O/T I need a simple woodworking answer please - hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by loomis, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. loomis

    loomis Guest

    Hi there I hope it is ok to post this here. I realize it's kinda off
    topic.

    But I realize there are a lot of smart people here so I imagine
    somebody can help me real quick.

    Question:

    I live in an old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
    floorboards is this stuff. Black stuff. Used to fill the gaps.
    Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:

    beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...

    Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
    it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
    from the storage area on the first floor.

    What is that black stuff? Wood filler? Does that stuff come in black?

    I'm looking for a cheap sorta buy-a-tub-of-cheap-wood-filler or
    whatever sorta fix, so long as it dries hard as wood and is black.

    Thanks a bunch,

    Loomis

    PS- my news server doesn't seem to have a carpentry group (or I was
    too stupid to find it) so apologies for posting here.

    loomis, Oct 1, 2003

  2. loomis

    Stevo Guest

    loomis wrote:
    > Hi there I hope it is ok to post this here. I realize it's kinda off
    > topic.
    >
    > But I realize there are a lot of smart people here so I imagine
    > somebody can help me real quick.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > I live in an old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
    > floorboards is this stuff. Black stuff. Used to fill the gaps.
    > Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:
    >
    > beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...
    >
    > Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
    > it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
    > from the storage area on the first floor.
    >
    > What is that black stuff? Wood filler? Does that stuff come in black?
    >
    > I'm looking for a cheap sorta buy-a-tub-of-cheap-wood-filler or
    > whatever sorta fix, so long as it dries hard as wood and is black.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Loomis
    >
    > PS- my news server doesn't seem to have a carpentry group (or I was
    > too stupid to find it) so apologies for posting here.

    The general consensus would be that nothing is OT here

    It's probably a caulking compound.Your local hardware store should have
    something or perhaps try something from a marine shop for caulking boat
    decks. Sikaflex products are good and available in different colours and
    grades but I wouldn't know if they are available where you are.

    It is probably better that the product remains a bit flexible to allow for
    expansion/contraction which woul crack/loosen a rigid filler..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 1, 2003

  3. loomis

    Harrison Guest

    Can you get rec.woodworking?

    Harrison, Oct 1, 2003
  4. loomis

    Harrison Guest

    Wild blue guess...roofing cement.

    Harrison, Oct 1, 2003
  5. loomis

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:14:10 GMT, loomis <> scribbled:

    >Hi there I hope it is ok to post this here. I realize it's kinda off
    >topic.
    >
    >But I realize there are a lot of smart people here so I imagine
    >somebody can help me real quick.
    >
    >Question:
    >
    >I live in an old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
    >floorboards is this stuff. Black stuff. Used to fill the gaps.
    >Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:
    >
    >beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...
    >
    >Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
    >it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
    >from the storage area on the first floor.
    >
    >What is that black stuff? Wood filler? Does that stuff come in black?
    >
    >I'm looking for a cheap sorta buy-a-tub-of-cheap-wood-filler or
    >whatever sorta fix, so long as it dries hard as wood and is black.

    Depending on how large the gaps are between the boards you
    can get some rope and hammer it down into the gaps with a
    putty knife. I've seen it done on This Old House before. If not
    go to a hardware store and ask what to use.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 1, 2003
  6. loomis

    trout Guest

    loomis wrote:

    > Hi there I hope it is ok to post this here. I realize it's kinda off
    > topic.
    >
    > But I realize there are a lot of smart people here so I imagine
    > somebody can help me real quick.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > I live in an old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
    > floorboards is this stuff. Black stuff. Used to fill the gaps.
    > Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:
    >
    > beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...
    >
    > Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
    > it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
    > from the storage area on the first floor.
    >
    > What is that black stuff? Wood filler? Does that stuff come in black?

    Who knows? Depending on how old your house is; it could be
    horse-hair and pitch.

    > I'm looking for a cheap sorta buy-a-tub-of-cheap-wood-filler or
    > whatever sorta fix, so long as it dries hard as wood and is black.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Loomis

    If you can find it in black, I'd go with an exterior-grade latex
    caulking. This would give you a hard, sealed, cleanable surface; but be
    less prone to cracking and popping out as would a hard 'wood-filler'
    (especially a cheap one).
    Clean all broken and loose material out first, and level it with the
    boards with a putty-knife.
    --
    "If you *can't* find the right colour; it's paintable."

    trout, Oct 1, 2003
  7. loomis wrote:

    > Hi there I hope it is ok to post this here. I realize it's kinda off
    > topic.
    >
    > But I realize there are a lot of smart people here so I imagine
    > somebody can help me real quick.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > I live in an old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
    > floorboards is this stuff. Black stuff. Used to fill the gaps.
    > Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:
    >
    > beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...
    >
    > Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
    > it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
    > from the storage area on the first floor.
    >
    > What is that black stuff? Wood filler? Does that stuff come in black?
    >
    > I'm looking for a cheap sorta buy-a-tub-of-cheap-wood-filler or
    > whatever sorta fix, so long as it dries hard as wood and is black.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Loomis
    >
    > PS- my news server doesn't seem to have a carpentry group (or I was
    > too stupid to find it) so apologies for posting here.

    Tried alt.home.repair?

    There's a possibility you might be able to attack the problem from the
    underside if the basement space isn't too crowded. Stapling plastic
    sheeting to the underside of the joists might accomplish the desired
    purpose. Or you could go whole-hog and apply insulation and a layer of
    plywood underneath that to hold it in, which would not only cut down the
    draft but also give you an additional buffer against hot and cold.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    <<Take THAT, VeriSlime!

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 2, 2003
  8. loomis

    loomis Guest

    Definately cannot get into the basement and work from the ceiling up.
    There's a warehouse below me.

    I am gonna see if my ISP's newsserver has those two groups that were
    recommended. I only looked for carpentry and woodworking with no luck.
    But I'm going to look again tonight.

    Someone else told me to fill the joints with sand, Interesting.

    Thanks everyone.

    Loomis

    loomis, Oct 2, 2003
  9. loomis