    track on the DVDs.

    Even the live concerts and documentaries are in stereo! What a
    disappointment.
    Opticreep, Dec 3, 2004

  2. (Opticreep) wrote in news:9e1f277e.0412030433.2f1a2e38
    @posting.google.com:

    > I just bought Oasis's "Definitely Maybe" 2-DVD set (Region Free). I
    > was really looking forward to hearing the album in DTS or Dolby
    > Digital DVD audio.
    >
    > I was quite surprised to find the entire DVD only in stereo. I mean,
    > I'm all for preserving the original stereo mix of these songs... but
    > they ought to have included all the songs in both stereo and surround
    > sound format. It's kind of lame to have a DVD music album and *not*
    > have a surround sound DTS or dolby mix. As sparse as the features are,
    > there should've been more than enough room for more than one audio
    > track on the DVDs.
    >
    > Even the live concerts and documentaries are in stereo! What a
    > disappointment.

    no one actually cares.

    --
    ta,
    tHc

    ~~

    the sun will shine on you again
    a bell will ring inside your head
    and all will be brand new
    TheHeathenChemist, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    Dick Splodge Guest

    > no one actually cares.

    you got THAT right
    Dick Splodge, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    Snapper Guest

    Opticreep wrote:
    > I just bought Oasis's "Definitely Maybe" 2-DVD set (Region Free). I
    > was really looking forward to hearing the album in DTS or Dolby
    > Digital DVD audio.
    >
    > I was quite surprised to find the entire DVD only in stereo. I mean,
    > I'm all for preserving the original stereo mix of these songs... but
    > they ought to have included all the songs in both stereo and surround
    > sound format. It's kind of lame to have a DVD music album and *not*
    > have a surround sound DTS or dolby mix. As sparse as the features are,
    > there should've been more than enough room for more than one audio
    > track on the DVDs.

    i think that due to the way the songs were recorded, surround sound might be
    an impossibility.

    Snapper, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    _ jr _ Guest

    the recording process for DM was so "straightforward" that it would sounded
    horrible in surround. there is a lot of leakage on the mics (ie, if you
    were to isolate the drums, you'd be able to hear guitars in the background,
    etc). so a surround mix would sound really murky.

    i have the WTSMG surround sound SACD, and it's pretty awful, for the same
    reasons. and maybe the fact that not much care was spent on putting it into
    surround. it sounds much better in stereo.

    i doubt that a surround sound DM would sound any better than putting it
    through a home theatre on Dolby Pro Logic II for music.

    j.

    _ jr _, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    "_ jr _" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > i doubt that a surround sound DM would sound any better than putting it
    > through a home theatre on Dolby Pro Logic II for music.

    I beg to differ. I bought the Beatles Anthology DVD, and the surround
    DTS mix of the songs are great. If they could make great sounding DTS
    surround sound out of 40-year old music, I'm sure they could do even
    better with 10-year old music. So what if it's "fake" surround
    sound... as long as it sounds good.

    I mean, the Beatles Anthology AT LEAST gave the listener three
    choices: PCM stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS. IMHO, any music DVD
    should offer at least that much. Audio is the most important part of
    any music DVD, and people should have other alternatives to audio
    tracks other than plain, vanilla stereo.
    Opticreep, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Opticreep wrote:
    > I mean, the Beatles Anthology AT LEAST gave the listener three
    > choices: PCM stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS. IMHO, any music DVD
    > should offer at least that much. Audio is the most important part of
    > any music DVD, and people should have other alternatives to audio
    > tracks other than plain, vanilla stereo.

    I would much rather have a good stereo mix than a halfassed
    surround sound mix. Don't get me wrong, I love multichannel music
    (as my DVD player does both SACD and DVD-A) and its
    tremendous when done right - but I don't want a mix that is badly
    done. The SACD 5.1 mix on Roger Waters "In The Flesh" is
    horrible, sad when the Dolby 5.1 mix on the DVD Video is 1,000%
    better even in clarity and overall use of the surrounds. The SACD
    version at best used the surrounds about 4 times maybe during the
    entire concert while the DVD Video had them in use the entire time.
    Very sad indeed....

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 5, 2004
  8. Opticreep

    Tod Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > Opticreep wrote:
    > > I mean, the Beatles Anthology AT LEAST gave the listener three
    > > choices: PCM stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS. IMHO, any music DVD
    > > should offer at least that much. Audio is the most important part of
    > > any music DVD, and people should have other alternatives to audio
    > > tracks other than plain, vanilla stereo.

    > I would much rather have a good stereo mix than a halfassed
    > surround sound mix. Don't get me wrong, I love multichannel music
    > (as my DVD player does both SACD and DVD-A) and its
    > tremendous when done right - but I don't want a mix that is badly
    > done. The SACD 5.1 mix on Roger Waters "In The Flesh" is
    > horrible, sad when the Dolby 5.1 mix on the DVD Video is 1,000%
    > better even in clarity and overall use of the surrounds. The SACD
    > version at best used the surrounds about 4 times maybe during the
    > entire concert while the DVD Video had them in use the entire time.
    > Very sad indeed....
    >
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little

    That's really very surprising to hear about the SACD release of Water's ITF.
    He is usually such a fanatic about sonic quality and spacing out the sound
    to it's full potential for a surround environment. Just go to one of his
    concerts. - Tod
    Tod, Dec 13, 2004