    Do your worst.

    squirrel
    I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead
    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    EMB Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.

    A $200 PC from trademe with either one of the Linux distros or Win98,
    Openoffice and an AV solution if running Windows.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:09:15 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Squirrel wrote:
    >> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >> building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>
    >> Do your worst.

    > A $200 PC from trademe with either one of the Linux distros or Win98,
    > Openoffice and an AV solution if running Windows.

    Naaaaah.. she wants AMD 64 with at _least_ a gig of ddr ...

    Shane, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:54:28 +1300, Squirrel wrote:

    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.

    How about the idea that you provide one which meets the specs above and
    then your friend gets with it and suddenly more power is needed and *now*
    please. It happens.
    Gordon, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:09:15 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >

    >>Squirrel wrote:
    >>
    >>>Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >>>building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >>>minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>>
    >>>Do your worst.

    >>A $200 PC from trademe with either one of the Linux distros or Win98,
    >>Openoffice and an AV solution if running Windows.

    > Naaaaah.. she wants AMD 64 with at _least_ a gig of ddr ...

    You're probably right.

    All the older people I know who have got into computing don't have time
    to waste. They are often very busy and trying to fit a lot into their days.

    So why shouldn't they get a PC at least as fast as anyone else, if not
    faster?
    -=rjh=-, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.
    >
    > squirrel

    No need for anything flash or even brand new.
    Cash Convertors had a Celeron running XP Professional for just under $400 -
    17" monitor etc.
    At least they offer a month warranty as well.

    If going brand new any budget PC will do that. She just won't be able to
    play the latest 3D games on it.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 10, 2005
  7. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Cash Convertors had a Celeron running XP Professional for just under $400 -
    > 17" monitor etc.

    Yes, but watch out as Windows XP really needs 256mb of memory as a
    usuable minimum, and 512mb is nice.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Squirrel <> wrote in

    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.
    >
    > squirrel
    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    people throw away computers that can do this, sad but true.
    all you need is a p200 and about 64 megs of ram and puppy linux

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:51:46 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >> building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>
    >> Do your worst.
    >>
    >> squirrel

    >No need for anything flash or even brand new.
    >Cash Convertors had a Celeron running XP Professional for just under $400 -
    >17" monitor etc.
    >At least they offer a month warranty as well.
    >
    >If going brand new any budget PC will do that. She just won't be able to
    >play the latest 3D games on it.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    i would not buy from them if my life depended on it

    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    MarkH Guest

    Squirrel <> wrote in

    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.
    >
    > squirrel
    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    If your friend doesn't want the risk of a possibly unreliable 2nd hand PC
    then I would suggest a nice new one.

    If you are looking to run WinXP then 512MB should be a good amount of RAM
    at a reasonable price.

    A Sempron or Celeron processor should be fine.

    A 40GB or 80GB HDD is unlikely to fall short.

    The screen should easily fit, maybe an LCD if there is not a lot of room
    wherever your friend wants to set it up. Go with a 17", not too dear.

    Anything basic is likely to handle the job quite well, my main advice is
    that 256MB RAM for WinXP is not a good idea. Your friend probably wouldn't
    want to risk dieing of old age while waiting for the PC to do something.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    steve Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.
    >
    > squirrel
    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    Can the person type?

    If not....don't waste your time.

    I gave a PC to an elderly woman...and a few months later she gave it back.

    It took her SO long to login via dial-up and then type an e-mail, she
    reckoned it was faster to write a letter nad post it.

    I went over and watched and it could take up to a full minute to enter her
    login password.

    Huuuuunnnnnnnnttttt aaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd pppppeeeeeeeccccckkkkkk.
    steve, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    Mercury Guest

    Mavis Beacon CD.
    30 minutes makes a huge change.

    Mercury, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    PC Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    > building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    > minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >
    > Do your worst.
    >
    > squirrel
    > I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    Squirrel

    Well you got a whole range of replies there.

    If they are complete greenhorns I suggest you find them a loaner lower end
    W2K/XP machine and see how they get on.
    Some will hand them back and say 'not for me'

    My Dad was one of those, not, surprisingly, because of typing skills, but
    because the last few years of his working life was dominated by an IBM stock
    control database running on a System 36. He just couldn't get the hang of
    WIMP's

    OAP's I have delt with invariably end up with a mid range PC ($1300- $1800)
    They appreciate the better performance, and genuinely notice the slow
    performance of 'older' PC;s.
    Not unexpectedly they generally don't waste money on top end machines/fancy
    graphics cards etc, they do however like LCD Screens.

    OAP's find newer PC's are generally more reliable. Where you or I might just
    accept win9x crashes & press the reset button, OAP's don't like that.
    In fact they are very particular about stability, i.e. they want that Icon
    there and they want it there every time they start their PC.
    They want the PC to act the same every time they use it, and they don't want
    to be bothered with all this updating business, just set it up to do it
    'AutoMagically'

    That's not to say some OAP's won't dig deep. I have one that while on win98
    regualrly needed a ghost reinstall every 6 months because of trying out
    free/fix everything/speedup downloads of the Web.

    So to summarise, mid range PC with LCD screen set up with automatic updates
    and stability in mind.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:51:46 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >>> building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >>> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>>
    >>> Do your worst.
    >>>
    >>> squirrel

    >>No need for anything flash or even brand new.
    >>Cash Convertors had a Celeron running XP Professional for just under
    >>$400 -
    >>17" monitor etc.
    >>At least they offer a month warranty as well.
    >>
    >>If going brand new any budget PC will do that. She just won't be able to
    >>play the latest 3D games on it.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > i would not buy from them if my life depended on it
    >
    > squirrel

    No one told you to.
    The needs of the person that wants a computer are not great needs at all.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 10, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> Cash Convertors had a Celeron running XP Professional for just under
    >> $400 - 17" monitor etc.

    > Yes, but watch out as Windows XP really needs 256mb of memory as a usuable
    > minimum, and 512mb is nice.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Without Nortons XP runs just fine on 256MB and that's with shared video.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Squirrel <> wrote in
    >
    >> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay
    >> if building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>
    >> Do your worst.
    >>
    >> squirrel
    >> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    > people throw away computers that can do this, sad but true.
    > all you need is a p200 and about 64 megs of ram and puppy linux

    Or Win 98SE.

    I find it's not the old boxen that are 'rare', it's a good monitor to go
    with it. Very important for an OAP.

    Personally, I'd suggest a new budget Dell. <barf! did I really say that?> Oh
    well, horses for courses and a Dell is probably just what they need.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    steve Guest

    Mercury wrote:

    > Mavis Beacon CD.
    > 30 minutes makes a huge change.

    She would have to want to. Um....no. It was then i realised she didn't
    really want a computer after all.

    I'd effectively called her bluff. Had I known, I would have left her with
    her excuses and a credible excuse for not being on e-mail. I deprived her
    of the latter, which I do now regret.

    But it is an excellent suggestion you make and would work very well for most
    people.

    steve, Nov 10, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:32:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> Squirrel <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay
    >>> if building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >>> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>>
    >>> Do your worst.
    >>>
    >>> squirrel
    >>> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >> people throw away computers that can do this, sad but true.
    >> all you need is a p200 and about 64 megs of ram and puppy linux

    >Or Win 98SE.
    >
    >I find it's not the old boxen that are 'rare', it's a good monitor to go
    >with it. Very important for an OAP.
    >
    >Personally, I'd suggest a new budget Dell. <barf! did I really say that?> Oh
    >well, horses for courses and a Dell is probably just what they need.

    neglected to say she wants a laptop, and new, not wanting second hand

    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:40:42 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Squirrel <> wrote in
    >
    >> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >> building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>
    >> Do your worst.
    >>
    >> squirrel
    >> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >If your friend doesn't want the risk of a possibly unreliable 2nd hand PC
    >then I would suggest a nice new one.
    >
    >If you are looking to run WinXP then 512MB should be a good amount of RAM
    >at a reasonable price.
    >
    >A Sempron or Celeron processor should be fine.
    >
    >A 40GB or 80GB HDD is unlikely to fall short.
    >
    >The screen should easily fit, maybe an LCD if there is not a lot of room
    >wherever your friend wants to set it up. Go with a 17", not too dear.
    >
    >Anything basic is likely to handle the job quite well, my main advice is
    >that 256MB RAM for WinXP is not a good idea. Your friend probably wouldn't
    >want to risk dieing of old age while waiting for the PC to do something.

    thanx that is what i was looking for

    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:22:50 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> Okay all you pc buliders, what should i look for, and expect to pay if
    >> building a pxc for my elderly friend. just wants dial up email and
    >> minimal surfing, possibly run Office or more basic wp.
    >>
    >> Do your worst.
    >>
    >> squirrel
    >> I think extreme heterosexuality is a perversion - Margaret Mead

    >Can the person type?
    >
    >If not....don't waste your time.
    >
    >I gave a PC to an elderly woman...and a few months later she gave it back.
    >
    >It took her SO long to login via dial-up and then type an e-mail, she
    >reckoned it was faster to write a letter nad post it.
    >
    >I went over and watched and it could take up to a full minute to enter her
    >login password.
    >
    >Huuuuunnnnnnnnttttt aaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd pppppeeeeeeeccccckkkkkk.

    already does email via dial up on very old latop

    Squirrel, Nov 10, 2005