    tabs, not to the left.

    Overall everything seems more modern, though that's expected after such
    a long fallow period.
    Michael Rasmussen, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Michael Rasmussen

    History Fan Guest

    I encountered these glitches while trying out the final version of IE
    7:

    1) Log-in info at several websites was erased every time I rebooted my
    computer. Checked CCleaner, and it was not configured to delete any
    cookies.
    2) Problems viewing websites that required the Flash plugin. I installed
    the darn thing several times, but could not get it to work properly.
    3) Encountered peculiar glitches with the PartyPoker program after
    installing IE 7.
    4) IE 7 installs (for some reason) a startup program called ctfmon.exe, an
    Office XP related-program. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it.
    History Fan, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Michael Rasmussen

    SteveG Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I encountered these glitches while trying out the final version of IE
    > 7:
    >
    > 1) Log-in info at several websites was erased every time I rebooted my
    > computer. Checked CCleaner, and it was not configured to delete any
    > cookies.
    > 2) Problems viewing websites that required the Flash plugin. I installed
    > the darn thing several times, but could not get it to work properly.
    > 3) Encountered peculiar glitches with the PartyPoker program after
    > installing IE 7.
    > 4) IE 7 installs (for some reason) a startup program called ctfmon.exe, an
    > Office XP related-program. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it.

    Are you sure IE7 installed ctfmon.exe? If you're an Office user then
    it's almost certain that it was already on your PC - and it will
    re-install itself each time you delete it, too.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Oct 20, 2006
  4. Michael Rasmussen

    History Fan Guest

    > Are you sure IE7 installed ctfmon.exe? If you're an Office user then it's
    > almost certain that it was already on your PC - and it will re-install
    > itself each time you delete it, too.

    I'm positive Ctfmon.exe was not in my startup before installing IE 7.
    I watch those settings very carefully, and WinPatrol helps me. I have
    another Dell computer, and after installing IE 7 on it, ctfmon.exe was
    suddenly added there too. I've read other complaints about this on Internet
    Explorer newsgroups.
    History Fan, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Michael Rasmussen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > I encountered these glitches while trying out the final version of IE
    > 7:
    >
    > 4) IE 7 installs (for some reason) a startup program called ctfmon.exe, an
    > Office XP related-program. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it.

    Google is your friend.

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ctfmon/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Michael Rasmussen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >> Are you sure IE7 installed ctfmon.exe? If you're an Office user then it's
    >> almost certain that it was already on your PC - and it will re-install
    >> itself each time you delete it, too.
    >>

    > I'm positive Ctfmon.exe was not in my startup before installing IE 7.
    > I watch those settings very carefully, and WinPatrol helps me. I have
    > another Dell computer, and after installing IE 7 on it, ctfmon.exe was
    > suddenly added there too. I've read other complaints about this on Internet
    > Explorer newsgroups.

    Installing ctfmon (the Language Toolbar for Office apps) did happen with
    the installation of IE7. Right-click on the System Tray icon for the
    language bar and you can defeat it (turn it off).

    Ed Mullen, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Michael Rasmussen

    History Fan Guest

    > Installing ctfmon (the Language Toolbar for Office apps) did happen with
    > the installation of IE7. Right-click on the System Tray icon for the
    > language bar and you can defeat it (turn it off).
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

    I seem to remember doing that when I was using IE 7. That removed
    the systray icon, but the program was still running as an XP service and in
    MSCONFIG startup.

    I've studied that MS support website for ctfmon.exe very carefully
    already. The instructions halfway thru don't reflect what I see on my
    computer. Anything to do with Office Language bars was turned off by me,
    but ctfmon somehow survived.
    History Fan, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Michael Rasmussen

    SteveG Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > > Installing ctfmon (the Language Toolbar for Office apps) did happen with
    >> the installation of IE7. Right-click on the System Tray icon for the
    >> language bar and you can defeat it (turn it off).
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

    > I seem to remember doing that when I was using IE 7. That removed
    > the systray icon, but the program was still running as an XP service and in
    > MSCONFIG startup.
    >
    > I've studied that MS support website for ctfmon.exe very carefully
    > already. The instructions halfway thru don't reflect what I see on my
    > computer. Anything to do with Office Language bars was turned off by me,
    > but ctfmon somehow survived.

    Likewise I have the language tools turned off ... and ctfmon still keeps
    re-installing itself. I've given up trying to get rid of it and marked
    it as a moral victory for Bill Gates :))

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Michael Rasmussen

    History Fan Guest

    "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    > I encountered these glitches while trying out the final version of
    > IE 7:
    >
    > 1) Log-in info at several websites was erased every time I rebooted my
    > computer. Checked CCleaner, and it was not configured to delete any
    > cookies.
    > 2) Problems viewing websites that required the Flash plugin. I installed
    > the darn thing several times, but could not get it to work properly.
    > 3) Encountered peculiar glitches with the PartyPoker program after
    > installing IE 7.
    > 4) IE 7 installs (for some reason) a startup program called ctfmon.exe,
    > an Office XP related-program. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it.

    I have been able to solve the above problems:

    1) I found out that CCleaner is not 100% compatible with IE 7, and that is
    causing the log-in glitch. CCleaner has been totally disabled, log-in info
    re-entered, and now it does not disappear after every reboot.
    2) I installed the Flash plug-in while using IE 6. Worked fine then, and
    also after upgrading to IE 7.
    3) I have no answer for this, other than PartyPoker works fine now.
    4) This procedure turns off ctfmon.exe:

    Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages Tab,
    Click Details, Advanced Tab, Put a check in "Turn off advanced text
    services
    History Fan, Oct 23, 2006