectible items and so they dont fetch
    >much on the resale market.
    >
    >It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    >same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    >unused beside my cd player)?

    Sell it yesterday before the price drops too far.

    OR..

    ...hold on to it and buy one of those 30Mpixel digital canisters, it's
    the shape of a 35mm film canister with a thin flat bit sticking out
    that holds the full-sized CCD sensor. It fits into any 35mm camera to
    make it digital without any of the cropping factor bullcrap. It has a
    large buffer and uses blue tooth wireless technology to dump the
    images onto the supplied grip, which itself houses the CF writer,
    movable LCD screen, configuration controls, and provides power to the
    sensor / canister using an induction coil.

    By 2015 these things will only be a hundred bucks.

    Next you'll be asking me what to do with your old <10Mpixel DSLRs.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Eugel Yeo

    bmoag Guest

    You can now conisder yourself a collector of Nikon cameras.

    I have a two year old N80 that I hardly use now even though I know that
    images made on film and scanned are significantly higher quality than what
    comes out of my D70: the D70 is just not in the same league as medium speed
    35mm film scanned at 4000dpi.
    bmoag, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Eugel Yeo

    Hunt Guest

    In article <41e7c9f5$>, says...

    >I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    >and assorted Nikkor lenses.
    >
    >Since I've moved over to digital, I've not touched my film slrs.
    >I'm considering buying a D70. The lenses are potential useful (though
    >the 1.5X factor makes a mockery of my 20mm lens),
    >but I'm torn over what to do with my slr bodies.
    >
    >What do you guys do with your old slrs after you've switched
    >to dslrs? These arent exactly collectible items and so they dont fetch
    >much on the resale market.
    >
    >It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    >same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    >unused beside my cd player)?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.
    >
    >- Eugel

    Not to sound trite, but they make great bookends. I have a handful of "
    antique" cameras on display in a bookcase, and will probably add my F2, F2s,
    Nikkormat EL, and my F4's to it soon. As you state, there is little resale
    value, since these are not early Leicas, or something. I'd rather keep them
    and recount the memories that these babies shot.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Eugel Yeo

    Jeremy Guest

    "Hunt" <> wrote in message

    >As you state, there is little resale
    > value, since these are not early Leicas, or something. I'd rather keep

    them
    > and recount the memories that these babies shot.

    Give it another 20 years. Any mechanical camera will be a wanted
    collector's item!
    Jeremy, Jan 14, 2005
  9. Eugel Yeo

    Jeremy Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message

    > I have a two year old N80 that I hardly use now even though I know that
    > images made on film and scanned are significantly higher quality than what
    > comes out of my D70: the D70 is just not in the same league as medium

    speed
    > 35mm film scanned at 4000dpi.

    Why does it have to be an "Either-Or" proposition? I continue to use my
    classic film gear, and I still get much enjoyment from it. And you are 100%
    correct when you say that film still results in a better quality image in
    most instances.

    I am so glad that I did not dump my film cameras. I just put them away for
    a year or so, until I got over the initial novelty of digital.
    Jeremy, Jan 14, 2005
  10. Eugel Yeo

    Marvin Guest

    Eugel Yeo wrote:
    > I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    > and assorted Nikkor lenses.
    >
    > Since I've moved over to digital, I've not touched my film slrs.
    > I'm considering buying a D70. The lenses are potential useful (though
    > the 1.5X factor makes a mockery of my 20mm lens),
    > but I'm torn over what to do with my slr bodies.
    >
    > What do you guys do with your old slrs after you've switched
    > to dslrs? These arent exactly collectible items and so they dont fetch
    > much on the resale market.
    >
    > It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    > same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    > unused beside my cd player)?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > - Eugel

    If you keep it long enough, it may become a valuable antique.
    Marvin, Jan 14, 2005
  11. Eugel Yeo

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Eugel Yeo wrote:
    > > I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    > > and assorted Nikkor lenses.
    > >
    > > Since I've moved over to digital, I've not touched my film slrs.
    > > I'm considering buying a D70. The lenses are potential useful (though
    > > the 1.5X factor makes a mockery of my 20mm lens),
    > > but I'm torn over what to do with my slr bodies.
    > >
    > > What do you guys do with your old slrs after you've switched
    > > to dslrs? These arent exactly collectible items and so they dont fetch
    > > much on the resale market.
    > >
    > > It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    > > same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    > > unused beside my cd player)?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice.
    > >
    > > - Eugel

    > If you keep it long enough, it may become a valuable antique.

    As long as there is film available for my SLR cameras they are not
    "obsolete"!

    OTOH, I dont use them much... To much instant gratification with the
    digitals.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Jan 14, 2005
  12. Eugel Yeo

    Frank ess Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Eugel Yeo wrote:
    >> I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    >> and assorted Nikkor lenses.

    <snip>

    > If you keep it long enough, it may become a valuable antique.

    If you keep it long enough, it may become a valuable (to your
    grandchildren) antique
    Frank ess, Jan 14, 2005
  13. Eugel Yeo

    Fyimo Guest

    I kept one Canon 1N film body that is mint with Power Booster. I have
    probably 100 rolls of film in the refrigerator. I gave my daughter 15
    rolls of B&W film to shoot up. As much as I might think about film and
    shooting it again I doubt if I will ever shoot up the film in my
    refrigerator. I doubt if I will sell the 1N body only because the
    thought of getting $250 bucks for a mint copy distresses me. I already
    sold one for $275 a few months ago.

    I don't know what model cameras the people have that said film is
    better but I like the images I'm getting from my Canon 20D better then
    film. I also get a great deal of enjoyment working the images in
    Photoshop. Like all photography I guess it's an individual thing.

    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 14, 2005
  14. "Eugel Yeo" <> writes:

    >It tears me apart to have to sell them but if I don't, will they go the
    >same way as my old Thorens turntable (which, incidentally sits
    >unused beside my cd player)?

    As an aside, I wish I still had my Thorens turntable. I still have a
    lot of vinyl records, and I'd play them occasionally if I had a working
    turntable. But I "upgraded" from the Thorens to a Micro Seiki, which
    uses an unusual belt that I can't find (the belt goes around the outside
    diameter of the platter and is thus very long).

    If I'd kept the Thorens it would still be working because the belt goes
    around a sub-platter and is a more normal length.

    I do still have all my film SLR gear, but it sat unused for the last
    several years.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jan 14, 2005
  15. Owamanga <> writes:

    >..hold on to it and buy one of those 30Mpixel digital canisters, it's
    >the shape of a 35mm film canister with a thin flat bit sticking out
    >that holds the full-sized CCD sensor. It fits into any 35mm camera to
    >make it digital without any of the cropping factor bullcrap. It has a
    >large buffer and uses blue tooth wireless technology to dump the
    >images onto the supplied grip, which itself houses the CF writer,
    >movable LCD screen, configuration controls, and provides power to the
    >sensor / canister using an induction coil.

    You don't mean the Imagek vapourware, do you? The company went bankrupt
    years ago, and never produced a reasonable product.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jan 14, 2005
  16. Eugel Yeo

    Robert Scott Guest

    "Eugel Yeo" <> wrote in message
    > I've got some old(ish) Nikon eqpt - Nikkormat, F2AS and F3 slrs
    > and assorted Nikkor lenses.
    >
    > Since I've moved over to digital, I've not touched my film slrs.
    > I'm considering buying a D70. The lenses are potential useful (though
    > the 1.5X factor makes a mockery of my 20mm lens),
    > but I'm torn over what to do with my slr bodies.
    >
    > What do you guys do with your old slrs after you've switched
    > to dslrs? These arent exactly collectible items and so they dont fetch
    > much on the resale market.

    I've sold off some Nikon film bodies, but just can't part with my F2S, F3HP
    and two F4S's. I'll keep them for B+W and slide use, and if I stop using
    them for that, I'll build a nice display case for them to put on my wall.
    I'll always love them....

    Good shooting,
    Bob Scott
    Robert Scott, Jan 14, 2005
  17. Eugel Yeo

    Guest

    THorens! I'll bet you were in the service! :)
    , Jan 14, 2005
  18. Eugel Yeo

    George Guest

    "Fyimo" <> wrote in message
    > I kept one Canon 1N film body that is mint with Power Booster. I have
    > probably 100 rolls of film in the refrigerator. I gave my daughter 15
    > rolls of B&W film to shoot up. As much as I might think about film and
    > shooting it again I doubt if I will ever shoot up the film in my
    > refrigerator. I doubt if I will sell the 1N body only because the
    > thought of getting $250 bucks for a mint copy distresses me. I already
    > sold one for $275 a few months ago.
    >
    > I don't know what model cameras the people have that said film is
    > better but I like the images I'm getting from my Canon 20D better then
    > film. I also get a great deal of enjoyment working the images in
    > Photoshop. Like all photography I guess it's an individual thing.
    >
    > Art

    Unfortunately, the depreciation curve is speeding up more than ever with
    digital...in about 5 years you'll be lucky to get $250 for a mint EOS-1Ds
    Mark II... 5-1/2 years and it'd just be landfill...

    George
    George, Jan 14, 2005
  19. Eugel Yeo

    Don Dunlap Guest

    I just bought an Argus C3 on E-bay. It was the first camera that I ever
    owned, having bought it on board ship in the Navy in 1953. I also got a C4,
    which was the second camera I owned. I bought it in 1954 and don't know
    where or when it went.

    My advise is to keep it and when you get to be an old man like me, you can
    look back and remember some of the moments you had with the cameras. My
    other cameras were a Minolta (don't remember the model), which my son has
    and a film Rebel, which I still have. Oh yes, I still have an old polaroid
    that I boughjt back in the 60's.

    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Jan 15, 2005
  20. Eugel Yeo

    Fyimo Guest

    That's a good idea except I'm already 61.

    Art
    Fyimo, Jan 15, 2005